Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Scangauge or AE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Rockrunner86
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AE hands down. While I do have a scan gauge if you have to get one or the other get AE. It is alot more useful. Reading codes on the scan gauge is somewhat complicated and if you have more that one code it often doesn't read all of them..

Old 01-27-2010, 02:02 PM
gbroehl1
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
let me see if I understand correctly. You are able to put the GPR light on the monitor also?
Sort of. I already monitor voltage so I have then set a small image (red or green) based on that voltage. A good running truck has 14+ volts so I set the red light to show from around 13 or less volts, and then green for anything over that. Everything is extremely flexible in its configuration. If I get ambitious I will go back outside and take a new pic for you in a little while.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:51 PM
gbroehl1
Logistics Pro

Ok, I got off my lazy butt and took some updated pics.

This pic is with the engine started but the glow plugs are still on and thus drawing down on the batteries to 11.5 volts or so. (red light)

Once the glow plugs turn off the full voltage of 14+ volts returns. (green light)

You will notice the TFT is highlighted on the right as its temp is below a threshold I have set to remind me to be friggin careful prior being up to temp. I have also set audio and visual alerts if certain things like EOT or boost breach a high side threshold I have set.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Very nice, Greg... That's what I do as well -- it's quite obvious when the GPs shut off.

Also, you take it easy when the EOT is below 150-170 as well, right??

Old 01-27-2010, 03:00 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

That is very nice set up Greg,

Is there much to installing ?

Old 01-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Can you run a separate boost sensor instead of reading it from the PCM? If you use a boost fooler, the boost reading would be limited to whatever the regulator is set to. Those of us getting over 25psi would need it.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:49 PM
gbroehl1
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by Izzy351
Also, you take it easy when the EOT is below 150-170 as well, right??
Yes, I have been meaning to adjust the coloring on the EOT to visually show that more accurately.

Originally Posted by maevans
That is very nice set up Greg,

Is there much to installing ?
The only work involved was setting up the gauges visually to meet my needs. It took several days of trial and error to learn how to use the skin editor, but I got it down pat now The install of the DD is super simple. Connect it to the computer so that all of the correct software and licensing can be installed via the DD website. Then connect it to the ODBII port and tell it to detect the signals. Once detected just go to the gauge display and tap a gauge to be brought to a screen where you assign a signal to the gauge and set any thresholds/audio alerting.

Originally Posted by Izzy351
Can you run a separate boost sensor instead of reading it from the PCM? If you use a boost fooler, the boost reading would be limited to whatever the regulator is set to. Those of us getting over 25psi would need it.
The EGT is already external (obviously) so I would assume an external boost could also be fitted. Since DP (and probably others) offer no codes tunes I was not worried about getting an OBA. I can deal with a momentary SES light when the boost hits 25

Old 01-27-2010, 03:56 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Greg, that looks good. Can you have more then 1 screen showing that much info and switch back and forth to different screens?

Old 01-27-2010, 04:12 PM
gbroehl1
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by miller_feed
Greg, that looks good. Can you have more then 1 screen showing that much info and switch back and forth to different screens?
So that page you see is based off of one of the default themes. There are actually 10 or so pages to the theme I currently use (I only need the one) but you can built a theme with as few as 1 or as many as 100 (I think). Each page is configured independently and can have different signals assigned. The arrows you see at the bottom of the pic scrolls between the pages. Only the signals on the active page are being polled.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:32 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Greg,

Did you purchase yours directly from the website or from a vendor? Thanks for answering all my questions BTW!

Old 01-27-2010, 05:34 PM
gbroehl1
Logistics Pro

I got mine directly through the vendor.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:43 PM
NEIowa
Freshman User
I had been seriously considering getting a scanguage just for the hpop pressure EOTs, and code reading ability but I was under the impression that the PCM had no input for trans temp or engine coolant temp when the truck is equipped with an automatic transmission.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:54 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by NEIowa
I had been seriously considering getting a scanguage just for the hpop pressure EOTs, and code reading ability but I was under the impression that the PCM had no input for trans temp or engine coolant temp when the truck is equipped with an automatic transmission.
It will read coolant temp, but not accurately. However it reads oil temp accurately, and coolant temp is usually within 10° of that. It will read trans temp if you have an external sender for temp already.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:07 PM
NEIowa
Freshman User
I see, thanks for the clarification.. That's kinda what I thought I'd read on the aeroforce website but wasn't sure on the trans temp.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:39 AM
BobBarry
Senior User
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
It will read coolant temp, but not accurately. However it reads oil temp accurately, and coolant temp is usually within 10° of that. It will read trans temp if you have an external sender for temp already.
The Scangauge in my '00 Ex reads tranny-temp from the factory sensor.

Quick Reply: Scangauge or AE?