Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Ok, got a crazy idea for my 7.3 IDI....Doing a motor swap into a 95 F350

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:55 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hear the 7.3 series powerstrokes are a decent engine but IDIs are just as reliable and have lower cost parts so they are easier to maintain in the long run. In practice, the electronics on the powerstroke are not impossible to deal with, but they can leave you stranded on the side of the road. Mechanical diesels don't have computers or sensors to go goofy.

I drove a 95 powerstroke with 5 speed once and had mixed feelings until I found the go pedal. It idled like it was about to fall apart but apparently thats how they normally sound. I'm used to the more polite, smooth idle of an IDI (ford or GM for that matter).

Up to 1000 RPM feels like crap, then right around 1500 all hell breaks loose and the turbo spools. I'll admit I was impressed and that truck could have probably outran mine at least until it ran out of RPM. It did have an upgraded downpipe so I suspect it was putting out more than the stock Hp.

The engine bay was also fairly clear. I know we like to rip on them because you have to remove the valve covers to get ot the injectors or glow plugs, but the covers are right in the open and easy to get to. The wiring integrated valve cover gasket is reusable, so as long as you don't abuse it, thats not an issue either.

One thing I don't like about the powerstroke is there is a large amount of oil in the upper end of the engine that doesn't get drained out from the injectors, HPOP, and related plumbing. There is a method to drain it out, but it gets messy and is much more trouble than a run of the mill oil change. I guess thats good news for us because it means powerstroke filters have to be that much better.

Throttle is also too sensitive for my taste. Makes it harder to get good fuel economy in normal driving.

The hydraulic injection system was a ballsy move I'll admit and while it does work, common rail is much better and should have been used from day one if ford insisted on moving away from the stanadyne DP2 injection system. I don't buy the argument that it was because of emissions because GM kept their 6.5 IDI and it did just fine under the same rules.

1 powerstroke injector = 8 IDI injectors in terms of cost.

8 powerstroke injectors = 8 IDI injectors, new custom hot pump, and plenty of cash left over to plan some other upgrade (or just save it).

8 powerstroke injectors AND HPOP = you get the idea.

I don't care how reliable the hydro injection is or if they really do last the life of the engine as many claim. That is not an investment that will pay off even if the IDI injection system really did wear out 8x faster. And we know it doesn't.

If raw horsepower is all you are after, then sure get a powerstroke and have at'er with a chip. My truck needs to pay for itself everyday and I know a computer controlled engine will never do that.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:03 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,150 Likes on 2,198 Posts
i have both. an idi and a stroker.

the idi will outwork the stroker any day of the week. .the stroker is my daily driver. but if i need a "road dozer" the 88 comes out of hibernation to get the job done.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:40 AM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by David85
I hear the 7.3 series powerstrokes are a decent engine but IDIs are just as reliable and have lower cost parts so they are easier to maintain in the long run. In practice, the electronics on the powerstroke are not impossible to deal with, but they can leave you stranded on the side of the road. Mechanical diesels don't have computers or sensors to go goofy.

I drove a 95 powerstroke with 5 speed once and had mixed feelings until I found the go pedal. It idled like it was about to fall apart but apparently thats how they normally sound. I'm used to the more polite, smooth idle of an IDI (ford or GM for that matter).

Up to 1000 RPM feels like crap, then right around 1500 all hell breaks loose and the turbo spools. I'll admit I was impressed and that truck could have probably outran mine at least until it ran out of RPM. It did have an upgraded downpipe so I suspect it was putting out more than the stock Hp.

The engine bay was also fairly clear. I know we like to rip on them because you have to remove the valve covers to get ot the injectors or glow plugs, but the covers are right in the open and easy to get to. The wiring integrated valve cover gasket is reusable, so as long as you don't abuse it, thats not an issue either.

One thing I don't like about the powerstroke is there is a large amount of oil in the upper end of the engine that doesn't get drained out from the injectors, HPOP, and related plumbing. There is a method to drain it out, but it gets messy and is much more trouble than a run of the mill oil change. I guess thats good news for us because it means powerstroke filters have to be that much better.

Throttle is also too sensitive for my taste. Makes it harder to get good fuel economy in normal driving.

The hydraulic injection system was a ballsy move I'll admit and while it does work, common rail is much better and should have been used from day one if ford insisted on moving away from the stanadyne DP2 injection system. I don't buy the argument that it was because of emissions because GM kept their 6.5 IDI and it did just fine under the same rules.

1 powerstroke injector = 8 IDI injectors in terms of cost.

8 powerstroke injectors = 8 IDI injectors, new custom hot pump, and plenty of cash left over to plan some other upgrade (or just save it).

8 powerstroke injectors AND HPOP = you get the idea.

I don't care how reliable the hydro injection is or if they really do last the life of the engine as many claim. That is not an investment that will pay off even if the IDI injection system really did wear out 8x faster. And we know it doesn't.

If raw horsepower is all you are after, then sure get a powerstroke and have at'er with a chip. My truck needs to pay for itself everyday and I know a computer controlled engine will never do that.
Wow David, very well said and all so very true!! I did drive myself a 2001 PowerStroke and wow they got ***** compared to my IDI's but, looking under the hood, and understanding how everything works under there, and cost of parts.... sure makes me love my old gutless IDI's way more

Old 10-31-2009, 11:59 AM
GenLightening
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One issue you may have (check with the TX DMV) is putting an older engine into a newer vehicle. They usually require the engine to conform to the newer emissions regs. Not sure how different the '95 would be from the '88 though. And you might be able to say it's out a '94 (wink, wink).