6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 now? Is this a joke?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:56 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by LostMedic
That like it or not, due to EPA, oil consumption in the world, diminishing resources, gas prices, ecology, and everything else that is happening in the world, the US car builders might have to resort one day in building smaller engines ??? Why is more and more european products ending up in the USA and not the opposite ? Where is the time (oh, just about 10 or 15 years ago) that if you wanted to consider a reliable, easy to maintain, not over-powerful truck, a Ford truck was a better option than an European one.

Don't get me wrong, Mercedes, though it has come up with a pretty good platform, it is nowhere as rugged as a Ford. I just wish Ford had come up with a more sensible solution than a monstruous 6.7L
What is your point? I am not sure I understand what you are getting at.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:37 PM
blue66tang95f150
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
School bus != pickup truck
Class 8 tractor != pickup truck

That is comparing watermelons to apples. Each vehicle serves different purposes and has different equipment.

What has actually happened is that auto manufacturers have catered to the wants/needs of their customers and produced vehicles with equipment that the consumers want. Quite honestly, it sounds like there is a little bit of jealousy speaking here...
That's exactly our point! Why do heavier duty rigs such as medium duty trucks have near the same or, many times, less power than a pickup truck, weighing half or less what they do, and hauls/pulls half as much. The auto manufactures have catered to the WANTS of the consumers, not the NEEDS. You are exactly right each vehicle serves a different purpose and do have different equipment. The trucks that work haul the least and pull the least have the most power, comparatively.
You could have been right on the jealously thing, except for the fact I own a 09 dodge 5500 and several other trucks from 8800 gvwr all the way up past 50k+ gvwr. I also have to say my "weak power stroke" in 95 F250 does everything I want it too. Including pulling over 20k lbs. May just not be as fast as the new trucks, but still gets the job done. So do I need more power?

Old 02-17-2010, 08:41 PM
blue66tang95f150
More Turbo
So more powerful means you have to tow at a faster speed?
Your making my point. So do we need more power?

I like power too. Heck I have a 66 mustang with a hot little stroker motor in it... but I don't need it.
I just get annoyed when everybody puts so much emphasis on power instead of other things. Why don't consumers demand something like reliability. I am willing to bet the manufacturers can make a engine/truck go a million miles... but they don't. That's not what the consumer wants. So why focus their energy on bringing the costs of making a truck go a million miles down, when they have a much easier time convincing the consumer they NEED more power. Its all just a "look at me and my powerful truck" mentality. "Look at me I am passing that chevy going up this hill, pulling my trailer" yippy

Old 02-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blue66tang95f150
Your making my point. So do we need more power?

I like power too. Heck I have a 66 mustang with a hot little stroker motor in it... but I don't need it.
I just get annoyed when everybody puts so much emphasis on power instead of other things. Why don't consumers demand something like reliability. I am willing to bet the manufacturers can make a engine/truck go a million miles... but they don't. That's not what the consumer wants. So why focus their energy on bringing the costs of making a truck go a million miles down, when they have a much easier time convincing the consumer they NEED more power. Its all just a "look at me and my powerful truck" mentality. "Look at me I am passing that chevy going up this hill, pulling my trailer" yippy
Many cars/engines today could easily make a million miles. People routinely tear down engines gassers and diesels at 200,000-300,000 miles only to find that the cross hatching are still on the cylinder bores. There is a 5.4 modular running around with over a million miles on it. The industry is just advancing very quickly now in terms of efficiency, power, comfort and styling that nobody really bothers to keep anything for a long time.

Auto makers don't convince customers they need more power, people convince themselves they need more power and automakers respond by offering high power levels, higher towing and payload capabilities, etc..Automakers would love it if they could get away with having a 200HP Diesel Truck in todays market. Better fuel economy, less stress on the drive train ( and therefore less warranty work) and easier to meet emissions standards. That is not what most people want though, they want power. During the height of the muscle car era did people NEED that 426 Hemi 'Cuda or that Boss 429 Mustang? No. Did they want them? Yes.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:09 AM
DEBuckingBulls
New User
They could probably build and sell a less powerfull engine, that is more reliable if they would offer an 8 year 200,000 mile warrnaty or better. I'm just glad the 2011's are going to have the torque 400 RPMs lower at 1600. I would be fine with a motor that only has 500lbs of torque if it was at 1200 RPMS.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:52 AM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Head
I do think you're correct though when it comes to the US Diesel selection. None of the US automakers have ever really tried to develop their own small V6 or V8 diesel. We mainly just have the bigger ones used in the trucks.
Not true: All 3 Detroit automakers had active and advanced programs to develop advanced, small V8 Diesels. All 3 of the programs were shelved (actually Ford's 4.4 is tooled in Mexico for export/non US applications) because market research says the US consumer won't buy the things at a price that will be profitable.

Ford and GM do make small Diesels in Europe, and could make these available in NA now that the Eurea infrastructure is here.

Would you pay a $5000 premium in an F150 to get a 25% mpg improvement (4mpg)? Probably not when gas is only $2.61/gal. It especially hurts when Diesel is 25% more expensive than gasoline....no business case.

Alan

Old 02-18-2010, 09:08 AM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
School bus != pickup truck
Class 8 tractor != pickup truck

That is comparing watermelons to apples. Each vehicle serves different purposes and has different equipment.

What has actually happened is that auto manufacturers have catered to the wants/needs of their customers and produced vehicles with equipment that the consumers want. Quite honestly, it sounds like there is a little bit of jealousy speaking here...

I have no problem with someone WANTING a high powered pickup. I myself have has my share of Boss 302 Mustangs, Roadrunners and other miscelaneous hot rods. I have them because I want them, not because I need them. I just think it is silly to attempt to justify this "want" of high power by confusing it with a "need". A High powered pickup is not to be confused as a safer pickup. That's a real stretch!

A truck is there to do a job (I have several myself). It should be spec'd to do that job, certainly, and if you want "more", go for it. Just don't try to justify it as a "need." The same discussion takes place on the plowsite where you have a group that insists you need 360 bhp to plow snow!
Admit it. It's a status symbol, not a need.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 AM
tooNz213
Freshman User
haha funny