6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Power steering flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:27 PM
skoveng
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that's the way I'm going to go. Since I'm adding the filter, I'll make it a "drive-way" day. I won't be in a hurry and I WILL have a few beers.

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2009, 04:59 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 69cj
And probably 65 bucks at the dealer
I should've clarified. I would look at it at the dealer and buy it from someone else. Window shop so to speak.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:37 PM
danocross
Senior User
Good post, thanks for all the info...what I can't find is what the accepted change interval should be. I did not find it in the scheduled maintenance chart. Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:55 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
make your own, non in manual. Once a year is probably good. Much better than Ford.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
As posted earlier, I bought a gallon of Mercon V fluid at local autoparts store (Mercon V and not a multi-rated fluid).

Suck out fluid with turkey baster and refill with 1qt.

Drive for a day and repeat 3 more times.

On forth and final, install in-line filter and refill to proper level.

I left mine in for 1 year... but that is up to you.

I figure that any heavy metal particles only move around in time and under high heat and pressure... and I was not willing to spend more time "flushing" the system... and I figured my method would work well enough and the filter would get the rest of it.

Since the filters are so cheap, just install a new filter in 6 months and not worry about it... then do it yearly.

Hey... for $15.00 for a filter a few bucks for fluid... its a good reason to spend quality time with your truck out in the driveway once or twice a year!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
I did a google search for "in line transmission filter" and there is one listed for WIX.

It looks he same, but it is the 5/16 size connections and not the 3/8 needed for the the P/S system.

Search for it and see if your NAPA store has it????

For $15.00 just buy one and try it... hopefully my pictures earlier in the thread are worth a $15.00 gamble to buy one site unseen??

Old 03-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Heck, I bought one from your recommendation Jeff. I know you research thoroughly before making a purchase so I trust your judgment.

My filter should be here by Friday.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:54 AM
EOD Guy
Senior User
subscribing

Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by Kep4
Heck, I bought one from your recommendation Jeff. I know you research thoroughly before making a purchase so I trust your judgment.

My filter should be here by Friday.
Great... it hurts nothing and is an easy install.

I would say drain and refill the reservoir and install and leave in for 1 year. I have heard that the brake hydraboost is always pusing fluid through it and I have read that it only happens when you apply your brakes?

I researched that the fluid is always pumping to ensure constant pressure - can a diesel tech here confirm for us?

Either way... I am comfortable with the install and after 1 year all is well.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:47 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
I just installed my filter (pics below). My Power Steering pump resevoir configuration was a little different than in your pictures. I also did not flush the system before install. Probably should have, but I only have 43k miles on the truck, so I figured it shouldn't be loaded down with solids yet. Probably will do a flush / fluid replacement in 20k miles. I bought two filters, so I am ready to go w/ a new installation at any time. I was surprised to see the brand name "Raybestos" on the filter (in bigger letters than "Magnefine").

Pics from the install:

Old 03-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by bismic
I just installed my filter (pics below). My Power Steering pump resevoir configuration was a little different than in your pictures. I also did not flush the system before install. Probably should have, but I only have 43k miles on the truck, so I figured it shouldn't be loaded down with solids yet. Probably will do a flush / fluid replacement in 20k miles. I bought two filters, so I am ready to go w/ a new installation at any time. I was surprised to see the brand name "Raybestos" on the filter (in bigger letters than "Magnefine").

Pics from the install:

Looks good... I assume the difference is because you have a different model year 6.0L truck? Or is that a 7.3L?

Magnefine makes it for many different brand names as they are used for transmissions and power-steering systems of all makes and models and different companies have them made with their own logos.

Same filter however.

Looks good.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:09 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My set up is the same as yours Bismic. The only diff. in my install is that I added a 4" hose to the hydroboost unit and did not cut my factory hose. That way, since I am still under bumper to bumper warranty, if I have any power steering issues I can pull the filter and return to stock with original hose. This is not a performance mod but you never know what a dealer will turn down for warranty purposes. Secondly, yes, the hydroboost unit does put power steering fluid thru the unit when the brakes are applied. That is how I flushed mine, by just applying the brake pedal with a drain hose from the hydro unit to a 1/2 gallon jug. About 1 qt. per min. was the flow while pumping the brakes slowly.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
skoveng
Senior User
I flushed the power steering fluid and installed the filter this weekend in my '03 F250.

I followed the suggestions of the guys here on FTE to use the hydro-boost return instead of the steering box return line as instructed in the Ford Manual.

I did turn the wheel from lock-to-lock several times during the procedure to ensure I pushed the old fluid from down in the steering box. I used a total of 6 qt. for the flush.

The only difference is where I installed the filter. After actually seeing how little fluid is returned from the hydro-boost when the brakes are pushed, I deceided to install the filter in the steering box return line. I figure I turn more often then I stop, and the amount of fluid moving thru the box is way more then the hydro-boost. Also the mechanical wear from the steering box will put the most junk into the fluid.

A picture of the filter install is below.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Great installs guys...

Guess I have learned something new....

When I installed my unit a year ago, I was told that fluid was always moving through the hydraboost return line at all times and the reason why I choose it (due to ease of installation). Now I may need to rethink how I have installed it and either add another filter to the steering box return line or remove the one I have and re-position it to the gear box return line???

By flushing and using new fluid, I figure that between that and the filter I'm a whole lot better off anyways.

At least now when I am stuck at a light or in traffic... I will now know this is when I am filtering my P/S fluid!!!!! I may have to drive in city traffic and use my brakes more often now (ha, ha).

Old 03-08-2009, 06:35 PM
skoveng
Senior User
I had no idea what to expect when flushing the system using the hydro-boost. I purchased 5' of 3/8" fuel line and routed it into the top of an old milk jug. I placed the jug onto of my 2nd battery and watch the fluid flow through the gap between the hood (when up) and the cowl. The fluid actually flowed when the brake pedel was released, not when pushed. It seamed to let out a pre-determined amount of fluid each time; likly based the the accumulator volume in the hydro-boost. I know that the hydro-boost will permit two brake applications if the power steering pump is lost (system failure or if the engine would die).

I was thinking that maybe the flow from the steering box return would be too much for the filter. But I figured the filter should be able to handle the max flow that would be allowed by the 3/8" line size. I've had it out a few times and everying is fine.

Quick Reply: Power steering flush