Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which tires?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:22 PM
roblalani
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYiT
So, roblalanli, without talking specifics of tread pattern (A/T, M/T, etc), which brand of tires do you feel are good truck tires, specifically E rated heavy duty tires for the larger 3/4 and 1 ton trucks?

Other than the stated rating, what are the features that make for a good truck tire in a truck that won't see crawling or competition type offroading, but might see dirt roads, fields, highway, snow, trailering, etc?

Basically just picking your brain on what you're looking for for an application.
With out taking specifics of tread patterns, depending on how much you wanna spend on the tires. If you have money and want a good 10ply tire (E rated tire) Mich LTX by far the way to go. They give you a smooth ride and give you the ability to carry heavy loads with out really having to worry about your tires. If your looking to save a little Cooper makes a pretty good Discoverer. they have a pretty decent tread pattern and they are a pretty good tire in my opinion. I have never used these ones on my truck so I cant really say how smooth they really are but I have had no complaints about them. BFG also makes a really good tire as well.

What makes a good truck tire that may see highway and snow and some field? Man thats a hard question to answer. If your doing a little bit of everything with your truck I would stick to any m/s tire. You'll get good traction both on and off road.
Let me be honest. There are so many different tires out there these days and so much competition that in the end its really a personal preference.
I have LTX's on my truck. its a 94 f250 with a 460 and I carry a lot of weight in the back of my truck and the LTX has been a really good tire to me. Prior to that I was running BFG a/t and they were a pretty good tire as well. so really it all depends on the driver...

Old 02-09-2010, 01:30 PM
roblalani
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hutch1973
I'll say this, I value opinions much more by those who have insider knowledge and can give a more informed opinion. I like the fact that here, we were told "try this" in a tire store to show what he's talking about. What I've found on forums is always an abundance of thoughts on what to do, but most pull from personal experience or hearsay, which is generally limited or outright wrong. Learned this on another site when I posted an informational thread on how useless e-fans were and got killed because so many 'bought' the back seat dyno or advertiser claims. I bill 6 figures a year for my fan testing knowledge, and while everything I posted was 100% accurate, it wasn't worth my time to argue with those who didn't have my expertise.

So thanks roblalani for not stating flat out 'all good year tires suck' and making it appear you were a bitter Michelen/BFG dealer, as well as pointing out how to replicate your experiences for ourself. It's greatly appreciated.
Your welcome.. I'm not a hater what so ever on good year even tho it may appear that way. Over opinionated some times and I apologize.