1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

1999 cab with 2003 7700 running gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Hit By Thunder
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 cab with 2003 7700 running gear

Hey everyone, haven't been on here in a long time. Some may remember me but most won't, anywho,

A little history

I recently bought a Salvage title 99/2003 F150 for the engine for my 2001 7700. Mine has a misfire code that is always copming up and now runs really bad even stalls out at times. The truck sits parked til I either change the engine or sell. The second thought just kills me. I have modded the truck over the years. Seems kinda cool when a guy comes up and asks "when did Ford make a Harley 4X4 in this color?" (arizona beige)

So here is my situation,

I bought this 99/03 F150 for the motor and drove it home. The 03 running gear is MINT with 39500 km's and the cab is from a 4.2 2WD. the truck is all one color Blue with the gold bottom. It is a loaded Lariat. Here the thing, I drove it home and everything works perfect. I paid $2500 for the whole truck cause the guy tried to insure it after spending $4500 fixing it, turns out the cab is a DNR ( Do Not Repair). The guy unable to insure it sold it as a parts truck. The truck in MINT!!!!! and with 39500kms it is tight and no wind noise. It is going to be ashame to tear it apart.

I talked to my insurance company and he said it should be no problem insuring it as long as it passes the inspection. I told him about the DNR VIN and he said it has to pass a Government Inspection. If it passes, the truck will get a new VIN.

The truck goes in a Saturday, we will see what happens

OK now for my question, thanks for following along.

I have been digging through numerous site and goggling everything I can. The trucks speedo is not working I get the codes

P0500
P1000
P1502
P1728

I know it has to do with the VSS, Rear ABS sensor the DTR sensor.

I found the fuse was not in place in #5 (the Speed control Module/Reverse Lights/Climate Mode Switch/Daytime Running Lights Relay and the DTR Sensor. I reinstalled the fuse and put the truck on jackstands. Started the truck and still no speedo. I can't drive the truck as there is no insurance on it. I would love to get the speedo working before the inspection.

Thanks for following along and ANY help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Guys and girls :thumbsup

I reprogrammed the Keyfob as the other owner said there was something wrong with it. All dash lights light in a self dianostic test. Like I said the truck is MINT!!!!!!

\/\/\/\/\/\/ and this is my 2001 7700 baby \/\/\/\/\/\/

Rob/HBT :wave

Old 01-28-2009, 08:53 PM
2002 F350V10
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suggest you check for vin numbers prior to anything else. The cab is one vin and the frame /running gear is another. If you can run the running gear vin and be absolutely sure the vin has not been reported as stolen. There are ways to convert the salvage title into a rebuilt title in some states, but I am unsure about Canada. It would require an inspection where all confidential vins are checked to make sure absolutely nothing came from a stolen vehicle along with reciepts documenting the repairs.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Hit By Thunder
Freshman User
I did grab so part numbers from the running gear (Tranny and Cruise) but where do I find the VIN for the frame?

There are ways to convert the salvage title into a rebuilt title in some states, but I am unsure about Canada.

Yes they (the government) will issue a new VIN if the truck passes the inspection. This would make it recertified and cleared for insurance

I do not have any receipts for any repairs as I did buy it for parts but it is just way too good a truck to part out.

If it does not pass the inspection, I do have a great engine plus all the lariat goodies my XLT doasn't have.

