Tranny Re-Flash

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 05:54 PM
F TOO FITTY
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Re-Flash

Hi All

My truck (09 5.4 4x4 3.73 157") was shifting weird from 1-2 like many others; especially during warm up. When I read the 09-11-5 TSB, I thought they wrote it specifically for me.

Sure enough, the dealer re-flashed the tranny and it seems to be doing better, but something has been bothering me about this...

I asked if it would take long for the transmission to re-learn my driving style, and the tech mentioned he didn't reset the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) - he said it wasn't necessary.

Well in the text of that TSB, it says

NOTE: IT IS CRITICAL THAT TCM KAM BE CLEARED FOR THIS PROCEDURE TO BE FULLY AFFECTIVE.

Something about the word "CRITICAL" gets my attention. Why would the tech not do this?

Old 03-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by F TOO FITTY
Hi All

My truck (09 5.4 4x4 3.73 157") was shifting weird from 1-2 like many others; especially during warm up. When I read the 09-11-5 TSB, I thought they wrote it specifically for me.

Sure enough, the dealer re-flashed the tranny and it seems to be doing better, but something has been bothering me about this...

I asked if it would take long for the transmission to re-learn my driving style, and the tech mentioned he didn't reset the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) - he said it wasn't necessary.

Well in the text of that TSB, it says

NOTE: IT IS CRITICAL THAT TCM KAM BE CLEARED FOR THIS PROCEDURE TO BE FULLY AFFECTIVE.

Something about the word "CRITICAL" gets my attention. Why would the tech not do this?
Because he is a dough head!

Go back and ask them to redo it

Old 03-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Jakemedic
New User
2010 with tranny problems

Hello!
I just purchased my 2010 F150 s/c 4x4 on Saturday....Already been to the dealer and was re-flashed, brought back to me tonite. The tranny "surge" or "clunk" between drive and reverse occured twice tonite.... Needless to say it will be going back, possibly as soon as tomorrow. Time number two already, Iowa has a three strikes and their out lemon law. For $28,000, should not have to deal with this. Anyone else having these issues with their 2010?

Old 03-09-2010, 11:49 PM
F TOO FITTY
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Ford Fx4
Because he is a dough head!

Go back and ask them to redo it
dang it. You've confirmed my first thought. I just hate going into the dealer and saying "well on the Ford Truck Enthusiast forum, a guy said..."

But I guess it shouldn't be unreasonable to simply want my truck fixed right. If they will acknowledge they did something incorrectly on my vehicle, they should certainly fix it without giving me any crap.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:05 AM
Jakemedic
New User
Additional 2010 info

Hey!

Knowlege is power and "the guys on the F150 Forum" is a tool that wasn't available all that long ago. Before you were on an island, not knowing if anyone else is having the problem, or if it was something that you did wrong, etc.... Instead, as we are finding, these trucks have issues, and sharing information between us, as long as it isn't fiction, is a very good thing!!!!

I will give my local dealer credit though, I was expecting the old "there ain't nothing wrong with the truck" routine. The service tech has been working on Fords for 30+ years and the Service Manager said that he had a 2009 and it DIDN'T have the problem that I am having.... The dealer (sales) has been very simpathetic with my cause....but still the truck is only 4 DAYS OLD!!!!

I am very hesitant to start putting accessories or even look at them at this point. I need bedliner, bed cover, boards, seat covers, and in fact was planning on rust proofing it cause I keep my vehicles forever. Ironically, the 2010 F150 is replacing a 1998 Tacoma that was bought back 2 weeks ago because of frame rust!!!!!! I don't think I can catch a break on quality. On the bright side of that situation is that Toyota actually stood behind their product and bought it back for 1.5 times KBB Retail, a nice downpayment, but unfortunately on more problems!

This morning I was out in the garage with my morning cup of mud and thought to myself that the Oxford White would make a great rolling billboard with bright red collors if they don't do me right with this whole thing....

I think I may contact the Attorney General's Office here in Iowa this morning to get some advise on my situation. Before they start tearing into the transmission to figure out what is wrong, I want a new truck....My problem with that is are they all this way????? As I said earlier in this rambling, I tend to keep my vehicles 10+ years...

Please if anyone else is having this problem, post here, we maybe all helping each other.

Be safe out there....

Jake

Old 03-10-2010, 02:48 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
^geez, only 4 days old, Jake why don't drive your truck some and see if it gets better. It still needs to learn your driving style. There will be some jerks and clunks and hunting for gears when it's brand new, but it should go away. If it doesn't, then it's time for the dealer/Ford to do something about it.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 AM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
Touche'! All newer vehicles have adaptive learning to adjust to each individual driving style. It is going to be kinda awkward at first. Also, let it "break in". don't sweat it so much. Ford knows what they are doing. These are great transmissions. Give it a chance.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Jakemedic
New User
2010 F150

Thanks for your input, I appreciate your experiences, IF that is the case and it will get better, OUTSTANDING!!! Here is the rest of my "if" comment though.....

My driving pattern is that I buy a vehicle, and keep it until the wheels fall off of it......I hate payments. So one must wonder what is the long term ramifications of having the transmission act this way? Is it somehow affecting its long term drivability or reliability? At 62,000 miles is the transmission going to fail because of this and I will be stuck with the 3 to 5 thousand dollar bill because the transmission is out of warantee? I have a very good friend that this scenario happened to with a GM product except in his case it was 200 miles! GM paid nothing towards its rebuild...

