Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a DP Tuner... some questions

Old 02-19-2010, 08:29 AM
cowboybootlegger
Senior User
cowboybootlegger has a good reputation on FTE.cowboybootlegger has a good reputation on FTE.cowboybootlegger has a good reputation on FTE.
Getting a DP Tuner... some questions

Well, i still have some leftover Christmas money, (somehow i forgot about it) so i'm gonna put it to good use and get a dp. Here's my questions for all you veterans users out there:

1) Gonna do no start on "0", stock on "1", wanted to do high idle next, but don't know what rpm to go with. Had no idea there were so many choices! My 6.0 had a factory set 1200rpm high idle, sometimes would've been nice to go higher... Any input on rpm?

2)I don't want to buy more than 3-4 tunes including high idle, thinking maybe a 80tow, then 120 or 140race? I've got gauges, (they're going in today), JW vb, 6.0 ic and TC, HPx, FRx, 6637, and PMR's
I also tow 4-6k four months out of the year. (hence the air bag writeup awhile back) Any recommendations?

3) The "drivethru tune". I spend a fair amount of time on the road, and shutting my truck off every time i wanna get some food gets old. Is this tune really quiet enough to make this unnecessary? If so, it might be worth the cost...

Any input is appreciated, and as always, you guys rock!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:50 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Hey Caleb. I would go

0). no start

1). stock

2). hi idle @ 1200 rpm

3) 60t

4). 80e

5). 120 or 140 e.

With the load you will be towing, the 60t will be enough. I don't have the drive through tune on mne. Good luck. You will love the tunes.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:03 AM
cowboybootlegger
Senior User
cowboybootlegger has a good reputation on FTE.cowboybootlegger has a good reputation on FTE.cowboybootlegger has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks Rick, yeah i was wondering about the 60t. I've heard there's not much diff between the 60 and 80? How do u like the 80e?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Robert6401
Postmaster
Robert6401 is a splendid one to beholdRobert6401 is a splendid one to beholdRobert6401 is a splendid one to beholdRobert6401 is a splendid one to beholdRobert6401 is a splendid one to beholdRobert6401 is a splendid one to behold
Well, I am newly tuned, and am using PHP, not DP, but from what I have read about DP for many years, my 80DD and 65Tow tunes perform similarly to the DP.

So far it seems as though the 65Tow tune is going to serve me better for in town driving because the shifting is smoother and more reponsive, but once you're out on the highway the 80e (or in my case 80 DD) performs better.

Just my .02

Old 02-19-2010, 09:19 AM
mueckster
Post Fiend
mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
I had the drive thru tune on a borrowed chip (Thanks again, Clay!) when I first put in my single shot injectors. It did quiet things down quite a bit. I never really used it, so I removed it when I live tuned.
I would suggest the same as Rick.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Riffraff Performance
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.
You have some great input here, only thing I would say is don't worry about 140, but that is just IMHO.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:39 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
CSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to behold
The 140 tune should not even be sold on PMR trucks... Nor the 120 IMHO...

Old 02-19-2010, 09:54 AM
redfire42
Posting Guru
redfire42 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.redfire42 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The PMR's are a reason I didn't get a tuner yet other then my superchip. Just nervous on all the windows in the blocks lately.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:01 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by cowboybootlegger View Post
Thanks Rick, yeah i was wondering about the 60t. I've heard there's not much diff between the 60 and 80? How do u like the 80e?
I drive most of the time in 80e, I pull most of the time in 60t. I use the high idle at times also. Very happy with my tunes.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:32 AM
DieselCamper01
Post Fiend
DieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud of
The drive thru tune is great. Really quiets the engine down. Thumbs up for that one. I use my 60 tow strictly for towing as I like the responsiveness of the 80E even in daily driving. I did not like how the 80E worked while towing my 7500lb TT but it may work ok for lighter loads.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:32 AM
cowboybootlegger
Senior User
Thanks everyone for the input, i'll probably stick to the safer side of tuning for now, no 140 extreme for my poor little PMR's... I'll let you know what i end up with when i post my other modding progress.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Bergerson
Elder User
Bergerson has a very good reputation on FTE.Bergerson has a very good reputation on FTE.Bergerson has a very good reputation on FTE.Bergerson has a very good reputation on FTE.
Don't bother with the drive through tune IMO, I put mine in that tune and and its still to fing loud to hear anyone in a drive through anyways....