6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

how are the new 6.7 liters

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:40 AM
98woody
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
how are the new 6.7 liters

Tossing the idea of a new truck now my bedplate is leaking on my 2007 with 28000 miles. Are these 6.7 liters any good? I hate to say it but Im seriously thinking of going GMC/CHEVY. Ive had 3 new Fords in 10 years and 2 of 3 had serious problems.....Ford doesnt give 2 craps about it either. I was wondering if these new engines had any issues..... Can the exhaust be removed and replaced with a straight 4" no cat? I love the sound of my truck and thats one thing id really miss.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,138 Likes on 2,235 Posts
I came from the GM side and I can tell you there are serious issues over on that side of the fence. Are the 6.7 liter engines any good? Read here...they are very good. So good, it brought me over from a Duramax. If you have had issues with 2/3 previous trucks, perhaps the modifications you are doing are contributing factors. There are some nice cat back exhaust choices that sound great. You are on your own if you do a straight pipe and other mods.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 AM
98woody
Tuned
My f150 was stock, ford had head gasket issues in 98, my 07 6 liter just has a volant cold air intake an a turbo back exhaust with no cat which actually helps.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:29 AM
los341
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 98woody
Are these 6.7 liters any good?
You post a question like this on a Ford Trucks Enthusaists site to a group of people who have spent upwards of $60k on their trucks to ask them if they are any good at all? The way your question is worded has probably excluded responses from most of the serious forum users here. Plus, it makes you come across as a troll.

Hint: read the forums before asking a question like this. Take a good look at all the pictures of these trucks hauling big trailers. Read the stories about folks hauling their loads cross-country. Also read the stories about problems we've had and make your own judgement on if these trucks are "any good".

Carl

Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by los341
You post a question like this on a Ford Trucks Enthusaists site to a group of people who have spent upwards of $60k on their trucks to ask them if they are any good at all? The way your question is worded has probably excluded responses from most of the serious forum users here. Plus, it makes you come across as a troll.

Hint: read the forums before asking a question like this. Take a good look at all the pictures of these trucks hauling big trailers. Read the stories about folks hauling their loads cross-country. Also read the stories about problems we've had and make your own judgement on if these trucks are "any good".

Carl

Nicely put, Carl.

We live in an annonymous world with expectations of immediate gratification. Nobody wants to do their own research anymore. Tell me what to do. Then I can blame someone else if the results aren't what I thought.

Woody, welcome to FTE. To answer your question, Yes. These 6.7's are good. Are they perfect? No. Will you have a problem? Maybe. Have you had issues with other vehicles? Sounds like. Have you test driven one? Have you talked to someone that owns one? Have you read any of the posts on these 182 pages? Or any other forum? Bottom line, anybody here will help you with your questions or issues. Just maybe change your presentation. Happy trails.

OOH, I better go, I'm late for my therapy session. Bye Bye.

Last edited by marchare011; 04-10-2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: forgetful
Old 04-10-2012, 09:24 AM
98woody
Tuned
I was judt looking for a cut and dry honest opinion. The 6 liter is junk, and judhing by the attitudes here the 6.7 isnt any better.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
You had your mind made up before you made the post with comments like that...

Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 AM
roadtech
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well folks
I know the 6 liter had problems but I owned a 2007 Out law, put 320000 km on it and changed out 3 egr valves. I treated it nice, no after market parts and it took me to work every day for three years. Just saying.
My new 6.7 has 163000 km on it and it is a treat to own and operate

Don

Old 04-10-2012, 09:39 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
You had your mind made up before you made the post with comments like that...
That was my thought right off the bat.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:43 AM
_red rocket_
Senior User
The 6 liter is junk...
Some will disagree with you but you will probably find that to be the majority opinion.

...the 6.7 isnt any better.
I think the majority here will disagree with you.

I was judt looking for a cut and dry honest opinion.
What you desire is facts, not heresay.

Search for HPFP. However, keep in mind that the current Duramax uses virtually the same high pressure fuel pump. You tell us what you specifically find about the HPFP.

The other posters were not being rude when they asked for you to do some reading/research, they were being honest about how you can find the information you were looking for without "too much" personal opinion thrown in. But, more importantly, you must decide for yourself based upon the information already out there. It is a little more complex than a cut and dry good or not response.

How do I feel about my 6.7L? I think it is a great truck and I have no plans to get rid of it.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I loved both my 6 liters and my 7.3 and all gave me great use...
now I hope this 6.7 does the same...

SO FAR - it's the best of the bunch and I have great expectations !

Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 AM
98woody
Tuned
Just feel like I was burned 2x on a ford my 07 has been babied, the heavist load I haul is 2 snowmobiles. Its more of a daily driver, oil changes every 5000 miles, I have always used valvoline premium blue synthetic 5w 40, always used power service with some 2 cycle. I couldnt have been easier on a truck.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I believe the 6.0 is junk too. Any engine that requires any modification to be reliable is junk in my eye. It should come from the factory perfectly reliable.

That being said OP, the 6.7 is a different manufacturer (Ford vs Navistar) and the quality really shows. You cannot judge a Ford diesel truck based upon a Navistar offering. The new 6.7 is a very reliable engine that sits in a pretty good truck. (I think the Dodge Interior is better).

If you want to trade up, you can't go wrong with the new Powerstroke. Instead of asking a bunch of biased people like us, give the Duramax a drive, the Cummins a drive, and the new Ford. Decide for yourself.

That being said, the new Ford is very reliable.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I was judt looking for a cut and dry honest opinion. The 6 liter is junk, and judhing by the attitudes here the 6.7 isnt any better.
Unsure how you came to that conclusion.
My 6.7L engine has been issue free thus far in its 30,000 mile life.
We'll see what 100,000 brings.

Outside of the engine, I have had three transmission solenoids replaced and the front differential resealed.
A few other things fixed that aren't worth mentioning.
My truck has been in the shop more than the '98 Explorer but I did pre-order a truck that didn't exist to the public at the time so there were bound to be a few querks to work out.
I'm still keeping it. It's a great tow vehicle and a blast as a daily driver.

If you've already made your mind up to go get a GMC, go try one.
I think you'll eventually return to Ford.
Techs and tow truck operators have said they haven't seen many 6.7Ls broken down.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:09 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,138 Likes on 2,235 Posts

Quick Reply: how are the new 6.7 liters