1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Sharing my restoration experience so far!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:45 PM
shanes66charger
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sharing my restoration experience so far!

As most of you I have been enveloped in restoring my 78 f-150. I just thought I'd share how it's went so far!

Well, I went for the full frame off resto for a few reasons. First of all, I don't know if i'll ever have the chance to do this again so I wanted to do it full blow. Second, As some of you know this was my dads, brothers, and another brothers before it was mine. Sadly My brother who had it before me was tragically killed in a snowmobile accident. The day I got it, I knew I would never sell it for any price or reason.

Anywho, I decided that after ten years of spending money in the bar etc, It was time!

I am fortunate enough to have an older brother with a huge nice shop and every tool under the sun. It helps!

Having pretty much finished the frame/suspension portion I can say I am quite proud and very satisfied. I never doubted I had the ability to do all the work myself, But, when I look at what I have accomplished it is a great feeling. I have heard many of you say before that it is nice having a truck that you built. I have to agree. Granted I had a shop powder coat the frame, and also had a shop weld new splines on my driveshaft, but Everything else I did myself.

At times to this point I can honestly say I got frustrated/tired/etc. But I took a step back and hit it the next day.

I have spent countless hours reading this forum for tips etc, and prowling ebay and the internet for nos parts.

Of course I have spent about 3x what I was planning for this stage. lol But I am very happy with the result.

Looking ahead, I would say is the BULK of the work. But envisioning what I hope the final result to be has me feeling pretty good at this point. It has been a very rewarding experience so far! I can only hope the next stage goes as well as the first!

Some people on here have given me some great ideas, and tips on where to find parts etc. A big thanks to mike0000 and Number dummy, among others.

I am always open to ideas, tips, advice etc.

There are some pics in my main thread.

sorry this was long, I am just a bit proud.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:46 PM
miottimouse
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey thats what its all about! doing it your self with lots of blood sweat and tears,standing back and saying "dam that looks good"! keep up the good work and lets see some pics!
my wife gets so mad when i drag another truck home but i also envision what the end result will be not what it is now and not to toot my own horn but the trophys on the wall gets me motivated big time

Old 08-13-2009, 12:16 AM
bulletsneverlie
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The funny part about my resto is I keep getting more trucks. I started with one black '73 (free). I then bought a yellow parts truck '74 ($300), which then became the core of the resto. Next Tuesday I'm having a green '79 delivered ($400). These things multiply like rabbits! It seems I can get whole trucks way cheaper than I can get parts, so I've just been snatching 'em up. When I stopped and asked the guy at the scrap yard about my newest acquisition, I asked him "How much for the bed?", he said $300. I asked "How much for the whole truck?" Four hundred. It runs and drives! I guess he was tired of looking at it.

I'm actually parting out and selling things I don't need and things I have in triplicate. By my figures, I'm actually making a good profit on my dent sides, which in turn will be spent... on my dent sides!

Old 08-13-2009, 01:38 AM
shanes66charger
Laughing Gas
hahah. that's good stuff!

Hey bullets, About this green 79 your having delivered! If by some chance it has the metallic jade green dash pad, and by even rarer chance it happens to be crack free......I would be more than happy to "contribute" to your profits so to speak.

let me know eh!
Thanks SJ

Old 08-13-2009, 06:51 AM
miottimouse
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ha ha ha you got the bug its called obsesive dentsideis syndrome the only cure? more trucks,more parts,more trucks more parts it only ends when you [1] die or [2] you have ford parts stuck in every nook and cranny and cant fit any more [3] run out of money lol
i am lucky my wife knows my sickness,she even buys me parts what a women!!

Old 08-13-2009, 07:45 AM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Sorry to hear about your brother.

Many times I felt like selling my 250 as a basket case when I did the frame off. Wait till it is finished and your finally driving, no better feeling than that.

Now to finish my crewcab resto and I'll finally be all done......

Old 08-13-2009, 08:58 AM
bulletsneverlie
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shane, I'll let you know about the dash pad. I didn't get a good look at it, but I do know the entire interior is Jade green. Just about every piece of that interior will be up for sale, It'll help pay for the truck. I mostly want it for the bed and camper.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bulletsneverlie
Shane, I'll let you know about the dash pad. I didn't get a good look at it, but I do know the entire interior is Jade green. Just about every piece of that interior will be up for sale, It'll help pay for the truck. I mostly want it for the bed and camper.
What about the radio mount bracket and the instrument cluster panel? I've been looking for something I can cut up so I can put a DIN-style stereo in my truck but I don't want to cut up the stuff that's in their now lol... I guess I should ask what style panel you have first as my truck doesn't have AC...

Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 AM
shanes66charger
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by bulletsneverlie
Sweet! thanks man!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Glad I could help a little bit. Thanks for the "nod" in your post.