Sponsored by: Moser

Infamous Trans Re-Flash

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:50 PM
Armyguy1993
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infamous Trans Re-Flash

So i just picked up my 10' F-150 FX4 last week. I know all about the trans issues, particularly the 2-1 downshift THUD! I called my buddy back in MI who is the trans tech at the Lincoln dealer I used to work at and asked him about the re-flash. He said he does them all the time but the truck will eventually re learn it again..And said my best bet is to get a custom tune and do a trans tune myself. So, with that being said, Does anyone else have something similar as far as a tune or something for a trans re-flash ? Will SCT have a tune that will re-flash the trans?
Thanks!

Old 05-08-2015, 04:58 PM
Armyguy1993
New User
*UPDATE*
So i called the dealer down here where i am stationed (El Paso, TX). Casa Ford is supposed to have the best service out of the 3 Ford dealers here. Talked to this service writer, sounded like an old timer so i knew as soon as i brought up my issue he would jump all over it and assist, You know because "FORD" is all about customer care right? Immedialty he told me he has never heard anthing about this issue...I assured him that there are many TSB's about these trans issues..He told me a re-flash would cost me $150..Even with my ESP. So i told him, Lets start over..My truck has rough shifting points on upshift as well and downshifting and also some clunking..He starts laughing and says, bring it on in. Moral to the story, Dealers in the south (Especially, El Paso) suck! I have been stationed here for almost 2 years and Ford dealers just aren't the same as the North!

Old 05-09-2015, 08:57 AM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Other than the recall for the rear door lock fix, and one leaky front shock replacement, warranty work done to my truck has been limited to computer reflashes: two to improve A/C performance and the one for the harsh shifting. I have had zero issues with the shifting since the reflash BYW.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:49 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been running an SCT X3 with 5Star tune for almost 4 years on my '10. I love the way it shifts, much better than the stock strategy

Old 05-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Buck268
Elder User
Any issues besides the 2-1 thud? Have you considered greasing the driveshaft splines to rule that out?

Old 05-11-2015, 11:03 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
I had a similar issue that turned out to be a harsh downshift from 3rd to 1st. I could reproduce it by accelerating to where it shifts into third, decelerating to five mph or less then accelerating again. The tran would then downshift from 3rd to first with a thud. A change in tires made the thud more pronounced. The flash seemed to fix it but occasionally I will notice it under the circumstances I listed.

I have the 6 speed automatic with the select speed feature so you can see the gear the transmission is in displayed next to the speedometer.

The technician at Ford dealer knew immediately what it was. I think it the nature of the beast.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:24 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Armyguy1993
...My truck has rough shifting points on upshift as well and downshifting and also some clunking..He starts laughing and says, bring it on in....
How are things going at the dealer, Armyguy1993? What's the current mileage on your rig? Let me know and I'll look into ways to help smooth out your ride.

Crystal

Old 05-14-2015, 09:24 PM
Armyguy1993
New User
Originally Posted by FordService
How are things going at the dealer, Armyguy1993? What's the current mileage on your rig? Let me know and I'll look into ways to help smooth out your ride.

Crystal
Crystal,

67k on the truck now.
Called Casa Ford yesterday and talked to the service writer, He was very blunt and straight to the point (which i like). Basically he said trans work is behind about 11 days right now. And my A/C issue he could get looked at would take about 2 days. Problem is, I really cant be without a vehicle for longer then a few days. My ESP covers a rental but only after they diag. the issues and deem it under warranty ''__" He referred to the other dealer, Shamaley Ford. Called them, Service writer told me trans work is about 7 days behind there. Problem is...Both service writers are telling me the trans re-flash (if that's the issue) will not be covered under my ESP, However, I gave my VIN to my buddy who is the trans tech at the Lincoln dealer back home and he ran it on FMC and it says the Re-Flash is covered...Half of these service writers don't have a clue how to properly do their job. Hopefully i can get it dropped off in the next few weeks. Honestly, My A/C issue is irritating me way more than this trans issue. haha.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:20 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Yes, a custom tune changes transmission shift behavior. Not sure if it will address root cause of your particular issue. Custom tune can also improve AC performance by the radiator fan strategy. Again, will not address root cause of other AC issues.

Basically, you need to decide if you're getting the Ford trans re-flash or a custom tune because one overwrites the other.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:41 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Armyguy1993
...Hopefully i can get it dropped off in the next few weeks. Honestly, My A/C issue is irritating me way more than this trans issue. haha.
Thanks for responding, Armyguy1993! Now that it's getting warmer, I don't blame you at all for prioritizing the A/C. Send a heads-up PM my way the day before you go to the dealer and I'll loop in the regional customer service manager. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal