Sponsored by: Moser

bearing locknut

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:52 PM
thatsrealnice
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
bearing locknut

does anyone know offhand the torque spec for the bearing locknuts on the front for a 78 F250 4x4? I'm changing out the locking hub, and want to pack the bearings while i'm in there. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:27 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i honestly have no idea what the spec is. i just do it by feel. when i torque it down, make it snug. just enough to keep the hub from wobblin. it will have a tiny bit of play, but not more than a sixteenth of an inch. when you turn the hub, you should be able to turn it with one hand, from the lugs, but it should be snug. if you can grab it, throw it, and it just spins forever, too loose. if it spins bout a rotation and stops. youre good. hope that helps.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:41 PM
thatsrealnice
Laughing Gas
bearing locknut

thanks, that does help. another question. i have the bearing locknut socket, but i was reading that there's an adjusting nut as well. do i need a special tool for that too?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:46 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
the adjustment nut and the lock nut are the same. one holds the bearin, the other holds that one in place. and theres a washer that goes in there too. its hard to explain, simple to look at. lol.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:46 PM
thatsrealnice
Laughing Gas
lockouts

trying to change my lockouts, having some trouble getting it apart though. and i'm trying to post pictures so i can show what's going on, but i'm not able to post pictures for some reason. i have the locknut socket, and i've loosened it, but the hub assembly still won't pull off. i've removed the snap ring as well. is there a tool i'm missing?

Old 03-06-2010, 07:51 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
pics have to have a web address, like, post them on photo bucket, then go to your advanced response. there is a toolbar similar to word. there is an add picture button that you click, then copy and paste the URL in there. make sure it doesnt have the http:// twice.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:06 PM
thatsrealnice
Laughing Gas
thanks

had to set up a PB account. so anyway, i've removed the external lockout, i've removed the snap ring, and i've used the lockout socket but nothing else is happening, i pull on the rotor, and nothing happens. so here are some pictures of the tool, and of the hub assembly.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:08 PM
thatsrealnice
Laughing Gas
Old 03-06-2010, 08:26 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
ok. its hard to see. have your really wiggled the thing around?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:44 PM
thatsrealnice
Laughing Gas
yeah

even pounded on the back of the rotor with a rubber mallet, still nothing. i'll try to take some better pics tomorrow too.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:46 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
and it wont turn anymore?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:50 PM
thatsrealnice
Laughing Gas
yeah

it turns and turns and turns. how long is the shaft or whatever?

Old 03-06-2010, 09:16 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
not too long. you should be at the splines for the lockout and well out of the threads. when you take the new pictures, make sure youre camera is focused and close. push the nut back in all the way, then more with it out. try strait shots and angled shots as well.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:38 PM
thatsrealnice
Laughing Gas
will do

thanks for your help so far. i'll try to get them in better focus. do you know of any good beds in your area?

Old 03-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Nod
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hub Problem,4x4

thatsrealnice,it appears to me that you have removed the smaller snap ring that snaps on the axle itself.There is another locking ring that is at the lip of the hub on the inside,this ring has no holes for snap ring pliers so you have to pry it out carefully with a couple of small flat screwdrivers,it's kind of hard to see if it's dirty in there.Once you get the large retaining ring out then the locking mechanisim should come out,make sure you lay it out as the parts come out as there are several pieces that make up the locking assembly.Once you have all that stuff out you should see the large lock nut,take it off.There should be a locking washer with a lot of holes and a keyway,take it off.Now you will see the second spindle nut with a small pin sticking out of the face,take it off and take out the bearing.

Now the hub should come off,be careful not to ruin the grease seal when it comes off unless you are going to replace the bearing at the rear of the hub.If you don't want to remove the seal to grease the rear bearing I usually work the grease into the bearing thru the seal it just takes a while longer.After everything is checked and greased up put the hub back on carefully,put the front bearing back in,then the first spindle nut,I set the tension in the first nut like I would on any bearing,the hub should give a slight resistance when turned at the lugs.Put the washer on, it should go onto the keyway and one of the small holes in the washer needs to lock over the pin on the first spindle nut,you might have to turn the washer over and-or make a slight adjustment to the first nut to get the lockpin to align with the washer.Now put the second spindle nut on and torque it down,I do not know what that number is,mabey someone else here knows.Now clean up,inspect for worn or broken parts and reassemble the hub locking mechanisim,don't go crazy with the grease.Hope this helps.

"bowties in the rearview mirror"

Quick Reply: bearing locknut