1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Roadmaster Active Suspension on a Truck, not Excursion..

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadmaster Active Suspension on a Truck, not Excursion..

I know these things are real popular in the excursion world, I just wanted to see if there are any opinions out there for a truck application? My truck currently has the factory sway bar and overload springs. I understand that the overload spring would have to be removed to install the RAS system. My question is, does the RAS actually do any better than the overload spring? Also, it specifically states in the FAQ section of their website that it increases payload capacity:

<TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD class=contentheading width="100%">"Will RAS increase my payload? </TD><TD class=buttonheading align=right width="100%"> </TD><TD class=buttonheading align=right width="100%"> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>Yes. With the RAS system now supporting the rear leaf springs the payload can be increased by 50% over the vehicle’s rated payload. Even with this additional weight RAS will prevent the vehicle from bottoming out."

I know this does nothing for GVWR, but if it will help the sag of my truck with the 5er hooked up and help the truck handle the load better, it may be something I'd be interested in. Thanks for the input.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 08-03-2009, 10:18 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I was reading that site yesterday and I am certainly intrigued. The closest place to get them around here is about 40 minutes away, and i would like to talk to them a little first.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:50 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

We just installed a set on Clay's truck. He will be there shortly fellas so you can see them in person.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:18 PM
87 F-150 I6
Posting Guru
Just took a look at the site, looks like a cool product and I am interested to hear how it works on Clays.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert6401
I know this does nothing for GVWR, but if it will help the sag of my truck with the 5er hooked up and help the truck handle the load better, it may be something I'd be interested in. Thanks for the input.
These are big in the Excursion world. I didn't realize they are almost unknown in the F250 world.

As for the above quoted part, the RAS was designed specifically to eliminate sag, as well as beef up the suspension to combat sway, especially for 15 passenger vans, IIRC.

I'm gonna send my buddy Joe "X_Hemi_Guy" a quick PM and ask him to pop in to this thread. He's the resident guru for the RAS and his knowledge will certainly be perfect for this forum, even though his experience is with the Excursions.

Stewart

Old 08-03-2009, 07:06 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert6401
I know these things are real popular in the excursion world, I just wanted to see if there are any opinions out there for a truck application? My truck currently has the factory sway bar and overload springs. I understand that the overload spring would have to be removed to install the RAS system. My question is, does the RAS actually do any better than the overload spring?
Bob,

Man I'm sorry that I wasn't able to meet you in person in Gatlinburg to talk about this topic around the campfire!...

Now I'm not sure if I can live up to the billing by my friend Stewart...but I'll try!

To answer your questions...

When you hitch up your 5'r...are you riding on your overload spring?...I assume you are...now the next question is does the over load spring carry more or less stored energy than the RAS springs?...I'm guessing (a pure guess here)...that the RAS carries more stored energy. The folks at Roadmaster claim that the RAS on my Ex adds ~2000#'s of rear spring capacity...I don't think a single overload spring would have that type of capacity...but I certainly could be wrong.

Also I would venture a guess that the RAS adds other benefits to your truck over the over load spring...it will assist with reduction of wheel hop when unloaded as well as help to actually resist axle wrapping. I'm not sure if you are familar with that phenom?...if not...ALL leaf sprung vehicles are prone to axle wrapping due to leaf spring flexure. The taller the spacer block between the axle and the leaf springs the more prone the vehicle is to axle wrapping. My Excursion tends to be more prone to axle wrapping due to the softer leaf spring pack Ford chose to install plus a large spacer block...you can get axle wrapping due to acceleration or deceleration...plus when your trailer pushes on the rear of your truck it can induce some wrapping too even though you have a 5'r it can still flex those rear leaf springs.

So I would think you would benefit from the RAS from reducing your sagging rear end plus to enhance some of the stability of the truck all the way around...sure you have the rear sway bar...but to be honest...the OEM sway bars I have seen on F250's are mighty thin round flex steel...my Hellwig is much thicker than the OEM F250's...and my RAS still increases my overall stability...however as Stewart eludes to...Ford really did us Ex owners NO FAVORS in the chosen spring pack! I can tell you that in the 2+ years I have installed the RAS on my Ex (I was one of the first to give it a try and many have followed happily after)...that my Ex is rock solid as I tow a bumper pulled trailer of 9000#'s and 35' hitch to bumper...I've been thru all kinds of terrain and weather and I can tell you that I am a happy RAS owner and would recommend it as another 'tool' to choose when looking to enhance the rear spring capacity of our trucks...for us Ex owners we have really saggy rears and axle wrapping...and even with my weak OEM springs...the RAS allows the rear of my Ex to only sag minimally when I drop nearly 1200#'s of tongue weight on her...your spring pack is by design beefier than mine to start so I think the RAS would be a good addition all around...

