Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help Needed!........ UVCH?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Bergerson
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help Needed!........ UVCH?'s

On my way home today the truck fell on its face...lost power and hardly would run, I pulled codes and got 1316, so I cleared code and truck took off again, for about twenty feet, then did it again, and again, then the code would not clear... and kept running like crap, so i limped it home and after looking things over I pulled driverside uvch plug and truck died, so i pluged it back in and started the truck again, then pulled pass. side plug and truck ran the same... Like crap... so I figured the UVCH had come loose or unpluged, I just got done pulling the VC and its plugged in all the way??? Now what? I looked for chafed wires on driverside harness ontop of VC and all looked good, i started truck and shook,pulled,pushed and pried on all wires and harness's to no avail.. still 1316 and runs like crap, passanger side injectors are not firing.. any idea's anyone?

Old 02-14-2009, 09:37 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Do you have an ohm meter? You need to unplug the connector and ohm the injector pins against the center common pin and take the readings. Sounds like you've got a bad injector solenoid that has caused the whole bank to shut down. Front 2 pins are glow plugs, and the back 2 pins are glow plugs. Check the 3rd, 4th, 6th, & 7th pin against the center 5th pin and write down the readings. You're looking for one injector to read about 0.6 or 0/7 ohms lower than the other 3.

You can verify that the entire bank is shut down by starting the truck with the valve cover off. If the bank is down, none of the injectors will discharge any oil since the IDM has gone into some sort of fail safe mode. If you unplug the injector with the bad reading, the other 3 will usually start firing again and the miss in the engine will be much less severe.

If it's a bad solenoid, that usually means just replace the injector unless DPP can get you just a solenoid.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Bergerson
I just got done pulling the VC and its plugged in all the way??? Now what?
Both harnesses on my Excursion looked to be plugged in too, but I decided to "throw parts at the problem" because UVC clips are cheap, plus I suck at anything electrical, and I would have had to ask a buddy, who charges for all his help, to check the electrical for me.

So, before I asked him to check the stuff like Chris is talking about, I bought these bad boys,
UVC clips <~~clicky-clicky, Ford Part number: 2C3Z-14A163-AB, and with the help of another buddy, installed them on both banks of my Ex.

That solved the problem for me!

Stewart

Old 02-14-2009, 10:48 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yep,, sounds like the famous 9 pin plastic UVC piece of junk connector/s have come loose.. See my gallery pic's .. You can also make a shim from a 25 cent coin and slip it behind the locking taps ( keeps them from warping and allowing the connector to separate.. ) You can reuse the valve cover gaskets, so the total cost is only 50 cents.. not bad.. just your labor..

Old 02-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Bergerson
Elder User
Thank you.. I ohmed pins 3,4,6,7 against pin 5 and got 3.2, 3.1, 3.2, 3.1 I am at my wits end here.. I need the truck tomorrow for work... any other ideas?

Old 02-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Bergerson
Elder User
I just pulled the IDM and replaced it with a known good one that I had, no go, same results

Old 02-14-2009, 11:28 PM
05chop
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose you checked the wiring in and out of the IDM to the injectors.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:37 PM
05chop
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about doing a buzz test this will tell you something!

Old 02-15-2009, 01:09 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Thank you.. I ohmed pins 3,4,6,7 against pin 5 and got 3.2, 3.1, 3.2, 3.1 I am at my wits end here.. I need the truck tomorrow for work... any other ideas?
Did you shim the harness plugs as described in post #3 and 4? Some have even found a zip tie with the correct thickness and used the tie as the shim.

Stewart

Old 02-15-2009, 01:14 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Subscribing

Old 02-15-2009, 01:25 AM
Bergerson
Elder User
yes they both are shimed, I am at a loss as to what is causing this, It did this yesterday two times, had a hickup under acceleration, then went away, I went over every inch of wire harnesses looking for chafed wires and I cant find any, I changed the IDM, pulled the PCM, ohmed all 8 injectors and ohmed the 42pin to the two 9pin plug, all wires ohmed out good as well as the injectors.... I am at a loss here as what to look for next, maybe it is a bad solenoid, but wouldnt it ohm out differently than the others?

PS this is how not to remove the oil dipstick tube:

took me 10 min. to get my socket and extension unwraped from that mess,

Well guys, thank you for all of your help tonight, I will have to miss working tomorrow and fix this thing, any more input is greatly appreciated!! I am heading to bed to get an early start in the am. Thank you in advance for all the help!

Bryan

Old 02-15-2009, 01:45 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
yes they both are shimed, I am at a loss as to what is causing this, It did this yesterday two times, had a hickup under acceleration, then went away
Damn, with the hiccup, I'd say it might also be the CPS, but you can get one bank running.

PS this is how not to remove the oil dipstick tube:

took me 10 min. to get my socket and extension unwraped from that mess

Bryan
Arghghghgh!!

I feel for ya, bro.

Stewart

Old 02-15-2009, 01:50 AM
Bergerson
Elder User
I think the driverside is running, If i unplug the driverside the truck dies, if i unplug the pass side, it stays running... like crap, maybe a little worse.... but still keeps running..

Old 02-15-2009, 08:32 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The ohm readings look good. Go ahead and ohm the pass through connector on the valve cover (outside to inside) to make sure there's not an issue with one of the pins being broke (wiggle it around with the test leads)

I assume you have unplugged and re-plugged the connector a couple of times to rule out a loose plug issue. Have you started the truck with the valve cover off to visually check for oil discharge at each injector? I'd consider unplugging the injectors one at a time to see how the engine changes and the other injectors react when one is unplugged.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Bergerson
Elder User
will do now, thank you

Note: I can clear the code with the key on, it will fire right up for about 3-5 seconds, until the ses light and 1316 comes on and then it drops ? 2-4 cyls and wont run....

Quick Reply: Help Needed!........ UVCH?'s