General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Thunderbird Email help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 05:24 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thunderbird Email help

Hey everyone, I've got an email issue

At work, I have to login to our "server" but then my desktop appears (I think "logging in" just maps network drives. I use thunderbird for my pop3 email.

well I go to log in today and windows cant find my profile. so it creates a new one.

I was able to find the profile with the help of our IT guy, but my email appears to still be gone.

Any ideas?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:38 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jake00

At work, I have to login to our "server" but then my desktop appears (I think "logging in" just maps network drives. I use thunderbird for my pop3 email.

well I go to log in today and windows cant find my profile. so it creates a new one.

I was able to find the profile with the help of our IT guy, but my email appears to still be gone.

Any ideas?
Jake logging in doesn't just map network drives..

Depending on how the network is setup it maintains the network security and grants or denies access to files and folders.

It also has what they call roaming profiles so when you login at a machine it has all your settings no matter what PC you use..

Not sure what configuration you have at work so I don't have any real answer to your problem..

I would try checking the thunderbird website for frequently asked questions to see if anyone has had this issue..

Old 06-10-2009, 08:25 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure if we have roaming profiles, I'll try logging in tomorow from another comp

Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Click on
tools
account settings
server settings
local directory

That is where the file is that Thunderbird is going to use. Now, you just have to find where the old copy is. Your new setting may not reflect where the old copy was.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:58 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jake00

Any ideas?
You can find your exact email folder here...

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles

In that Profiles folder, there should be a single folder with some oddball name like "ttts0s1i.default". All of your info is there. I would suggest making a *COPY* of that folder, in that Profile folder (name it in a similar fashion). That way... when they figure your stuff out, the original has not been disturbed. Once you make the copy, back out of that folder, so you are in the Thunderbird folder (probably has 3 files... the Profiles folder, a file called profile.ini, and a registry entry.

Open the 'profile.ini' file with notepad, or some simple text editor. It should look something like this

"[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/ttts0s1i.default
"

See the last line? Thats specifying the folder. Delete whatever is in place of the 'ttts02..." as seen above, and enter the newly created copied folder name.

Restart Thunderbird, and it should work.... unless it doesnt.

Thats typically how a simple user can work around this. If your email is not saved locally (some fancy network setups have other configurations)... well you are going to have to wait for the proper IT folks to swing by. Good luck.