Connecticut Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

CT Member Introductions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 07:11 PM
jbehuniak
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The mildew will happen if it sits for three years in the woods. I just got the transfer case then gotta bolt everything down hook up the clutch linkage the drive shafts oil in the engine take it for a test drive

Old 01-08-2016, 05:22 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum. Looks like a good project. 78 nice year to work on and there are people here that have lots of info if needed.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:18 AM
'75HB250
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jbehuniak
I put a new carb, intake manifold and clutch in it last week, hoping to tackle the transfer case tonight after work (30 min left woohoo) Hope to register it tomorrow and get some firewood on Saturday.
Welcome!

What was wrong with the transfer case? Looks like you've got manual hubs on there, so I am going to assume its a 205.

Nice rig; I just sold my '75 a couple months ago. Couldn't drive it anywhere without (2) things happening. (1) stopping at a gas station. (2) at least 2 or 3 folks asking where I found one so clean, what year it was, engine, etc, etc.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:22 AM
jbehuniak
Elder User
I changed the clutch. It's 351M edelbrock performer manifold edelbrock 600cfm 4bbl NP 4speed 205 transfer case 4:10 or 11. Looking for a trac-lock rear carrier and a full spool for the front end.
Next project is wiring and floors

Old 01-08-2016, 07:01 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome.

Wow!! Sweet!
That's a Connecticut truck?? The reason I ask is that I had a '77 F-250 4x4 and by 1990 is was soooooo badly rusted out that we junked it.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:05 PM
jbehuniak
Elder User
I don't know where it lived its whole life. When I got back from overseas I had a hard on for a High Boy, always wanted one. I didn't do my HW and saw this truck near Bradley Airport where my NG unit is at. I think I paid $2000 for it and drove it home. It was on one of the side streets from 175 to I91 near Camp Hartel. I drove it home it acted pretty strange would stall out randomly. Replaced the radiator put a new fuel filter on it, new distributor plugs a solid tune up, re-timed it and it still was miserable. Got the chance to go to Ft. Rucker AL to become a Blackhawk pilot, went down there parked the truck while I was gone. Came home didn't touch it for a year, sold my powerstroke and started tinkering with the white truck. Realized the brake booster was gone, diaphragm was torn. Replaced it with a F350 booster and M/C, new calipers. It ran a little better without that vacuum leak. The 2bbl carb has excessive shaft play on the throttle plate and was leaking fuel out of that housing. Descided to replace the carb. Drove it from Worcester MA and clutch was slipping like crazy last week I dropped the xfercase slid the trans back put a new clutch in. Last night I put the transfercase in and tonight I will finish the install.
It doesn't have much rot on it at all. Needs floors in the cab. The bed has diamond plate for the center, it looks like the guy put new fenders and bed sides on it. He did some crazy job on the cab floor with angle iron from Home Depot for supports, not sure if I will ever be able to fix it to factory, but I can beef it up so it doesn't look off. Wiring is a complete mess. My ex brotherinlaw tried to fix some of the stuff while I was down south but made it worse. The dash is a complete mess, none of the dash lights work, the only gauges that work are the speedo and volt meter. I keep 10gal in the bed at all times when I drive it.
Plans are to fix wiring, patch the cab floors, 38gal tank, a radio, soundproofing when the floors are done right, recover seat (possible seat heaters) and just enjoy it until I get all my summer chores done. Then pull bed off POR15 the rear parts of the truck reinstall and drive it some more.

From my knowledge these trucks didn't rust as bad as dodge or chevy because of the inner fenders were galvanized and they did a pretty good job with paint. I could be wrong.
Its not registered in CT yet, tomorrow instead of going to the Somers Steel Plate shoot I will be inline at the RMV to get it on the road. I need more firewood ASAP. Time to go to my buddies barn and get some of that wood I cut last year.

