6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

TRANNY GREMLIN!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:42 AM
cycomagic
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRANNY GREMLIN!!!!

I am a new owner of a 2004 f350 dually that has a intermittant issue. I have had this truck for 2 weeks and in that time I had what felt like the tail gate dropping on take off! This has only happened like 2-3 times in 2 weeks. When I come to a complete stop and sit for a short while like at a light then let off the brake and accelerate it somtimes feels like the tranny shudders momentarily then engages. I took it to the dealer yesterday and had them do a service on it and they put in the new oil and 2 filters and said all looked ok. Now this surge is much more prevalent. I took it back and had the tech do a test drive and it only happened once. Any ideas and help would be much appreciated.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:52 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You might try dropping the drive shaft and greasing the yoke splines on the slip joint. They have been known to cause a clunk on initial movement. Also, did the dealer use Mercon SP fluid? That is very important.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I am betting on splines and yes sp is inportant there is only one alternative to Fords sp and it was just approved

I am shocked they did the tranny pan filter as it is just a screen

Old 12-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
this states clunk when putting in gear but it will also happen at a stop

https://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.ph...Fslipjoint.htm

Old 12-15-2009, 09:07 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Zmann
I am betting on splines and yes sp is inportant there is only one alternative to Fords sp and it was just approved

I am shocked they did the tranny pan filter as it is just a screen
Agreed unless they pulled the pan to look for shavings and did it just because they were there. Hope they did it for free since you just bought the truck?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:28 AM
cycomagic
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does not clunk when you put in gear only sometimes on acceleration from dead stop. Tranny shifts perfectly everywhere else and does not slip. I tried to simulate problem in 3rd and tow/haul mode with no success yet. I will check the drive shaft. Thanks

Old 12-15-2009, 09:53 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Originally Posted by cycomagic
It does not clunk when you put in gear only sometimes on acceleration from dead stop. Tranny shifts perfectly everywhere else and does not slip. I tried to simulate problem in 3rd and tow/haul mode with no success yet. I will check the drive shaft. Thanks
That is what I was referring to.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cycomagic
we are on the same page

Old 12-15-2009, 02:10 PM
JReinert
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is the alternative sp fluid, if I may ask?

Old 12-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
it was just approved and most shelf bottles don't reflect it however I called Valvoline and they assured me it is a go! plus the website does say OK that and they flat out stated Ford dealers have been using this in bulk because it will service so many cars in their used car line
'
'
'

Valvoline.com > Products > MaxLife > Automatic Transmission Fluid MaxLife > MaxLife® DEX/MERC ATF
'
'
'
'

Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 295 and 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:33 PM
69cj
Hotshot
MC has a new fluid backward compatible called "LT, LF or LV" I think. I would not go the Valvoline route myself till you see something from Ford accepting it. These trannies are just to expensive to play russian roulette with.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
I was told they stopped making motorcraft sp but dealers have some and rip you off for it $$$ I have heard of more than 1 dealer not flushing with MC SP fluid

I have had it in for about 3k I was fine using it after all my phone calls ETC

Old 12-15-2009, 04:48 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Zmann
I was told they stopped making motorcraft sp but dealers have some and rip you off for it $$$ I have heard of more than 1 dealer not flushing with MC SP fluid

I have had it in for about 3k I was fine using it after all my phone calls ETC
Your truck, your choice!

Old 12-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
If ford wasn't being flaky with the mercon licensing it would be on the shelves at every auto store by every oil manufacturer .. this IMHO crosses the line that if a manufacturer makes you use their product or voids a warranty then the product needs to be supplied for free I have full confidence in the Valvoline ,, And I have read all the debates ,, I do use all ford oem engine , filters oil because off warranty but My tranny is covered by aftermarket warranties and is well taken care of by me
THOMAS R. SMITH
Technical Director, Valvoline Brand
February 10, 2009
To Whom It May Concern:
MaxLife ATF is a full synthetic automatic transmission fluid designed to meet the needs of the broadest range of
transmission designs. MaxLife ATF recommendations are based on a combination of formal OEM approvals,
field testing and laboratory testing.
Valvoline MaxLife ATF carries the following formal OEM approvals:
Voith H55.6335.33 (G607)

Allison C-4

Volvo STD 1273.41 (Pending)

Use of MaxLife ATF in transmissions calling for the above specifications is fully supported by the by both
Valvoline and the respective transmission/vehicle manufacturer.

Valvoline recommends MaxLife ATF in a broad range of transmissions beyond those for which we have formal OEM approval. The list below is just a sample of applications where Valvoline supports the use of MaxLife ATF. Valvoline has conducted in-house testing, independent lab testing and field-testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in these transmissions; however, it is important to note that the respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved MaxLife ATF in these applications.
Allison TES 389

Allison TES 295 (extended drain with appropriate used oil sampling)

Audi G-052-025-A2, G-052-162-A1

BMW LT71141 or LA2634 fluids

Ford MERCON®
Ford FNR5

Ford MERCON® V

Ford MERCON® SP

MERCON® LV

GM 9986195

GM DEXRON® II, III and VI

Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 (except in CVTs)

Hyundai

JWS 3309

KIA SP-II and SP-III Fluids

KIA Red 1

MAN 399 Type F

Mazda M-V

Mercedes Benz Sheet 236.x (except 236.12 and 236.20)

Mercedes Benz NAG-1

MOPAR AS68RC ATF

Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II or SP-III

Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K, and Matic-S

Subaru ATF

Subaru ATF-HP

Toyota / Lexus Type T, T-III or T-IV

Toyota WS

Voith H55.6336.33 (G1363)

Volvo 1161521 and 1161540

VW TL52162

ZF TE-ML-14B, 16L and 17C

ATF 3403 M115
Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MaxLife ATF. Use of MaxLife ATF in transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. Vehicle manufacturers are restricted by federal law from including the requirement of the use of a specific brand or trade name of product or service as a condition of their warranty. The following is an extract from the Federal Trade Commission’s web site on interpretation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:
"Tie-In Sales" Provisions Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions. In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in
effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.\

Valvoline has conducted extensive testing and has a long history of successful use of MaxLife ATF in a broad range of applications.
In the unlikely event that you or your customer experiences any transmission damage while using MaxLife ATF in a Valvoline recommended application, please contact Valvoline at 1-800-Team-VAL for assistance.

While MaxLife ATF is designed to meet the special needs of higher mileage transmissions, new transmissions can also benefit from its enhanced oxidation protection, shear stability, seal compatibility, wear protection and antishudder protection. Many consumers have chosen to take advantage of this level of performance in newer transmissions.

Valvoline currently does not recommend MaxLife ATF where certain specific low viscosity ATFs are called for.These include Mercedes Benz NAG-2, ZF Lifeguard 6 and 6 Plus, and AUDI G055-162-A6 and G055-005-A2 applications. Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife ATF for use in most continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) unless specifically noted nor in automatic transmissions where Ford Type F fluids are recommended.

Sincerely,

QuickTime™ and a
TIFF (Uncompressed) decompressor
are needed to see this picture.
Thom Smith
Technical Director, Valvoline Brand
Ashland Consumer Markets

<!-- / message -->

Old 12-15-2009, 07:43 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
ford doesnt make you use anything but if it fails and it was not as good as or better then the oem then you own it.

Quick Reply: TRANNY GREMLIN!!!!