Of course...you could always add air bags too...they wouldn't do anything for axle wrapping but you could keep your over load spring and then use the air bags to simply level your truck once you are hitched up...if you load your 5'r in a similar manner each time...you could simply pump up the air bags to the same psi prior to hitching and be all set...just a thought...

As far as either...JCWhitney usually carries the Roadmaster and air bags for our trucks and they regularly send out 20-25% off coupons...but shopping around is always prudent...many guys in the Ex forum got RAS systems for $100 shipped to their homes from a seller on EBay last year...so there are deals to be found depending on how hard you want to look...I paid ~$240 for my RAS shipped to my door and I can honestly say I would pay another $240 if I needed another for some reason...I am that sold on what it did for my Ex...now if the benefit will be as great with a truck with 'proper' rear springs is yet to be seen...but these things have been used for years on the E chassis 3/4 and 1 ton vans for added stability...so I think they are on to something and I am sold if you can't tell...

Hope this helps a little...if not let me know...hope to finally meet you at next years Ex/Truck rally...

Take care,
Joe.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Joe,

I didn't realize you were the resident expert on RAS. I have to admit though, as much as it sounds like it helped you, I'm not completely sold on my application. I will be anxious to hear what Clay has to say when I meet him this weekend, although he is using it with a truck camper, not a 5th wheel. I also think the excursions have softer springs from the factory, which makes sense as to why they are so popular for you guys. I can see how they would be beneficial if I didnt already have overload springs, but as it is I just dont know. Thanks for the input.

Bob

Old 08-03-2009, 09:05 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Clay is pulling a travel trailer, that picture of the truck with camper is Mark's (milleroutdoors).

Old 08-04-2009, 05:53 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Bob,

I'm interested in what Clay says too...I always like real world data!

For me...an over load spring is just that...something that comes into play when the rest of the spring pack takes up what it is designed to carry...and the over load adds more capacity at that point...but before that...it is just sitting there.

The RAS however works in conjunction WITH your spring pack and is integral at all times...it doesn't just wait until the rest of the spring pack compresses to a point that it is needed...so in theory it actually enhances your original spring pack in a slightly different way than the over load...is one way better than the other?...intuition tells me that the RAS adds more benefits than the over load (by reduction of axle wrapping that the over load can do nothing about)...but I have no firm data...(BTW...there was very little firm data on the RAS benefits on the Ex until I installed mine in 2007 and since then numerous Ex owners have realized the benefits!)...I'm interested now just like you are in Clay's report since he has real world data.

Bumper pulled trailers (like Clays and mine) actually will induce MORE of the axle wrap phenom as the trailer PUSHES on the rear of the truck at some distance from the axle...the RAS benefits there cannot be achieved with just an over load spring.

True the EX has softer OEM springs and that is why I beleive we benefit from the RAS...but any device that can add ~2000#'s of spring capacity (air bags included)...for ~$200-250 I think is what you are looking for...

Have you also looked into super springs to see if they have something that works with your OEM pack and allows you to keep the over load spring?...I believe the air bags do allow you to keep the over load too...

I'm just going to go into watch mode on this thread...

Good luck with your quest!

Joe.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Jeff,
Thanks for clearing that up, sorry.

Joe,
We'll see what Clay has to say and once I get a better look at them. BTW, you'll be glad to know that Mark was championing the RAS at Excursion Diversion in leiu of your absence .

Old 08-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

I put a set of RAS on my old 1994 F150 which my Nephew now owns, we adjusted them as per the instructions and the truck now sits about 2" higher in the back (empty) than it did originally, and it seems to nose dive on hard braking that it didn't before, I called RAS and asked them to varify the application they sent me and they said I had the right kit, and to try adjusting them so only a dime would fit in between the coils rather than the original instructions that say a quarter.
These things are fantastic if we pull a trailer or load the truck up which we hardly do, so we're considering taking them off completely.
I think these things are made for mostly loaded situations such as these extended wheelbase vans they show on their site-loaded with people such as a church van or something.......and like I say if you carry heavy loads or pull trailers very regularly then they are great! (my .02)

Old 08-04-2009, 12:10 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

I just got off the phone with Clay and he said he doesn't ever want to tow with out them again!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I plan on using the RAS and the spacer kit Pete is working on to give my 2-wheel drive truck just a slight lift, putting her at a much better stance than she is now. Plus, the RAS will keep the truck from being *** end down when I hook the trailer up to her.

Stewart

Old 08-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by WA.Ranger
I just got off the phone with Clay and he said he doesn't ever want to tow with out them again!
Sweet, I'm looking forward to learning more about them this weekend.