Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comprehensive "Steering Wander" Thread Compilation (and Excursion leaf spring spreadhseet)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To the top

Old 01-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Bump.

Added Rich's thread to my first post.

Stewart

Old 02-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
This thread has taught me so much about springs...wow. I guess I will be on the look out for used springs. Thanks guys

Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Glad the thread has helped.

Stewart

Old 02-25-2012, 08:27 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 944 Likes on 686 Posts
Originally Posted by robbragiel
I guess I will be on the look out for used springs. Thanks guys
Here's an example:

2001 Ford F-350 Front Leaf Springs

Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After some searching for over an hour I can not find the anwser to the following.

What is the distance from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender on a stock 4wd Excursion both front and rear?

What is this distance with V code springs in the front? B's and stock blocks in the rear?

I bought an 05 4wd PSD X in January, and I am trying to figure out what I have. My measurements are 23.25" front and 24.25" rear.

Stewart, is this stock or do I have V codes in the front from the previous owner? Thoughts?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:45 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigdaddybus
After some searching for over an hour I can not find the anwser to the following.

What is the distance from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender on a stock 4wd Excursion both front and rear?

What is this distance with V code springs in the front? B's and stock blocks in the rear?

I bought an 05 4wd PSD X in January, and I am trying to figure out what I have. My measurements are 23.25" front and 24.25" rear.

Stewart, is this stock or do I have V codes in the front from the previous owner? Thoughts?
I'd consider taking a pic of the rear end. Visually you can't tell the springs on the front - V codes and stock both have 2 leaves. Nearly everyone who does V codes in the front do something to the rear - blocks, RAS, B codes, Modified B, etc.

Here is a shot of the stock rear end on an Excursion:

Note the size of the block and the anti-wrap bar. If you have a bigger block, a bottom overload leaf (goes fore and aft of the axle, not just fore) or a coil spring assembly on the top of the leaves, then the rear has been modified (and a good chance the front was modified as well if you are sitting level or with a rear-high rake).

Stock front springs:

V code fronts:

Note the leaves are visually the same - thickness, etc. Mine look a lot different since the new ones were clean when put on, but next to one another when off of the truck, they have the same arc. Makes it very difficult to tell the difference.

I haven't seen any posts with measurements to the center of the hub...only to the ground. Here were my measurements -
Pre Spring measurements:
Driver Front: 37 1/8
Passenger Front: 37 1/4
Driver Rear: 38
Passenger Rear: 38 1/2

New springs (the truck was facing the opposite direction in the driveway):
Driver Front: 39 3/4
Passenger Front: 39 3/4
Driver Rear: 40 1/4
Passenger Rear: 40 3/8 (uneven driveway or cladding is off a hair?)

Old 03-14-2012, 07:47 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Also, your dizzle will sit a touch lower than my V10 since your motor is heavier.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
Also, your dizzle will sit a touch lower than my V10 since your motor is heavier.
Thanks Robert! Since my truck has oversized wheels/tires and I didn't get stockers with it, I was looking for the center hub measurement.

So I went out to the garage and measured 39.5" front and 40.5" rear to the wheel well molding with 275/65/20's.

The rear suspension looks Just like your stock picture with hollow block, and antiwrap bar.

The front was a surprise when I found part number 3C34-5310-AJA, which are not Ford V code part numbers, but close. aftermarket i assume.

Now to upgrade these reflex shocks!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Bigdaddybus
The front was a surprise when I found part number 3C34-5310-AJA, which are not Ford V code part numbers, but close. aftermarket i assume.
Don't trust any front spring part numbers stamped on them...to date no-one can produce a comprehensive list of part numbers vs spring code. I thought I read even V code stamps don't always match other V code springs.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:06 AM
C50bart
Senior User
I would like to thank all the guys that have provided the V & B Mod Swap information. After 2 Days of knuckle busting wrench turning labor, while having Strep throat (Thanks to my kids ), I've completed the front & Rear suspension .

I'll post up details but I wanted to share Before & Afters pictures.

http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/c5...rd%20Excursion

I think it's time for 35" wheels....

Here's to you guys!!!

Last edited by Stewart_H; 04-25-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Per OP's request to replace dead pic links
Old 04-08-2012, 09:51 PM
crmarshall
Senior User
While tightening my steering box I notices something I found interesting. I could not get the play out of the wheel by tightening the box. I had my son "rock" the wheel back and forth while I held each steering component to check for play. While doing this I noticed the entire axle with the springs was moving under the vehicle(side to side). The bushings in my stock Ex springs are so soft that they were/are allowing the axle to move 1/4" side to side. The bushing was not sliding on the bolt, just flexing. I also noticed that the sag of the stock springs had decreased the angle of the track bar and pushed the springs to the passenger side of the spring perches on the front of the spring. This was causing the passenger spring to contact the outside of the spring perch and caused a clunking sound when I hit a bump. I had replaced my sway bar bushing (which were shot) but still had the clunk. I am putting V codes in this week.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 AM
jwronski
Senior User
With 5 inches of additional height at the back end, I am assuming that you did a little more mods than just the Modded B's? I see the dual shocks in the front. What else did you do? Looks good.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:34 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by C50bart
I would like to thank all the guys that have provided the V & B Mod Swap information. After 2 Days of knuckle busting wrench turning labor, while having Strep throat (Thanks to my kids ), I've completed the front & Rear suspension .
Looking good man! I know the dohnut tire feeling. Drove mine around for 6 months after the lift with the stock tires while trying to save up some $ and decide on rims & tires.

Take your time and do your homework on tires so you don't end up rubbing.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:36 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jwronski
With 5 inches of additional height at the back end, I am assuming that you did a little more mods than just the Modded B's? I see the dual shocks in the front. What else did you do? Looks good.

Looking at the 3rd picture it looks like he also added a hanger kit.

Quick Reply: Comprehensive "Steering Wander" Thread Compilation (and Excursion leaf spring spreadhseet)