BTW Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it

Old 01-31-2009, 01:12 PM
Hit By Thunder
Freshman User
ok, so here is the update thus far as of Saturday AM

I got an "In Transit" sticker to take it for the inspection. They were busy and when the guy asked what he could do for me. After I told him, he said that he did not do salvage inspections anymore. He referred me to a good friend of his and said to mention his name and his friend would help me out

called him, NOPE!!!! don't do those inspections anymore,..........hmmmmmmmmm but he did refer me to another inspection place.

went to the 3rd place today and the owner was very very helpful. He was busy today and if I was to leave the truck there til 4PM he "may" get to it. This wasn't good for me and I did not want to pressure him. He was wanting to inspect the truck as it is in "perfect shape". He also mentioned he is going to talk to his recertifing friend and see what he thinks as the VIN has a DNR (Do Not Repair) I showed him the cab is all that was used and the running gear is from an 03 according to all the part numbers I have from under the truck.

for those who are wondering, the cab and the frame should stay together as one unit so if the VIN is a DNR the remaining parts can be sold as parts/salvage. Installing a cab that has a DNR is a long road of headaches. According to the guy who wants to help me out and sort the truck out once and forall.

I have to call the gentleman Monday afternoon as to whether the resigned VIN is a go or not.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:44 PM
2002 F350V10
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vin is usually on top of the frame rail under passenger front seat area, you look from underneath with a mirror between floorboards and frame. There is usually one on right side of top frame rail between the 2 forward bed bolts. then the engine and trans should also have vins. Then the cab usually has one around the cowl to windshield area. possibly hidden by the dash. Other times you remove the outside cowl cover.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Hit By Thunder
Freshman User
Thanks again 2002F350V10, for pointing me in the direction of the frame VIN. I will look tomorrow to see if I can see and read it with the mirror.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Hit By Thunder
Freshman User
oh boy new can of worms,....

well I went out to the garage and figured I would check the wires inside the shifter to see if they were frayed. Well when I took the upper and lower steering column trims off, the taped key to the PATS system feel to the floor, no problem, I'll put it back when I go to start the truck. Used an ohm meter to be sure there were no breaks in the wires and shorting from one wire to the other. All is good put it all back together, try and start the truck (with the non chipped key & the once taped key on the floor still) and the truck won't even turn over. Now the factory remote start with the PATS bypass kit has a flashing LED, google that and find the system is now armed. With no way to disarm the truck would not even turn over. Googled more,... have to remove the remote start. So the remote start is discontected, no big deal as I do not have the keyfob for the remote start anyhow. Go to start the truck, it turns over but no start. put my tuner on and pull the codes,..... THE DREADED 1260 code of death. Theft light in instrument cluster is flashing like it is on steroids. Live it in the on/run position for 30 seconds and the flashing slows to a code 2 flashes then 1 and keeps repeating itself with a no start.

don't you just love the PATS

oh haven't looked for the VIN on the frame as this is not as important right now :lol

Old 02-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Hit By Thunder
Freshman User
****Holy cow, I cleared my 1260 code, I cleared my 1260 code. ****

Hope my excitement travels into my typing. I did alot of digging/googling, (since my last post) and just tried a reprogram of the keys. I only have one key, and the truck started right up after the programming and continued to run.

Ford says you need 2 keys, good question though,.....how does the ignition know you only have 1 if the encypted key/keys are the same??????

Now to get it back together

Old 10-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Hit By Thunder
Freshman User
well update,....

truck was seized as it was stolen, too good to be true I guess worst part is. I am out the money, the isurance company sent the truck to the auction.

sure pays to be honest don't it

have since bought a 2001 XLT supercab 4X4 shortbox roll-over with 135000 km's for $1200. Get this, it has the same P1260 code to deal with. It has a remote start and no keyfob (sound familiar ) and the truck does not turn over.

This weekend hopefully can play a little and remove the remote start and use the blank key to start.

HBT

Last edited by Hit By Thunder; 10-27-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 11-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Hit By Thunder
Freshman User
Update,....

well I got the rollover truck running by erasing the p1260 code. sure runs smooth. I am in the process of stripping the body off this one (2001 white one) and going to put my 2001 body on this running gear.

As for the stolen one, It is sitting at the auction and I am dealing with the Insurance company and hamming out details. Chances are, I will be buying it back. Someone stole the VIN off the truck after it left my yard. and they only own the frame, tranny, and engine, Lawyer says the body is mine as I have photo proof of the Vin that was on there.