6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

TRANNY GREMLIN!!!!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Zmann
If ford wasn't being flaky with the mercon licensing it would be on the shelves at every auto store by every oil manufacturer .. this IMHO crosses the line that if a manufacturer makes you use their product or voids a warranty then the product needs to be supplied for free I have full confidence in the Valvoline ,, And I have read all the debates ,, I do use all ford oem engine , filters oil because off warranty but My tranny is covered by aftermarket warranties and is well taken care of by me
How is Ford being flaky with MERCON licensing? They discontinued MERCON and changed MERCON V to be compatible with older transmissions that used MERCON.

It is illegal for a manufacturer to require you to use their products to maintain the warranty UNLESS they give you that product. Ford does not give you the fluids that are required, and they do NOT make you use their products to maintain the warranty. You MUST use fluids with the proper ratings, but you do not have to use Ford's brand of fluids.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:24 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My tranny is covered by aftermarket warranties

WOW, who covers your tranny besides Ford?? Hope it's not AAmco!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
How is Ford being flaky with MERCON licensing? They discontinued MERCON and changed MERCON V to be compatible with older transmissions that used MERCON.

It is illegal for a manufacturer to require you to use their products to maintain the warranty UNLESS they give you that product. Ford does not give you the fluids that are required, and they do NOT make you use their products to maintain the warranty. You MUST use fluids with the proper ratings, but you do not have to use Ford's brand of fluids.
they won't approve others fluids and make the Mercon licensing an expensive joke ,, atleast that is what my extensive research has led me to understand ,, makes sense because of the lack of SP rated fluids

ps if you make a tranny that needs (SP) = shutter proof fluid you already screwed up in my book and stepped back to fix it with whacky fluid

Old 12-15-2009, 10:30 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
they won't approve others fluids and make the Mercon licensing an expensive joke ,, atleast that is what my extensive research has led me to understand ,, makes sense because of the lack of SP rated fluids

ps if you make a tranny that needs (SP) = shutter proof fluid you already screwed up in my book and stepped back to fix it with whacky fluid
No offense, I think you should sue Ford. If your as correct as you say you are you will be a millionare by this time next year.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
My tranny is covered by aftermarket warranties

WOW, who covers your tranny besides Ford?? Hope it's not AAmco!
Ford doesn't cover anyones past 3 / 36k unless you bought extended and forget that if you have a lift or even bigger tires

that wasn't really a question was it ? I have a Guardian warranty and it is acknowledged that the lift is in place ,, so far they have been great ,, ford would have DENIED any power train warranty save for the motor
ps AAmco lol

Old 12-16-2009, 03:41 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Getting a MERCON license is not cheap. There is a lot of expensive testing that goes into certifying that a fluid is qualified.

I thought nobody else made a MERCON SP because it won't make a profit. There is only one transmission in the world that uses it, so why would a company spend the money to develop a fluid and license it with such a small potential market?

they won't approve others fluids and make the ps if you make a tranny that needs (SP) = shutter proof fluid you already screwed up in my book and stepped back to fix it with whacky fluid
So that's why we called it MERCON SP? I did not know that. The transmission was designed from the start to use that fluid. This trans had a shudder (not shutter, shutters cover windows) problem? Another thing I didn't know as part of the original development team. Did I see you at Ford when we were developing this trans?