Trucks given me a small handful of issues. The third time driving it the rear end pinion gear broke, so the front and rear have new 4:11s in it. It was bone dry, I guess from it sitting in the guys yard for so long it all leaked out the cover, it was rusted through.
The gas gauge doesn't work, I was on a date snowboarding and it ran out of gas, I filled it up 80 miles prior. I also learned that the heat didn't work that day, she was pissed. Radiator blew out a core on the masspike on my way to upstate NY. Dad fell a tree on the hood by accident, it has a small dent on the hood, that thing is pretty strong lol. When I went to get it out of the woods a few months ago the fuel pump was bad, replaced that and the clutch was rusted to the flywheel. Finalllllly got it out of the woods and here I am.
Oh and I need to replace a small section of fuel line now, no big deal.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:48 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know where it lived its whole life. When I got back from overseas I had a hard on for a High Boy, always wanted one. I didn't do my HW and saw this truck near Bradley Airport where my NG unit is at. I think I paid $2000 for it and drove it home. It was on one of the side streets from 175 to I91 near Camp Hartel. I drove it home it acted pretty strange would stall out randomly. Replaced the radiator put a new fuel filter on it, new distributor plugs a solid tune up, re-timed it and it still was miserable. Got the chance to go to Ft. Rucker AL to become a Blackhawk pilot, went down there parked the truck while I was gone. Came home didn't touch it for a year, sold my powerstroke and started tinkering with the white truck. Realized the brake booster was gone, diaphragm was torn. Replaced it with a F350 booster and M/C, new calipers. It ran a little better without that vacuum leak. The 2bbl carb has excessive shaft play on the throttle plate and was leaking fuel out of that housing. Descided to replace the carb. Drove it from Worcester MA and clutch was slipping like crazy last week I dropped the xfercase slid the trans back put a new clutch in. Last night I put the transfercase in and tonight I will finish the install.
It doesn't have much rot on it at all. Needs floors in the cab. The bed has diamond plate for the center, it looks like the guy put new fenders and bed sides on it. He did some crazy job on the cab floor with angle iron from Home Depot for supports, not sure if I will ever be able to fix it to factory, but I can beef it up so it doesn't look off. Wiring is a complete mess. My ex brotherinlaw tried to fix some of the stuff while I was down south but made it worse. The dash is a complete mess, none of the dash lights work, the only gauges that work are the speedo and volt meter. I keep 10gal in the bed at all times when I drive it.
Plans are to fix wiring, patch the cab floors, 38gal tank, a radio, soundproofing when the floors are done right, recover seat (possible seat heaters) and just enjoy it until I get all my summer chores done. Then pull bed off POR15 the rear parts of the truck reinstall and drive it some more.

From my knowledge these trucks didn't rust as bad as dodge or chevy because of the inner fenders were galvanized and they did a pretty good job with paint. I could be wrong.
Its not registered in CT yet, tomorrow instead of going to the Somers Steel Plate shoot I will be inline at the RMV to get it on the road. I need more firewood ASAP. Time to go to my buddies barn and get some of that wood I cut last year.

Trucks given me a small handful of issues. The third time driving it the rear end pinion gear broke, so the front and rear have new 4:11s in it. It was bone dry, I guess from it sitting in the guys yard for so long it all leaked out the cover, it was rusted through.
The gas gauge doesn't work, I was on a date snowboarding and it ran out of gas, I filled it up 80 miles prior. I also learned that the heat didn't work that day, she was pissed. Radiator blew out a core on the masspike on my way to upstate NY. Dad fell a tree on the hood by accident, it has a small dent on the hood, that thing is pretty strong lol. When I went to get it out of the woods a few months ago the fuel pump was bad, replaced that and the clutch was rusted to the flywheel. Finalllllly got it out of the woods and here I am.
Oh and I need to replace a small section of fuel line now, no big deal.
That's a pretty serious list, and it sounds like the previous owner had minimal idea what he was doing with it. Always sad to see. Sounds like you're doing a good job getting things sorted out though.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:37 PM
jbehuniak
Elder User
Good job is a relative term haha. Getting the truck safe for now.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:49 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Good job is a relative term haha. Getting the truck safe for now.
That's the reason I junked mine. Three of us were in the truck one day, we hit a good bump and suddenly the seat was loose and crooked. One of the seat supports had broken through the floor and we could see the road under the passenger side.

Gave the truck a serious going over and realized that the floorboards were just the tip of the iceberg. I didn't have the time/money to make it right and didn't want any liability if I sold it to anyone else....

Good luck getting your's repaired and registered.

Last edited by RightWingNutJob; 01-11-2016 at 07:50 AM. Reason: sp
Old 07-26-2017, 01:52 PM
Wayneusa
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford handicap van

Hello, My name is Wayne, from the greater Danbury area. I am quadriplegic with a highly modified 1991 Ford e150 with about 78,000 miles on it. The van has an electrical/electronic issue that needs to be solved and repaired. I am hoping there is someone on this furum willing to help. The van has been modified in part using Electronic Mobility Corporation equipment. The van in the past 6 months has gone through 4 starters, and 2 solenoids. I think the problem may be the tactile switch for the "start" push button, or a relay for it, or could the batteries have too many amps?

One day I went to start the van and it would not start. Had it towed to a shop (shop A)for repairs. Got it back 1 starter, minor rear brake and exhaust repair and $850 later. That sum also covered the cost to replace a roller chain in the modified steering that the tow truck driver broke.

