1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

April Chat thread anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 02:01 AM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't say I've tried that....but I'm sure there's some fairly rare stuff at the yard I went to. I'm still pretty surprised I found such a nice truck to pick parts from, lol.

What got me was that the male end of the middle belt doesn't fit through the little plastic grommets in the new seat. Oddly, the one that was in the truck I got the seat from was able to fit through fine. I thought they were the same. Huh.

BTW, I had to wrestle the old seat out and the new one in by myself....then I had to lay on the ground, tightening the left rear seat mounting bolt from inside the cab whilst holding the threaded metal clip in place (it's supposed to be welded to the floor...) from under the truck. But I got it all fixed up and I'm happy as can be.

Before I put the new gauges in, I'm going to have to decide whether or not I want to mess with trying to swap over my C6-pattern shifter indicator (the little panel below the tach opening) to the new cluster, or just keep the AOD pattern and avoid screwing stuff up. lol. Either way, I think it should line up.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:24 AM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda stinks, went to college for 5 years and got 2 degrees and now I'm back doing what I was before, farm work, logging, car repair, house repair. Jack of all trades and far from mastering any of them. At least i have something to fall back on. I'm thinking of investing all my money in firearms, ammunition, liquor, and duct tape.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:36 AM
bghnkinf250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I am tired of getting 10-11 mpg with my truck. I climbed under the house today and pulled out one of my old Q jets. I am picking up an adapter for it and am going to try it on the truck.

You can not go wrong investing in firearms and ammo, which reminds me I need to get some .223.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Chitownhillbilly
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fepowerguy8
I'm thinking of investing all my money in firearms, ammunition, liquor, and duct tape.
Throw in Drugs and really big wheels on mid 80's Caprices and I'd swear you wanted to invest in the neighborhood down the street...

Old 04-02-2010, 11:27 AM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Oh lol that reminds me. There's this car here in town, I think a later model Crown Vic, and it's got a suspension lift so it can fit like 22s. I guess something happened to the wheels, because as I passed it the other day, it had regular wheels and tires...with the suspension lift still in place.

But we all know that Ford trucks look better with huge rims.

(lol, to my knowledge, this picture is not photoshopped)

Old 04-02-2010, 01:22 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fepowerguy8
I'm thinking of investing all my money in firearms, ammunition, liquor, and duct tape.

Works for me!

I am about to go work on my truck.
Not an 80-86, its a 90.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I guess investing in booze and guns is better than spending it all on hookers.......

Old 04-02-2010, 06:10 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Just installed the "new" gauges

Had to replace pretty much every single backlight and indicator bulb, but now it works. All the gauges work except for the tach, but I think that's because the connector in my dash doesn't have the pin (or contact, rather) for it.

The speedometer reads almost spot-on, but I still get some wobbling at lower speeds. It also reads fast if I speed up then let off the gas and coast. If I'm accelerating from a stop, it reads correctly. I guess I need a new cable, huh? :P

I might need to replace the little cable for the gearshift indicator though. It doesn't always line up like it should. It's actually got an AOD shift pattern on it, but it's the same number of gearshift positions in the same locations as my C6 one.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:11 PM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
Man, I didn't even think of hookers, I guess my mind isn't in the right place I should add that to my stock portfolio.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:14 PM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
Is that a magnetic or cable driven speedo? I never took my apart, but guessing it's magnetic, something just might be dirty. And is the cable tight? If not I find swearing and violence often solves the problem. I actually fixed a speedo today by swearing at it and beating on it.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
For the tach, look under the hood. Near the ignition module, there should be another connector similar to the ones on the DS2 module.
That is, as I understand it, only used for the tach equipped trucks. Should be 2 wires, and 2 plugs that look like they should fit together. If that's not plugged together, do it, and try the tach again.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:47 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
It has a cable running from the transmission to the gauge...not sure if the gauge itself is magnetic or not. I noticed that if I turned the speedometer by hand from the back, it would rise like usual, but when I stopped turning it, it would smoothly drop back to zero. If it were non-magnetic, like gear drive or something, wouldn't it drop to zero right away? And it should be tight, I just put it on today and I heard it click in place. I might see if I can reach my arm up into the dash and check it. I don't want to take it all back apart again...lol.

In the next few weeks, I'm wanting to go back and snag the steering wheel out of the same truck, plus a couple of bumpers. Both the XLT Lariat I got my seat and gauges from and the junked out F250 near it have nice straight front bumpers, both with the push pads and black bumper trim. The F250 has one of the straightest rear bumpers I've seen.

Sure is nice to be able to actually do some serious work on my truck. One of these days I'll find a T18 or ZF5 and get that auto-to-manual conversion rolling.

EDIT: I'll take a look. I just hope I don't blow nothing up...lol

Old 04-02-2010, 07:18 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
There's two more connectors near the DS box, but they're already connected. There's a small plastic connector near those though, with what appears to be a female end of a spade connector-style connection. Not sure what it could be for.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:37 PM
bghnkinf250
Fleet Mechanic
The hookers might be bad, unless they are free, but then I guess they would just be *****s. I would go for the *****s first then the hookers - I am a cheap SOB.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:38 PM
bghnkinf250
Fleet Mechanic
Hey, I wrote ***** and it only came up as *****. I did not know ***** was considered a bad word. Sorry to offend with the use of *****.

Quick Reply: April Chat thread anyone?