Wyoming Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: coolbeans

January BS Thread...Let it fly!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:42 AM
swann79
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have a Kimber .45 ACP Miles, a stainless Ultra Carry II. I just learned how well Kimber stands behind their products. About a year and a half ago, I bought the gun used from Rocky Mountain Sports. I thought it shot OK, considering it only has a 3" barrel. I cooked up some hot loads for it last summer, first mag through it broke the external extractor. After striking out trying to find parts for it, I went back to Rocky Mountain (they are a Kimber dealer) to see if they could order a new extractor and a new spring kit, just to refurbish the gun while I was at it. They suggested I let them send the gun back to Kimber, as they have a lifetime warranty on all their guns, regardless whether bought new or used. Sounded good to me, so I did it.

It was shipped to Kimber in September... come December my gun still wasn't returned and I was getting worried. A quick phone call to Kimber revealed that after replacing the extractor and springs, they test-fired it and didn't like the accuracy or the way the pistol was cycling. They determined it had a bad slide. The slide has your serial numbers stamped on it, so they had to mill a brand new one from scratch and stamp my numbers on it. They did this on their own volition without even talking to me.

Just got the gun back a week ago... all told, I got a brand new updated slide with an INTERNAL extractor... factory adjustments to the whole gun... and new springs. All it cost me was $44 for the springs. The gun shoots much, much better than before!

I will never hesitate to buy another Kimber. You do get what you pay for!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:47 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Wow. Now that's how companies should back there products. Never owned a Kimber. I've been thinking about getting a .45, so I'll keep this in mind Scott!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 AM
BIGKEN
Received 7,108 Likes on 4,191 Posts
Morning Wyoming...Happy Hump Day!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:06 AM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by swann79
Miles, I started a year ago with an RCBS starter kit from Wal-Mart, maybe $250? It will contain every thing you need to get started, though you might want to add/upgrade things as you learn how to do it and money allows. This kit contains a high quality press (most important) and has served me well. I load for the .45 ACP, as well as the .454 Casull, .44 Mag, .30-30, .30-06, .308, and .243. You really can't go wrong with any of the brand-name products out there, although the more money you spend the higher quality the materials. I think Lee is about the cheapest... followed by RCBS, Hornady and Redding. I've enjoyed myself so much that I'm fixing to get into shotshell reloading as well.
Thanks for the recommendations Scott. I have a perfect little room downstairs that will fit a good size table for all the equipment. I am hoping to start with some good loads for my 22-250 to knock down some coyotes and then some 45 ACP for plinking and home security. Sounds like you have quite a selection of firearms.

Originally Posted by swann79
I too have a Kimber .45 ACP Miles, a stainless Ultra Carry II. I just learned how well Kimber stands behind their products. About a year and a half ago, I bought the gun used from Rocky Mountain Sports. I thought it shot OK, considering it only has a 3" barrel. I cooked up some hot loads for it last summer, first mag through it broke the external extractor. After striking out trying to find parts for it, I went back to Rocky Mountain (they are a Kimber dealer) to see if they could order a new extractor and a new spring kit, just to refurbish the gun while I was at it. They suggested I let them send the gun back to Kimber, as they have a lifetime warranty on all their guns, regardless whether bought new or used. Sounded good to me, so I did it.

It was shipped to Kimber in September... come December my gun still wasn't returned and I was getting worried. A quick phone call to Kimber revealed that after replacing the extractor and springs, they test-fired it and didn't like the accuracy or the way the pistol was cycling. They determined it had a bad slide. The slide has your serial numbers stamped on it, so they had to mill a brand new one from scratch and stamp my numbers on it. They did this on their own volition without even talking to me.

Just got the gun back a week ago... all told, I got a brand new updated slide with an INTERNAL extractor... factory adjustments to the whole gun... and new springs. All it cost me was $44 for the springs. The gun shoots much, much better than before!

I will never hesitate to buy another Kimber. You do get what you pay for!
That is a great story Scott. I bought my Kimber because I liked the Stainless frame with the black slide. i had no idea they had that kind of warranty.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Orin Martin
Posting Guru
Morning Pat, Scott, and all others to come through this way, We seem to be getting that much looked upon snow today, as it just started 15 min ago here at the ranch. Did my chores and making a run for Cheyenne to get a few things and then it can do what ever it wants. I shall be prepared.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 AM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
no snow here yet orin. dark and overcast but not snow.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Orin Martin
Posting Guru
Good frosty morning every one. Every thing is is a nice frosty white winter wonderland today with a nice 18F here at the ranch. I have been under the weather (no pun intended) these past two days with either a flue and or a bad toothe at first guess. I don't get sick often but when I do I make it good. I think I will get in plenty of quality computer time today as except for most needed things to be done I shall be here.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Orin Martin
Posting Guru
If this is a flu I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:31 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Good Morning Orin, Miles, Scott, Michelle, and the rest of the Wyoming crew! Orin, I hope you get to feeling better, I hate being sick! It's a balmy -14 here this morning. I'm thinking the state of Nebraska has shifted itself into the artic circle without anyone realizing it!!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Orin Martin
Posting Guru
Pat, that is almost cool enough to take your breath away and I thought I had some thing to complain about.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:10 AM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Good morning guys. the tally this morning is morning - 1, miles - 0. I woke up late, work is sucking right now and to top it off I start school again today at 3:45. The class was supposed to be for my work area only and everyone else in the building thought they were missing out so the college had to set up a special class. We went from 4 people, that I work with everyday, taking the class to 16 people. Two of the people are high ranking officers. So much for the class being fun.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Orin Martin
Pat, that is almost cool enough to take your breath away and I thought I had some thing to complain about.
It is hard to breathe when it gets that cold, that's for sure! Come on spring, I'm ready!

Originally Posted by mwvdub
Good morning guys. the tally this morning is morning - 1, miles - 0. I woke up late, work is sucking right now and to top it off I start school again today at 3:45. The class was supposed to be for my work area only and everyone else in the building thought they were missing out so the college had to set up a special class. We went from 4 people, that I work with everyday, taking the class to 16 people. Two of the people are high ranking officers. So much for the class being fun.
Morning Miles. Sorry your day sucks, man. What's the class for?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:07 AM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
microsoft access. there is supposed to be a database manager in our office. When she quit they temporarily transferred the job to archives/records downstairs to help cover the slackers down there. The guy running the joint is married to my supervisor so he doesn't do much. hence why they are 4-6 months behind. In the mean time he takes naps, wonders around eating candy out of the candy dishes and we are running a five person office with 4 people. I thought if I took the class i could get the database job and the 23.5% raise that comes with it in June when the position comes back to our office.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:10 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Or, you could just kill that slacker, and marry your supervisor.....

Old 01-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Orin Martin
Posting Guru
Pat, even though I know you used great thought and am sure you had Miles best interest in mind may I point out a couple of glich's in you other wise noble idea.
1: Murder is still against the law'
2: Doubt very much that Miles other half may consider this to be a relationship inhancemnt and be even become downright upset about the idea. Some women expect to being number 1, go figure.
3: There may be a reason that Miles supervisor is married to a slacker and sometimes secrets are best kept that way.

Bottom line: Things can and usualy do get worse. (In no way should any thing I write be held as base for any that can help others just having my moment) LOL!

Quick Reply: January BS Thread...Let it fly!!!