2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken plugs on "second" change

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:08 PM
wkp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken plugs on "second" change

Just changing plugs today for the second time on my 2004 F150. First time at 30,000 and now at 64,000. Long story short, I broke two plugs. Forntunately they were the two front plugs on Passenger side. Strange thing is that I had generousely coated the plugs on the first change with nickle anti-seize. In a perfect world, they should not have seized and broke. I have a Lisle tool coming tomorrow and am replacing with Champions. Never used the Lisle tool but from everything I've read, its the best solution out there. Just wanted to let people know that they will still break after nickle anti-seizing.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:25 PM
No-Tyme
Senior User
Thanks for sharing this: I will be sure to follow the tsb the next plug change...

Old 02-11-2010, 10:46 AM
bogeyrider63
Trailering
sounds like he did follow the tsb, he used antiseize and 2 still broke. ford need's to get this figured out. like i good 1 piece plug to replace with.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Peter94
Postmaster
In my experience anti-sieze does nothing but adds time and causes trouble later. On spark plugs it turns to a really sticky goo that almost acts like a threadlocker. I actually dont use it when I change plugs, nor do I use it on brake parts either. The brake dust gets on it and again, turns it into goo. You probably would have been better off polishing the shield on the plug to make it smooth so carbon does not stick to it as much.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 AM
No-Tyme
Senior User
Originally Posted by bogeyrider63
sounds like he did follow the tsb, he used antiseize and 2 still broke. ford need's to get this figured out. like i good 1 piece plug to replace with.
Ford put out the TSB to fix the problem.

This is a good lesson for all of us: Follow the TSB on the second and third plug change. This is proof that this TSB (at my last count 3 revisions) is a shallow attempt to fix a design flaw...

Old 02-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Problem is SOLVED for good if you switch to champion plugs....and don't let anyone tell you they won't run right....i've got two trucks both running champion plugs and can't tell the difference......

Old 02-12-2010, 06:13 PM
HYPO
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
Problem is SOLVED for good if you switch to champion plugs....and don't let anyone tell you they won't run right....i've got two trucks both running champion plugs and can't tell the difference......
I'll second that vote on the Champions. I really don't understand why all the doomsayers trashing the Champions. They are one piece and double platinum and from what I can gather from other posters and my personal experience, if they are gapped and properly installed, they perform exactly like the stock plugs. At any rate, if for any reason later on I had any unreadiness about keeping them, all I would have to do would be to unscrew them and replace them with some POS poorly engineered two piece plug

Old 02-13-2010, 05:22 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
I wondered how long it would take before someone jumped on the Champion's would have fixed this band wagon.

You said you don't understand why some of us decided against Champions. I'll offer up my opinion regarding Champions. First, I purchased a set with the intent on replacing my factory plugs with the Champions. I decided not to install them after seeing very poor manufacturing quality control. In the 8 plugs I purchased there were a number of different defects.

The plug design is certainly more robust then the factory design, but they most certainly are not one peice plugs. They are laser welded together. Heck, look at this photo and see the recessed grooved portion about half way up between the threaded body and the plug extention. Some even show the color effects of welding heat.

Here's a few of the issues I found with the set I purchased.

Cracks in the base metal of the plug extension where the ground strap is welded/brazed in. Look at the photo and you'll notice a line starting at the junction between the ground strap and the plug extension that goes up at roughly a 45 degree angle to the left. This feature, which can be seen more clearly under higher magnification is a crack.

The next problem with this set of plugs is a length variation between the center electrode and the ceramic sleeve. This most certainly will effect the heat characteristics of the plug. Look carefully at the difference between the plug on the right and the one in the center

The next problem, and it's really a minor one, but worth mentioning when looking at the overall quality of this set of 8. Is a bent over ground strap. Ya, no big deal, I can just bend it back in place and all is good. Unfortunately, this plug also has that crack I mentioned a little earlier.

The last thing I noticed, but was not able to photograph. Is the variation in the ground strap platinum contact. These are small discs of platinum that are resistance welded on. On this set they were very inconsistent in size and location.

If you're happy with Champion's that's great. Heck, I would rather have this style plug to remove when the day comes for plug change number 2. But that's not the path I went with. And I only wanted to share some facts regarding my reason for not using them. Not bashing, not a doomsayer, none of that.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Ted928
Tuned
Thanks for posting the pictures. Quality does look low but still better than a plug that snaps. Did you buy the plugs from a reputible place? I am wondering if plugs that fail quality inspection may still make it out of the factory and sold on ebay.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:09 AM
No-Tyme
Senior User
SVT2205:
Very detailed post. Thank you for sharing.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:09 AM
tmuti13
Junior User
i put champions in my truck almost 30K miles ago. no problems at all with performance. but should i be concerned about them also breaking when i pull them out because they are welded? i know the stock plugs were crimped which was a horrible idea so i'd assume that these hold together much better? also, i've searched and searched and couldn't find out how long the champions are supposed to last? anyone know how many miles they can go?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:30 AM
rkedz
Freshman User
Smile

Would like to see a closeup of new motorcrap plugs......

Rather have welded then not welded...........

Old 02-13-2010, 11:51 AM
No-Tyme
Senior User
Old 02-13-2010, 12:53 PM
99F150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Just curious, what is causing all the rust on the extension? Also where are they breaking off, at the extension or the groove up higher?

Old 02-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Cpuslayer
Junior User
Has anyone tried to tac weld the motorcraft plugs to keep the two pieces together?

Quick Reply: Broken plugs on "second" change