Not long after I suspected a charging issue. Brought the van back to the same shop (shop A), 45 minutes of labor, 1 alternator, 1 serpentine belt, and $480 later I was back on the road.

This did not solve all the charging problems so I bought 3 new batteries. For the isolated auxiliary backup battery I went with a standard lead acid starting/deep cycle. For the main starting battery, to help support all of the electronics, I went with an Optima yellow top. There is also a battery in parallel with the starting battery in the back cabin of the van for my cb radio, small 12v fan, phone chargers, etc:. Having read that it is best to use two of the same type, size, and age batteries for parallel applications, and also not having to have concerns over sulfuric acid vapors in the cabin, I put an Optima yellow top in the back.

All was good... for about two weeks. I was out visiting my mother when I started the van and the starter remained engaged, and the engine's RPM's were higher than normal. I turned the ignition and system off, but the starter would not stop engaging nor did the engine stop running. I turned the ignition back on and the engine's RPM's picked back up. Again I turned the ignition and system off, and again the starter stayed engaged and the engine continued to run. So my sister's husband came out to disconnect the battery.

Sent the van to a shop (shop B) closer to van location where they said the first shop (shop A) put in a cheap starter. Shop B put in a Ford reman, $200 (they cut me a break).

I took the van off the lot, stopped at the bank, then my mother's. Went to leave my mother's. When I started the van, again the starter remained engaged and the engine continued to run. Again I turned the ignition and system off, and again the starter stayed engaged and the engine continued to run. So my sister's husband again came out to disconnect the battery, but not before the wiring by the battery caught on fire.

Sent the van back to shop B where they replaced the solenoid and replaced wiring in the engine compartment. They also replaced the wires going to the battery in the back with heavier gauge wire than the 8 AWG that was there. $980 latter, I took the van off the lot.

From the lot I drove the van to the bank, to my mothers house, and then to the nursing home in which I reside. The next day when I went to leave, I started the van but again, the starter remained engaged, though this time when I depressed the ignition button the engine stopped running, but the starter did not. There was no one there to disconnect the battery so the starter continued to engage until it burned itself and the solenoid out.

A cousin put in a new solenoid, that's as far as he got. Sent the van to the local Ford dealership (shop C), informing them of recent events, asked them to test from solenoid back to ignition, (they did not),also to do a starter draw and voltage drop test. They put in a new reman starter, performed an amp draw test, said amp draw was within specs. $480 latter I took the van off the lot.

Went to my mothers, from there went back to the nursing home. The next day, on my way to my mothers, I stopped at the mall which is on the way. Went to leave
the mall, I started the van but again, the starter remained engaged. I depressed the ignition button the engine stopped running, but the starter did not. There was a gentleman heading into the mall who looked capable, I asked him to disconnect the battery, and he was kind enough to do so. It was a Sunday so I had the van towed back to the Ford dealer (shop C). When the driver showed up for the tow, he reconnected the battery and the starter immediately engaged. I asked him to disconnect the battery, press the ignition and starter switches a couple of times and reconnect the battery. He did, and the starter was no longer engaging. He was able to start the van to get it on the flatbed.

Called the Ford dealer (shop C) on Monday, they said that they could not do anything for me, so I had the van towed too my mothers house where it remains. So far between repairs, towing, and having to pay for a chair car "ambulance back to the nursing home when stranded, this ordeal has cost over $3,700, and the nursing home takes all but a $60 stipend from my social security income. The replacement cost of a new modified van is around the $120,000 mark, so that's out of the question. If there is anyone out there that thinks they can help get the van running properly, please contact me. It is no fun spending day and night everyday in a nursing home.

Thank for taking the time to read,

Wayne

Old 10-19-2017, 12:37 AM
martee31
5th Wheeling
Hi everyone, Eric's the name and I was one of those "use this website to gain all my knowledge on these trucks, but never post type of guy"... Grew up in RI but moved to Griswold CT about 2yrs ago. Bought my first Excursion 2001 back in 2010, treated her good and kept up all the work and my wife loved it... Now its up for sale because I got my wife an 05 diesel ex and wow what a difference a few years made...

I work at EB in Groton building subs and have been with EB for about 15 years...

Old 10-19-2017, 06:11 AM
gbroehl1
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome. Feel free to join us over in the monthly BS thread.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:40 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Welcome to the group, Eric. It's looking more and more like we need to try to plan a gtg soon with a couple new guys.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:20 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Welcome Eric, hope to see you in here time to time.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:16 AM
Rob495
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys! New guy here. Just picked up an f250 a week ago. Love this truck! The forum is great, learned a ton of stuff so far.

Rob

Quick Reply: CT Member Introductions