Sponsored by: DP Tuner

CCV "mod" causing back pressure...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:06 AM
stroken
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CCV "mod" causing back pressure...

I have one CCV off of the driverside VC. I never did one in the Passangerside filler neck like most guys. My H2E kit for my k31, the oil feed line was leaking oil, so I got a longer hose ran it down right near the oil filter and took that plug out there, but the start of the oil feed line there and took that plug and put it where the line use to be on the pedistal. Well that worked and no more oil leak.

But I did notice that my CCV hose was off the VC...I left it off, started truck no leaks what so ever, but the hose back on and within 2 minutes the oil return like was leaking, but it was being pushed UP out of the pedistal like it had pressure behind it, otherwise it would have leaked between the pedistal and the block. (says Kris) I wasnt smart enough to think of that. So I brakleened it while it was running took CCV hose off and no leak.

The CCV hose is just a hose that is about 4 feet long that lets out infront of the front door, We blew the hose out wasnt clogged or anything, no kinks to cause restriction.

Does anyone know why a free flowing breather like the CCV is causing back pressure and causing the oil to come out of the oil return line?

SOrry this post was long, I just wanted to try and explain all the little details that may make a difference.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's a quick homemade test. With the truck running pop off the oil fill cap, turn it upside down and set it on top of the oil fill tube. If the oil fill cap blows off the top of the fill tube, you have too much blowby. Check it with and without the CCV tube hooked up and see what happens.

IH trucks vent to open atmosphere, so under normal conditions you shouldn't have issues with venting like your setup is. The only reasons for problems would be a blocked or kinked tube, or excessive blowby.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:16 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wished i could help Kenny but i never heard of this unless the hose was restricted, subscribing and good luck, bump....

Old 02-14-2009, 09:19 AM
stroken
Posting Guru
Well, I do not have an oil filler neck, just the cap into the VC, can I just set the cab on the VC? or could not having the neck be an issue?

Because I am a dummy - Too much blowby, I am guessing air? what causes this?

Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blow-by is the pressure in the combustion chamber "blowing by" the piston rings into the crankcase. Not good, nor is it an easy fix.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:45 AM
stroken
Posting Guru
the motor is brand new! new rings pistons machined work and everything! I have horrible luck with this damn truck!

Old 02-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by stroken
the motor is brand new! new rings pistons machined work and everything! I have horrible luck with this damn truck!
I've seen two engines now that were brand new and had low compression and a ton of blowby. So unfortunately it can happen. But let's not assume the worst just yet.

If you can set the fill cap on the valve cover, then that test should work too. There should be blowby present on a perfectly healthy engine, but it shouldn't be chugging like a freight train, and it shouldn't be enough to knock off an oil fill cap.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:53 AM
stroken
Posting Guru
Okay, my trans is toasted in my truck so my truck is actually sitting in Kris myers shop waiting for me to pull the trans tomorrow. I will try and get over there today and try it, with the injectors it romps like crazy, just the injectors alone may knock the cap off! lol

Old 02-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
with the injectors it romps like crazy
What tuning are you running? It shouldn't idle rough if it's tuned right.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:20 AM
stroken
Posting Guru
Thats the problem. DP tuner. I get my swamps chip on the way home from BTS next week.

I was told its because theyre single shots is why it idles like it does.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by stroken
Thats the problem. DP tuner. I get my swamps chip on the way home from BTS next week.

I was told its because theyre single shots is why it idles like it does.
That's odd.

Singles only idle louder, not rougher, as long as the tuning is matched for the injectors. If Jody flashed your chip for singles and it still idles rough, you might need to talk to him. Maybe he has the wrong specs on your injectors. It happens sometimes.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:43 AM
stroken
Posting Guru
he did reflash it when i did the motor build, i am trying swamps tuning next week anyways.....Maybe thats why my truck isnt what every one expected it to be....

Old 02-14-2009, 10:52 AM
05chop
Elder User
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Blow-by is the pressure in the combustion chamber "blowing by" the piston rings into the crankcase. Not good, nor is it an easy fix.
Izzy like stroken said its a brand new engine shouldn't have blowby Well one thing you could try is isolate the turbo or remove it and plug the oil ports.I have seen where the exhaust gases have gone by the turbo seal and caused what you have described here. Think about it first before you tell me im full of it.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:53 AM
stroken
Posting Guru
i know that k31 is hugeeee!!!!!!! and is a pain to take in and out.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:39 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
First off Joe was only describing what blow-by is and second a new engine will have increased blow-by until the rings seat. If the engine is freshly rebuilt the cylinder finish and the ring material will dictate how long it takes for the rings to seat in, this will also be determined by other factorys but the above make the most difference. Obviously if the tunning is off it will cause problems and delay or prevent the rings from seating, i.e. cylinder wash down. I would make sure all things are dialed in correctly before running this thing to much to avoid additional problems and the added work of pulling it again.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: CCV "mod" causing back pressure...