I do understand that in todays society people see vehicles as disposable and that most Americans get sick of a vehicle and get rid of it before it is even paid for! That is why they have "gap insurance", which makes alot of sense for the scores of people who roll the upside down value of their trade in to their next vehicle... They won't worry about what a break in period is doing to the long term use of their vehicle.

Unfortunately, I am not that way...As stated above, I keep my vehicles and drive them. I don't like car payments and believe that a vehicle should not only outlast the 60 month loan, but the next 60 months too! And even more importantly it shouldn't dollar you to death!

This is my first brand new vehicle in my life, for 28K I have an expectation that the vehicle should be PERFECT in every way..... I am not talking about a squeak in a shock here, I am talking about a transmission, something that will keep me from going down the road if the transmission isn't correct.

Again, I appreciate everyone's input, and I would like to say the dealership, for the most part, has been very good to deal with. I would also say that I LOVE my F150, it is solid comfortable, great finish, sounds wonderful and I don't mind making payments on it.

I will continue to post as I learn and find out more....

Be safe out there....

Jake

Old 03-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Fordhauler450
New User

Wow Jake! If I was that paronoid about a new truck I would buy a used one with 100K miles on it or go buy a Dodge, then you will know what transmission problems really are lol. These things are mechanical and only as good as the weakest part (which we never know what is). Do you go to Vegas and expect the 7's to line up the first pull??? if so, maybe would be better to take your chances on a used one.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:58 PM
F TOO FITTY
Mountain Pass
I hear Jake loud and clear. I plan on having my truck for a long time - more than 10 years for sure. But I do think it needs to "learn" - whether or not we like this learning stuff, this truck needs to go through that. So go drive it in town, then on the highway, then out in the country; give it a good sample of what you're gonna be doin. And don't drive it like an old lady - drive it normal.

Just my .02 - and yes, I like it when the dealer gives me BlackJack on the first hand!

Old 03-12-2010, 01:17 PM
ns_redneck
Senior User
mine did it for a while. but i notice it going away. it just hit 16000km. i know the first 8000km it seemed a little rouph, but i have noticed it getting better. i know if i let up on the gas a little around when its suppost to shift i can get a good clunk. but if i keep my foot in it it seems fine.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:43 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd get an aftermarket tuner with a good tune and done. The whole truck will work better, not just the trans. Mike at 5 Star Tuning knows what hes doing with Fords.

The 5speed autos in the Explorers have similar issues, at least they did a few years ago. The shift strategy on them is horrible, they would thunk mainly when cold throw you forward between shifts and etc.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Jakemedic
New User
Greetings!
First, I am not paranoid, just concerned. Throughout the sales process, I was told by multiple salesmen that this vehicles quality is second to none! I love the truck, it is a BEAUTIFUL vehicle, probably the best built vehicle I have ever purchased, but with that said it is back in the shop today, second time in less than 2 weeks.....Salesman called late this afternoon, fairly nervous and said that it maybe a few days, couldn't tell me what Service was up to.... I came home from work and dropped a dime to the service manager to see what was up.......

He said it would be a few days, they have been on the phone with Ford to try and figure out the problem, and once it is figured out, they will fix it. I just asked that he kept me informed and thanked him.

The GOOD: QUALITY PEOPLE at Ford Service, that admitted there is a problem with shifting my transmission from drive to reverse and reverse to drive. They are working HARD to find the problem and fix it.....

The BAD: I am somewhat disheartened over undiagnosised problems with 2300 miles and just over a week old. I still have to pay for the vehicle even though it is in Service.

The BRIGHT SIDE: At least I don't have to worry about having my wife drive it and having serious safety problems.

I will post what the prognosis is once they let me know. I am the the new guy on the block, I want to learn from the expertise here and enjoy my new truck! I have money burning a hole in my pocket and want to start putting accessories on it!!

Be safe out there.....

Old 03-17-2010, 11:16 PM
fordtruckgentech
New User
Chances are they are dealing with ford hotline. Unfortunately they can be painfully slow to deal with. They don't get to see the unhappy customers that have to wait for them . So go easy on your dealer . They are most likely waiting for ford for something to try , or an authorization. Sounds like you understand though.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Jakemedic
New User
an update

Hello!
I have been quite understanding with the Dealer, and the Service Manager. You are correct, they have been in direct communications with the folks who designed the truck....Got a phone call yesterday, they believe it is the transmission modulator and were going to replace that yesterday (day 3). He continued to say that after that they had to basically re-program the transmission and we should be good to go.

It is quite easy to be pissed off about it. All kinds of people have been asking me how I like my new Ford, and all they do is rub salt in an open wound.....

The Dealer themselves called as a "follow up" to the sale and asked about my experience with my new Ford.... It is pretty hard to be positive and say positive things when over 25% of the time I have owned the truck it has been in service.

The bottom line is that Ford appears to be the best 2010 pickup out there, I drove them all and no bodys truck was without issues, what it boils down to is the committment of the Dealer and Service to keep the owner happy.... I must admit the experience that Service at the dealer has is impressive, 40+ years between Service Manager and mechanic.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that their fix is the fix...... I will advise how things go.