Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question About the Motorcraft FL-1A in the Oil Filter Study

Old 07-24-2002, 11:11 AM
zippinz
Junior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-Jul-02 AT 12:14 PM (EST)]In this oil filter study we keep looking at [link:www.minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html#b2|(Oil Filter Study)] :

For the Motorcraft FL-1A filter the study states "Basically, it is a Purolator Pure One filter cartridge in a Purolator Premium Plus case." OK, but, in the chart for the Motorcraft FL-1A, it states "paper media" for the element type whereas in the Pure One
chart it says "sythnetic media" .

My Question Is:
If this filter is similar to the PureOne, should this instead say "synthetic media" in the FL-1A's chart?

I e-mailed them about this, but no response yet.

Old 07-24-2002, 11:53 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

hmm good question..

I'd sure like to know the answer too... I've sold purolator and motor craft for years and i know that they are some the best on the market.

super

Old 07-24-2002, 04:05 PM
hitecdan
Elder User

The Purolator Premium Plus L30001 is a paper element, while the Pure One PL30001 is a Synthetic element.

The FL-1A I believe is based on the L30001, which is a paper element.

Old 07-24-2002, 05:46 PM
zippinz
Junior User

Is the "Long Lasting FL-1A" he mentions in the Oil Filter Study different than the FL-1A you're talking about ?

Old 07-24-2002, 07:58 PM
2fords2
Senior User

I've read that oil filter study and the author's feeling that the Motorcraft filters are the same as a PureOne. He bases his opinion on the color of some dye he observed on the filters 3 years ago. I remain very, very, VERY skepticle that a Ford filter is the same as a PureOne. I just can't believe that Ford would use the synthetic element of the PureOne in their filter without somehow marketing that advantage. And especially at the price a Motorcraft goes for. I've also never seen any independant confirmation of the fact. Ford won't comment, or respond to emails. All I've ever seen is just the original oil filter study author's assertion...that others pass it on, on the internet as gospel. I need more than that to believe.

I suspect Motorcraft filters are closer to the Premium Plus line rather than the PureOne. A great filter nonetheless, but I doubt they are a PureOne.

Old 07-24-2002, 10:39 PM
zippinz
Junior User

I guess a guy could buy 1 of each and cut them open. Guess you could even use each one first, but then it would be a little harder to tell if the filter material was the same. Hey, before ya know it, you could have your own Oil Filter Study website and become a millionaire.

Old 07-25-2002, 10:31 PM
2fords2
Senior User

now thats a great idea. But who in their right mind would pay to know??

Old 07-29-2002, 06:23 PM
zippinz
Junior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 29-Jul-02 AT 07:24 PM (EST)]Man, I don't know, but all those guys at Enron and Worldcom figured out how to get rich by basically doin' nothin' except screwin' people - oops, I guess therein lies the problem - I'm not a scum sucking maggot like they (and their lawyers) are.

Bands of Roving Chief Executives Spotted Miles from Mexican Border
San Antonio, Texas (Rooters News Service)

Unwilling to wait for their eventual indictments, the 10,000 remaining CEOs of public U.S. companies made a break for it yesterday, heading for the Mexican border, plundering towns and villages along the way, and writing the entire rampage off as a marketing expense. "They came into my home, made me pay for my own TV, and then double-booked the revenues," said Rachel Sanchez of Las Cruces, just north of El Paso. "Right in front of my daughters." Calling themselves the CEOnistas, the chief executives were first spotted last night along the Rio Grande River near Quemado, where they bought each of the town's 320 residents by borrowing against pension fund gains.

By late this morning, the CEOnistas had arbitrarily inflated Quemado's population to 960, and declared a 200 percent profit for the fiscal second quarter. This morning, the outlaws bought the city of Waco, transferred its under performing areas to a private partnership, and sent a bill to California for $4.5 billion. Law enforcement officials and disgruntled shareholders riding posse were noticeably frustrated. "First of all, they're very hard to find because they always stand behind their numbers, and the numbers keep shifting," said posse spokesman Dean Levitt. "And every time we yell 'Stop in the name of the shareholders!', they refer us to investor relations. I've been on the phone all damn morning."

"YOU'LL NEVER AUDIT ME ALIVE!" is the rallying cry of the CEOnistas. The pursuers said they have had some success, however, by preying on a common executive weakness. "Last night we caught about 24 of them by disguising one of our female officers as a CNBC anchor," said U.S. Border Patrol spokesperson Janet Lewis. "It was like moths to a flame."

Also, teams of agents have been using high-powered listening devices to scan the plains for telltale sounds of the CEOnistas. "Most of the time we just hear leaves rustling or cattle flicking their tails," said Lewis, "but occasionally we'll pick up someone saying, 'I was totally out of the loop on that.'" Among former and current CEOs apprehended with this method were Computer Associates' Sanjay Kumar, Adelphia's John Rigas, Enron's Ken Lay, Joseph Nacchio of Qwest, Joseph Berardino of Arthur Andersen, and every Global Crossing CEO since 1997. Not seen with the CEOnistas were ImClone Systems' Sam Waksal and Dennis Kozlowski of Tyco. They were not allowed to join the CEOnistas as they have already been indicted.

So far, about 50 chief executives have been captured, including Martha Stewart, who was detained south of El Paso where she had cut through a barbed-wire fence at the Zaragosa border crossing off Highway 375. "She would have gotten away, but she was stopping motorists to ask for marzipan and food coloring so she could make edible snowman place settings, using the cut pieces of wire for the arms," said Border Patrol officer Jennette Cushing. "We put her in cell No. 7, because the morning sun really adds texture to the stucco walls." While some stragglers are believed to have successfully crossed into Mexico, Cushing said the bulk of the CEOnistas have holed themselves up at the Alamo. "No, not the fort, the car rental place at the airport," she said. "They're rotating all the tires on the minivans and accounting for each change as a sales event."

Old 07-29-2002, 06:56 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Zippinz,
That's pretty funny, but I'm trying to understand why you posted that here instead of the General forum
Seems a little 'off topic' here... ... well, not unless Martha Stewart makes a cute craft item out of the Motorcraft FL-1A

Old 07-30-2002, 10:25 AM
zippinz
Junior User

You're right - I'm not real great at these forums yet - and now I can't move it because of the 60 minute window on editing. I guess I could re-post it in the right place, though.

Old 07-30-2002, 12:09 PM
MrBSS
Posting Guru

Don't sweat the small stuff. I, for one, enjoyed it!

MrBSS

Old 07-30-2002, 05:12 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Zippinz, I kinda figured that's what happened.
I just had to ask so you guys wouldn't think I was
Since MrBSS likes it, it's gonna stay!

Old 08-25-2002, 12:29 PM
numocystic_10
Junior User

Well perhaps the Pure One is blended media(cellulose and other fibers) and the FL-1A is all cellulose,or perhaps the FL-1A is the blended one and the Pure One is all synthetic.I dont think the FL-1A has a silicone anti-drainback either,it is nitrile I think.I think I`ll stick with the Pure One.

Old 08-26-2002, 09:10 AM
MrBSS
Posting Guru

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-Aug-02 AT 10:16 AM (EST)]Don't know if the FL-1A has changed, but the new Motorcraft FL820S (mod motor) definitely has the orange silicon rubber anti-drain back valve. They claim it on the box, and it seems to work. On my last oil change the filter was heavier than usual, I think because the old oil hadn't dribbled out.

MrBSS

PS: I see in the Bosch Oil Filter thread that the "S" in the model number indicates Silicon rubber anti-drain back. So apparently the FL-1A is not.