6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Power steering flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by skoveng
I had no idea what to expect when flushing the system using the hydro-boost. I purchased 5' of 3/8" fuel line and routed it into the top of an old milk jug. I placed the jug onto of my 2nd battery and watch the fluid flow through the gap between the hood (when up) and the cowl. The fluid actually flowed when the brake pedel was released, not when pushed. It seamed to let out a pre-determined amount of fluid each time; likly based the the accumulator volume in the hydro-boost. I know that the hydro-boost will permit two brake applications if the power steering pump is lost (system failure or if the engine would die).

I was thinking that maybe the flow from the steering box return would be too much for the filter. But I figured the filter should be able to handle the max flow that would be allowed by the 3/8" line size. I've had it out a few times and everying is fine.
Wow... so this does confirm that p/s fluid flows 100% of the time from the brake hydra-boost return line... or I am just more confused?????

I guess it seems that whether one installs the in-line filter in eaither 3/8" return line they are providing more protection than the OEM set-up... and for only $15.00... what a bargin... and it's safe to install and use.... heck Ford uses it on rebuilt trannys!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 06:55 AM
skoveng
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry if I was confusing; the fluid only flows a short burst, about the amount of a bathroom dixie cup, out of the hydro-boost return line when I let me foot OFF of the brake pedel after a brake application.

With the engine running and my foot no where near the brake pedel, there was NO flow from the hydro-boost return line (say maybe for a small trickle).

And your right - $15 for a power steering filter is cheap insurance.

As a note; I had my steering box replaced about 60K miles ago (it had a sector seal leak, was under warranty so the dealer replaced the box instead of just fixing the seal - not complaining) and the fluid was replaced. When I flushed the fluid this past weekend it was dirty but not overly so; it looked darker then new in a clear container but poured almost as clean as new.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Sorry if I was confusing; the fluid only flows a short burst, about the amount of a bathroom dixie cup, out of the hydro-boost return line when I let me foot OFF of the brake pedel after a brake application.

With the engine running and my foot no where near the brake pedel, there was NO flow from the hydro-boost return line (say maybe for a small trickle).

And your right - $15 for a power steering filter is cheap insurance.

As a note; I had my steering box replaced about 60K miles ago (it had a sector seal leak, was under warranty so the dealer replaced the box instead of just fixing the seal - not complaining) and the fluid was replaced. When I flushed the fluid this past weekend it was dirty but not overly so; it looked darker then new in a clear container but poured almost as clean as new.
Thanks for clarifying....

Darn... I will switch locations of my in-line filter later this Spring.

As well, tranny fluid is always "thinner" than oil and flows very quickly.. so usually color is the best indicator that it is dirty or burnt.

I change my p/s each Spring (drain the p/s resorvoir and refill)... figure this is better than nothing and just like a drain and refill of a transmission.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Culvert
Senior User
Just checking in.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Here is an interesting TSB that I just found (old, but worth while) about adding an in-line filter to the hydra-boost P/S line. Not sure what kind of filter it is or if it is the same as I used... but I guess I made a good choice for preventative maintanence.

2003-07 trucks grabbing brakes, pedal kickback:
This may be caused by power steering fluid contamination in the hydroboost system. There is a procedure for installing a temporary filter between the power steering pump and cooler to clean the system. After the cleaning procedure is complete and no brake grabbing or excessive steering effort is felt, remove and discard the filter. If brake grabbing continues, replace the hydroboost unit. Filter P/N XC3Z-7B155-BA;
TSB# 99-25-8, 7-11-10

Old 04-23-2009, 06:46 AM
skoveng
Senior User
Beachbumcook,

Thanks for the info. As the Magnafine has a by-pass, there is no reason to remove it from the system except for replacement. I'm planning on replacing the one on my truck once every year or so.

I bet if the average driver just flushed the system and installed the filter once, it would be a trouble free system.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Beachbumcook,

Thanks for the info. As the Magnafine has a by-pass, there is no reason to remove it from the system except for replacement. I'm planning on replacing the one on my truck once every year or so.

I bet if the average driver just flushed the system and installed the filter once, it would be a trouble free system.
I agree 100%.

I change 1 qt of fluid each year and replace the in-line filter each year. There is no down-side to leaving this filter installed installed on a full-time basis. I guess Ford figures that they just want to remove the contaminents and then return back to stock.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:26 PM
88stang1
Senior User
I just installed mine just like bismic on the label it says to replace it every year or 20k

Old 04-24-2009, 07:00 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
And just to reiterate what I said be4, if you don't cut the factory hose you can go back to stock just in case u have a jerk for a dealer.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by 88stang1
I just installed mine just like bismic on the label it says to replace it every year or 20k
Way to go....

Once a year, I just suck out the old fluid, change the filter and the refill.

Easy to remember and more than what Ford recommends... oh, that's right... they do not recommend any fluid service on the power-steering.

Did you install on the return line from the p/s pump or the hydraboost line?

Do you have any pictures of your install?

Old 04-24-2009, 08:30 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
And just to reiterate what I said be4, if you don't cut the factory hose you can go back to stock just in case u have a jerk for a dealer.
This is a great suggestion - I wish I had done it this way!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by bismic
This is a great suggestion - I wish I had done it this way!
Don't worry... I cut mine and if you had to, you just buy 12" of 3/8" hose and replace it. No dealer will even know it is there... and heck... it is even the subject of a TSB (posted above) to use this filter if the hydraboost has "jerking in the brakes".

Old 04-24-2009, 08:34 PM
88stang1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
Way to go....

Once a year, I just suck out the old fluid, change the filter and the refill.

Easy to remember and more than what Ford recommends... oh, that's right... they do not recommend any fluid service on the power-steering.

Did you install on the return line from the p/s pump or the hydraboost line?

Do you have any pictures of your install?
I installed on hydraboost line the same as the picture already in this thread.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:17 AM
PoPs 03DEX
Junior User
This is great Thank you all for the great Information this will be my next project.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:31 AM
mnmwhit
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this all seems like a big waste of time and money. Haven't we been driving cars and trucks for years simply ignoring the power steering system and it working fine???

Quick Reply: Power steering flush