6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Upfitting and outfitting for electronic devises

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:38 AM
Grampa "J"
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Upfitting and outfitting for electronic devises

Well I just got back from holidays and it was very apparent that I needed some improvments in the wiring department. After trying to use my XM radio, a radar detector and a gps and my son using his electronic devices I quickly realized that we needed some help. I would have bought one of those three/one cigarette lighter adaptors but neither of the factory units are switched off with the key and who wants a dead battery? After some thinking about my needs I came up with a solution that I am really pleased with. I really wanted to have the radar detector on an upfitter so that I can turn it off when I wish [ like driving around town etc.] However... I need three units plugged in at the same time and I did not wish to loose the radio or gps if I switch off the radar detector. Also... if the xm radio is switched off with the ignition then the radio will send a loud hissing as it looses signal and will continue until the door is opened... hmmm... not very desirable to say the least. Just thought that I would share a solution with anyone who might be interested as I really like how this all worked out. I bought a three unit lighter assembly with a usb plug as well. It had a cord that you plug into the lighter... I wanted that one so I could cut the cord and hardwire it in. I then took it home and took it apart and seperated one of the three and added a wire to feed it seperate from the other two. I then hooked that wire to the upfitter so I can switch the radar detector off at will. I then found the relay to the delayed accesories and hooked the other two lighters to it. Now my gps and xm radio remain on until the door is opened. This way I can use the gps with the vehicle off and I do not get blasted by the radio as it looses signal from the xm should it be on a keyed switch. Just thought that I would share this and if anyone is interested or has questions I could add more infomation. I really like my recently purchased truck [ 2006 F250] and this mod has added a very convenient and practical solution to todays gimics and gadgets. This site has been such a help to me and was just trying to contribute a small amount back to anyone interested. I really like the fact that the added multiple lighter can be added to the delayed circuit that the radio is on... Grampa "J"

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Fords4Me
Elder User
Grampa, where did you tap into the delay at? that is a very useful circuit.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:21 AM
1954oldred
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have similar issues, I have a valentine one RD mounted up top near rear view mirror. I searched EBAY one night for "valentine one" and came accross www.safe-n-sound1.com they offer hardwire solutions off mirror power etc... for RD's. Might be worth a look for You and others. Company is great to deal with(bought 2 so far) and they have fast shipping.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Grampa "J"
New User
Thank you for the heads up. I never would have thought about power from the mirror... hmmm... that's cause mine doesn't have that option lol. but that is a great idea. The solution that I used has worked really well for me however having a cord from the detector hidden would be even better. I'll have to chek this out further. thanks for the idea.

Grampa"J"

Old 08-01-2022, 07:02 PM
fordmademepoor
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great idea very useful.

Originally Posted by Grampa "J"
Well I just got back from holidays and it was very apparent that I needed some improvments in the wiring department. After trying to use my XM radio, a radar detector and a gps and my son using his electronic devices I quickly realized that we needed some help. I would have bought one of those three/one cigarette lighter adaptors but neither of the factory units are switched off with the key and who wants a dead battery? After some thinking about my needs I came up with a solution that I am really pleased with. I really wanted to have the radar detector on an upfitter so that I can turn it off when I wish [ like driving around town etc.] However... I need three units plugged in at the same time and I did not wish to loose the radio or gps if I switch off the radar detector. Also... if the xm radio is switched off with the ignition then the radio will send a loud hissing as it looses signal and will continue until the door is opened... hmmm... not very desirable to say the least. Just thought that I would share a solution with anyone who might be interested as I really like how this all worked out. I bought a three unit lighter assembly with a usb plug as well. It had a cord that you plug into the lighter... I wanted that one so I could cut the cord and hardwire it in. I then took it home and took it apart and seperated one of the three and added a wire to feed it seperate from the other two. I then hooked that wire to the upfitter so I can switch the radar detector off at will. I then found the relay to the delayed accesories and hooked the other two lighters to it. Now my gps and xm radio remain on until the door is opened. This way I can use the gps with the vehicle off and I do not get blasted by the radio as it looses signal from the xm should it be on a keyed switch. Just thought that I would share this and if anyone is interested or has questions I could add more infomation. I really like my recently purchased truck [ 2006 F250] and this mod has added a very convenient and practical solution to todays gimics and gadgets. This site has been such a help to me and was just trying to contribute a small amount back to anyone interested. I really like the fact that the added multiple lighter can be added to the delayed circuit that the radio is on... Grampa "J"
Excellent idea. I too recently purchased an 2006 F250. Installed rear camera, rear light, light bar up front, wired through fog light circuit instead of upfitter switch and last but not least 55gal fuel tank and pump. Last week had an issue with led headlights and noticed front bar light barely flicker, same with the rear and fuel pump on 55gal tank. Checked fuses and can hear and feel relays making but no action. I've had a difficult time finding a complete diagram of the upfitter circuit. I can only assume at this point until I can test for voltage at the relays behind the glove box. Any suggestions?

Old 08-02-2022, 08:28 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 343 Likes on 213 Posts
This post is 13 yrs old and looks like Grampa J ain't coming back.