1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1400 EGT in headwind on DP 120, is temp normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 05:33 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1400 EGT in headwind on DP 120, is temp normal?

Hi,

Today I was testing a downshift issue while in DP 120 on I-70 in central IL and the headwind was BAD! I stomped on the go pedal while cruising at 65 MPH and truck started to launch forward quickly. I noticed my EGT gauge jump to 1400 and the engine outline lit up in lower left corner of instrument cluster. I got off the pedal very fast. EGT's dropped to 1000 then down to 800 rather quickly, and light went off approximately 1 minute later. Is this normal for the situation I was in? Thanks, V/r Les

Old 02-21-2009, 05:54 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Sounds normal when you have a program that just throws alot of fuel into the engine, thats why EGT's hit the roof, the check engine light more than likely is 1211 code. The HPOP is above or below desired pressure, this shows up with alot of programers or chips. The 1400 EGTs is not good.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:04 PM
stormyrider
Elder User
1150 degrees F is the high safe temperature for EGT's. Above that for anylength of time will cause damage to pistons, exhaust valves and your turbo. Normally dropping down 1 gear lowers the temps or backing off of the throttle.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:58 PM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
1400*!?! WOW. Thats really high. I never see over 1200* towing 8K up the rockies at 75 mph regardless of the wind.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:47 PM
RussB
Posting Guru
I've seen 1400 a few times on my truck ! I back out of it pretty darn quick though ! Usually when your watching the road more than the gauges !!!

Old 02-21-2009, 08:56 PM
05chop
Elder User
Well can I suggest something here? If you are going to post about EGT then tell us if your stinger is in the manifold or somewhere in the downpipe.1400 degree

Old 02-21-2009, 09:02 PM
RussB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 05chop
Well can I suggest something here? If you are going to post about EGT then tell us if your stinger is in the manifold or somewhere in the downpipe.1400 degree
Mine is in the manifold ! Different gauges to read differently as well... we all have to remember this !!! A friends truck runs hot as well and you have to wonder how accurate these gauges really are ???

The other thing you should look for is a leak in your up pipes !! I know mine are leaking and could be the reason why I have hotter temps !!!

Old 02-21-2009, 09:07 PM
05chop
Elder User
Thank you for serving! The self generating units are very accurate. I would not tow in a head wind with those temps.Grab another gear should drop Egt

Old 02-21-2009, 09:54 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Originally Posted by 05chop
Good Point!!!!! I'm a Pre Turbo Believer. As I said it was only for a couple seconds then dropped after I got off the throttle. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As a comparison, I used to run the 120 race tune on my truck when I had the stock turbo, stock CAC, and stock gearing on oversized tires. When I raced at Bandimere it was common for me to see 1450 to almost 1500 degrees by the time I finished at the end of the 1/4 mile. That tune is meant as a race tune, and getting heavy in the pedal will make those EGT's rise. Since I only did that for a few seconds at a time, it wasn't a big deal.

I see in your sig that you have a Spearco intercooler. I would have expected a bit lower EGT reading with the Spearco. However, you were in a bad headwind, and you are running a lift and oversized tires. I am assuming that if you have stock gearing, correct? So that would put the RPM's at 65 MPH well under 2000. When you punched it, did it downshift? If not, I could see the EGT's rising very quickly until the RPM's came up closer to 3K. 120 race at under 2000 RPM's will make a lot of heat in a hurry.

I guess it depends on what all happened. To me, 1400 degrees with a Spearco seems a tad bit high, but you had some elements against you too. So I'm not certain you even have a problem. The check engine light is normal, probably an overboost or oil code. Quite common for that tune. As for your other mods, I'm doubting an exhaust leak since you have the DI up-pipes, and I'm assuming with the new CAC you've checked your boots. If you do have an issue, it would be bad luck like me. In the past I've managed to have a wastegate actuator completely fail and break, and an intake plenum get overtightened and crushed, causing a boost leak (totally my fault on that one).

Old 02-21-2009, 10:03 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Sounds normal to me. There are lots of things you can do to slow that temp gain down; bigger exhaust, better IC, etc.

Factory tuning is designed to mitigate average driver from ever hitting excessive EGT's - theoretically at GCWR. Add more fuel, etc from chip (120 is ALOT more fuel ) and now its up to the driver and gauges to stay below destruction levels. Take yer foot out of it when it gets high and use a lower HP tune if ya can't keep it below about 1000* with the cruise control on...

With DP 100hp tune I can easily hit 1200* - but by then I have exceeded the speed limit and lost a little tread ! Thanks again Jody (and Dianne).

My 6spd is easier to get hot. The auto in Ex hits 25psi of boost quickly and just stays there - the 6spd looses the boost after each shift, so I get some smoke (and consequently HEAT) for a second in each gear. Also, I can floor it in a higher gear, which generates more heat & smoke due to lots of fuel and lower boost #'s - the auto downshifts and therefore builds boost faster.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:16 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Originally Posted by Pocket
As a comparison, I used to run the 120 race tune on my truck when I had the stock turbo, stock CAC, and stock gearing on oversized tires. When I raced at Bandimere it was common for me to see 1450 to almost 1500 degrees by the time I finished at the end of the 1/4 mile. That tune is meant as a race tune, and getting heavy in the pedal will make those EGT's rise. Since I only did that for a few seconds at a time, it wasn't a big deal.

I see in your sig that you have a Spearco intercooler. I would have expected a bit lower EGT reading with the Spearco. However, you were in a bad headwind, and you are running a lift and oversized tires. I am assuming that if you have stock gearing, correct? So that would put the RPM's at 65 MPH well under 2000. When you punched it, did it downshift? If not, I could see the EGT's rising very quickly until the RPM's came up closer to 3K. 120 race at under 2000 RPM's will make a lot of heat in a hurry.

I guess it depends on what all happened. To me, 1400 degrees with a Spearco seems a tad bit high, but you had some elements against you too. So I'm not certain you even have a problem. The check engine light is normal, probably an overboost or oil code. Quite common for that tune. As for your other mods, I'm doubting an exhaust leak since you have the DI up-pipes, and I'm assuming with the new CAC you've checked your boots. If you do have an issue, it would be bad luck like me. In the past I've managed to have a wastegate actuator completely fail and break, and an intake plenum get overtightened and crushed, causing a boost leak (totally my fault on that one).
Thanks Pocket! That was an excellent observation. I punched it so fast I don't think it downshifted but the RPMs also quickly shot over 3000 (this is what I saw first which made me look at the EGT gauge (all within about four seconds). Like you, I've been surprised my EGTs are slightly higher, even in lighter tunes with the mods I have. I wish I'd of changed the exhaust housing on the turbo to a 1.0 or 1.15, but I purchased the Banks elbow to go with their downpipe. V/r Les