General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Remember Today

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:54 AM
fbodyfan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember Today

As I have done every year since joining FTE, I am creating a thread remembering and honoring the fallen on the 8 year anniversary of 9.11. As I sit here writing to you, I ponder what's happened over the last 8 years. First, I can't believe it's been that long (no other memory that old is as vivid to me). Where were we, and where have we come? Remind yourself of where you were, what you were doing, and how you felt. I've never been one to dwell on anything, but this is our collective burden to bear. Go out of your way to make someone's day brighter today. It's a hurt we all share, but what we learn from it, and how Americans support other Americans makes this the best damn country on the planet, and I'm proud to say I live here. Come share your thoughts. In closing, I leave you with this.

This is America

God bless you all

Old 09-11-2009, 07:02 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Outstanding thread and post! You are correct about the vivid memory of the events that day. I can remember exactly where I was on that day. It's strange how events like that find a permanent place in your memory and never leave.

God Bless our great nation and those men and women that serve to protect our freedom. Likewise, God bless those people that were lost that day and their families. I am eternally grateful that I have never had to experience that kind of tragedy in my life.

Thanks for starting the thread and posting what you did.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:06 AM
BIGKEN
Received 7,064 Likes on 4,164 Posts
Very well put. We must never forget what happened that day...nor...what has happened since!!!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:08 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a flash video that I've mirrored since the towers fell.
http://user.mc.net/~jakem/911.htm

Old 09-11-2009, 07:14 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 221 Likes on 180 Posts
God bless America, and all who fell that day.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:01 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
GOD Bless America

Good Morning All.....

I still have that gut wrenching feeling when remembering that day, going to the hospitals and having the overwhelming groups of people donating blood and trying to do anything to help.

Standing on the shore of the Hudson River in Jersey City and watching the smoke rise from the rumble of what was once the financial center of our great nation brought to there knees for a moment and raise up as a nation, united, with flags waving from every corner, every bridge over pass, and every car on the road.

We must never forget the brave men and women of our nation who gave it there all, and the countless others who have lost there lives to preserve our liberty, and freedom in the past, present, and the future.

THANK YOU

Old 09-11-2009, 08:05 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 221 Likes on 180 Posts
I still remember the first indication of something terribly wrong that morning. We were outside here at the plant, and airliner after airliner began flying over. Overflight of the plant is strictly forbidden, so we knew something was up. We heard the terrible news moments after coming back into the plant.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:17 AM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
Thanks for that video. Never forget!!

Old 09-11-2009, 10:52 AM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Yes...it's amazing what the mind remembers when something "tragic" happens, like the event on 9/11. I was at work, welding, when I was told. I had just lost my wife 10 days before to cancer so you can imagine what I was feeling inside!

My flag is out at half-mast!

Old 09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Symbolism, I know, but they still have a powerful message.

God Gless The USA.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:18 PM
12engine
Postmaster
because of 16 terrorist cowards, 8 years ago today, 343 FDNY/FDNY EMS, 23 NYPD, and 37 PAPD HEROS paid the ultimate price because they put the lives of complete strangers ahead of their own. and lets not forget the civilians who died because their own safety took a backseat to saving their coworkers lives and the lives of those on their planes. kinda shows the American spirit, huh? "Can you lay your life down, so a stranger can live?"

no wonder kids wanna grow up to be fireman and policeman. it shows the kind of person who these very underpaid and overworked (and sometimes unappreciated) people are. makes me proud to be a second generation firefighter.

where were you when you got the news? I remember I was in 8th grade english class when our teacher told us the news. the school wouldnt let us watch the TV (like they sometimes did). when I got home, I just watched the news in awe. I remember the rest of the day I was in a state of shock, along with the rest of the nation.

never forget those who lost their lives saving complete strangers, and NEVER forgive those who carried out those cowardly acts.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:56 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As I sit at my desk, typing this, I am full of emotion.

Anger. Sadness. Grief (for those that lost their lives). Patriotism.

I remember 9/11/2001 as if it were yesterday.
I was at home, convalescing from neck surgery (broken neck).
I had just poured a cup of coffee and sat down at the kitchen table, when I watched on TV, the image of the first tower, in flames.
The first thing that came to mind was the time I read about a B-25 Mitchell bomber flying into the Empire State Building (in bad weather/fog), during WWII.

My jaw dropped, as I watched the 2nd airliner fly into the 2nd Tower!
Bastiges!!!!!!!!

It is with every ounce of my being, that I wish nothing but torment in the devil's house, for the cowards that have injured and killed these innocent victims, whether they were an active part in commiting this act of terrorism, or even remotely linked to it.

My blood boils with anger towards these terrorists.

I am prepared for 'the next time'.

God Bless America.

ETA: Somebody rep fbodyfan for me. The 'spreading it around' message won't allow me to! Thanks.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:02 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
Somebody rep fbodyfan for me. The 'spreading it around' message won't allow me to! Thanks.
Done already my friend!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:07 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Great photo in the OP. My flag is out in front of the house today too. I remember that morning. On the way to work the radio said one of the World Trade towers was hit by an airplane. When I got to work we took the TV out of the training room and rigged up an antenna. That's when we saw the airliner fly into the second tower.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:33 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

I had just gotten through taking an anti-terorism training class, designed to gove me the tools to teach the new personnel about the threats. The instructor- James Thurber, FBI- told us that there was going to be an attack on the Unites States, and that it would likely involve mass casualties. He was sure it would be bombs in cars or something like that. It was prophetic, because a couple weeks later, I woke up to my wife telling me about a plane that had flown into the WTC. My first thought was "it had to be done on purpose, this was an attack."

I'll always remember that sadness I felt when the towers finally gave way and crashed to the ground. It was symbolic to me. Of course, later on when I saw the images of people jumping out of the flaming skyscraper, I became more aware of the horrors of the day. That image is the one that will stay with me forever.

Quick Reply: Remember Today