1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Front Straight Axle Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That could be. But if you want to look at it that way then the shims installed on the top are subject to tearing a wear because they are caught between to turning friction surfaces without the bearing to buffer the shear on them.

The installation diagram that came with the king pins directed that they be put where they are in the photo, which is a "before" photo btw.

I had the correct position conformed with the Suspension and Spring Shop who replaced my springs right after the new pins were installed, with the shims in this position, and he confirmed that that was correct. He was the one who asked me about installing the bearings flat side up. I got lucky and did that right despite no instructions on those.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:49 PM
JBravo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just tore down the front suspension on my '56... getting ready to replace springs and axle... Anyway... King Pins pushed right out and I'm planning on reusing pins and bushings as they were very tight before disassembly. As far as shims I had one on top below the dust seal and one above the bearing on the lower end of the king pin both sides... I believe the shop manual shows the same in diagram but not sure as it is out in the shop...

JB

Old 01-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
If you shop manual shows the shim placment can you post the drawing for us? Mine doesn't show the shims and neither does the Chassis Parts Catalogue drawing.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:43 AM
JBravo
Senior User
I'll step out there on the way to work and make sure I'm not talking out my behind...

JB

Old 01-06-2010, 06:59 AM
JBravo
Senior User
Well... upon further review... there isn't a diagram for half ton trucks and the diagram that closely resembles my setup on my F-100 is labeled as "500 thru 600 series" which doesn't designate any shims in the stack...

JB

Old 01-06-2010, 07:39 AM
52 F3
Elder User
This is for a larger truck and later model but was what I came across first.
I hope it is readable. Scanning is sometimes a struggle.
I don't suppose it is critical where the shims are. Not really critical that they be there. They just take up some of the extra clearance if it is there. Sometimes they are not needed. They should not be installed to make a tight fit. If placed on top of the axle they will not be subject to wear as there should be a few thou. clearance.
As for the bearing. Without looking at a particular bearing I'm not sure what the flat side would be. Are they all made with the same physical features. The bearing should be installed so water does not run into it from the top. That may well be with the flat side up.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
EXCELLENT!

Thank you!

Ps Edit note: I read through the installation procedure as well. It appears as though they addressed which surface of th ebearing to install up (flat side) and down (open seal side). It looks like th elater manuals are a little better written than our earlier ones!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:42 AM
JBravo
Senior User
I'm getting a big pile of parts tomorrow so the front end should be done this weekend with any luck and a few bottles of propane for some heat! I went with a 3" drop axle from Sid and down and forward springs from MidFifty. Also planning on doing a disc brake upgrade so the total cost closely matches what one would pay for an IFS setup...

Bravo

Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 AM
HD74
Elder User
Originally Posted by JBravo
I'm getting a big pile of parts tomorrow so the front end should be done this weekend with any luck and a few bottles of propane for some heat! I went with a 3" drop axle from Sid and down and forward springs from MidFifty. Also planning on doing a disc brake upgrade so the total cost closely matches what one would pay for an IFS setup...

Bravo
I to am going with a axle from Sid. Bravo, mind taking some pictures of the axle you got and some progress pic's too. Thanks

Old 01-07-2010, 09:33 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
If you are using the down-n-forward springs you have to extend your drag link tube or get one extended and tie-rode extenders for the drop axle. I have some pics of the axle from MF in my gallery however, I took it out and put in a stretched original one. I was a very easy install..

I guess I took all the pics out except this one...

Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 AM
JBravo
Senior User
Actually the extended drag link compensates for the axle moving forward the extended tie rod ends compensate for the spindles moving up from the dropped axle...

HD... looks like everything is on schedule so I should have some pics up this weekend...

Bravo

Old 01-08-2010, 12:54 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you used a 3" or less dropped axle, check the tie rod clearance, you may not need the tie rod extenders. I would suggest installing the HD tie rod from Mid Fifty while everything is apart, the stock one was rather flimsy and frequently bent or bowed.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:03 AM
JBravo
Senior User
My down and forward springs showed up yesterday... they look like good units... painted them at work and they're ready to be installed but I'm still fighting with the front shackle hanger bushings...

Waiting on the bushing removal tool from MF...

Bravo

Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 AM
JBravo
Senior User
Forgot to add... my drop axle from Sid showed up last Friday... very nice piece as well...

Bravo

Old 01-13-2010, 07:51 AM
HD74
Elder User
Originally Posted by JBravo
Forgot to add... my drop axle from Sid showed up last Friday... very nice piece as well...

Bravo
Post some pictures.

Quick Reply: Front Straight Axle Replacement?