Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transmission fluid change question?

Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke-7.3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission fluid change question?

Ok. I am getting ready to move to chicago for diesel mechanics school and I am doing some perventative maintenance. I put a new alternator on (life time warrenty) and a new belt. I also got a new transmission filter and gasket. I was told that the tranny holds 6.5 quarts of oil so I bought 7 quarts. I started thinking and remembered that the torque converter holds alot of oil. I have been told that there is a way to drain it but then all together I will need almost 17 quarts of oil. Is it better to just change the 6.5 quarts in the pan or should I change all 17 quarts?

Old 07-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's definitely better to change all of it, and yes, 17 qts is about right, but you need about 20 to get it all out. Drain the pan, pull it, and put the new filter on. Close it up & put in about 7-8 quarts. Then just pull the rear cooler line from the trans and connect it to a short piece of clear hose. Run that out to something to catch all the fluid. Clear is important so you can see bubbles in it. When you see large bubbles (there will be small ones the whole time), stop the truck and refill the pan. Repeat until you have enough to fill the pan one more time. Connect the cooler line back to the trans & top off...

Here are the complete instructions:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...nsmission.html

The only thing you need to know is that it's okay to run Mercon V now. I have Mobil1 full syn Merc V in mine. Been there for about a year and a half now.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:04 PM
ADAMZ
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just changed my oil in my trans and used 16 quarts. I changed the pan and the torque converter. If you take the cover plate off the front of the trans and rotate the motor untill you see the plug on the torque converter that is how you drop the oil out. To fill the converter back up put about 6 quarts in start the motor for about a min shut it off put some more in and keep doing that untill it is on the full mark. This is how I did mine with no problems so far.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:12 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Be advised that some of the later model trucks do not have a TC drain plug. Sorry, don't know what years. If you do not have a TC drain plug then the Mark Kovalsky method is the way to go.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke-7.3
Senior User
My truck is the early 99 model. The trans. is a 4R100. it has a drain plug on the bottom of the pan as well

Old 07-27-2009, 05:11 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
You have a drain-plug type converter. There's a cover you have to take off to gain access, and then you have to move the converter around until the plug gets to the very bottom.

If I were you, I'd drop the pan completely to clean the "ring magnet" around the plug, too.

That way, you'll start off with almost all new fluid and no pan sludge.

It will also give you an opportunity to see what kind of stuff might be in the bottom of the pan.

Pop

Old 07-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
The plugs in the TCs disappeared around 2001, IIRC. If you're feeling REALLY froggy, think about a shift kit if you have the time. You're almost there when you have the filter out!! You can get the TransGo HD2 kit for around $70, and it's real nice improvement!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:37 PM
ngng
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
What is this special fill funnel?

Old 07-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ngng
What is this special fill funnel?
They have 'em at any parts store, or even Wal-Mart. Just one that fits snuggly into the dipstick tube with the large end offset so you can pour into it at an angle. You can also get one with a flexible neck...

Old 07-29-2009, 10:23 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Powerstroke-7.3
Ok. I am getting ready to move to chicago for diesel mechanics school and I am doing some perventative maintenance. I put a new alternator on (life time warrenty) and a new belt. I also got a new transmission filter and gasket. I was told that the tranny holds 6.5 quarts of oil so I bought 7 quarts. I started thinking and remembered that the torque converter holds alot of oil. I have been told that there is a way to drain it but then all together I will need almost 17 quarts of oil. Is it better to just change the 6.5 quarts in the pan or should I change all 17 quarts?

I am the IL chapter leader.
if you need any help when you come to Chicago,il, let me know
I sent you a PM
Are you going to attend UTI in Glendale heights?

Old 09-10-2009, 09:28 AM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a few questions...

I have a 2002 F250 7.3.

The owners manual says to look on the dipstick for the type of tranny fluid. It says MERCON. But I called the ford dealer and gave him my vin#. they stated I have a 4R100 and to use Mercon V. I am confused.

Also, I have just about 200,000 miles now. should I change the tranny filter?

Question on draining the TC.... If I drain via the clear tube method, how do I get the fluid out of the TC? I read to add about 6qts and then redrain? how many times to repeat this to drain the TC?

Thanks.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:26 PM
afonda
Laughing Gas
bump

bump to the top.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by afonda
The owners manual says to look on the dipstick for the type of tranny fluid. It says MERCON. But I called the ford dealer and gave him my vin#. they stated I have a 4R100 and to use Mercon V. I am confused.
MERCON has been discontinued. MERCON V has been changed to be compatible with the 4R100, so it is now the right fluid.

Also, I have just about 200,000 miles now. should I change the tranny filter?
Yes.

Question on draining the TC.... If I drain via the clear tube method, how do I get the fluid out of the TC?
That method removes the fluid directly from the torque converter.

I read to add about 6qts and then redrain? how many times to repeat this to drain the TC?
It's in the procedure. Three times will change 18 quarts, and that's the total capacity of the trans.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:31 AM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Mark, thanks for the great info..

Not to sound like a block head... I just want to make sure I understand what you are trying to convey correctly..

If I drain the tranny, then refill with 6 qts and drain that (doing this 3 times) that is 18 qts.

And then fill the tranny with an additional 18 or 19 qts... that is a total of 36 or so qts of ATF.

Am I understanding you correctly?

Old 09-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I don't see how you're getting to 36 quarts.

To summarize, I start the engine and get about 6 quarts. Then I put 6 back in.
Then I start it and get about 6 quarts. Then I put 6 back in.
Then I start it and get about 6 quarts. That's 18 quarts, and the trans should be about 6 quarts low, though it could be as much as 8 quarts low.
Now I put 6 quarts back in and warm it up to set the level. It could take as much as 2 more quarts to top it off. That makes 20 quarts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change question?