2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP:Repairs/Mods/Addition Recommendations

Old 09-24-2008, 08:04 PM
USMCAIRF18
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking HELP:Repairs/Mods/Addition Recommendations

I just bought a 2006 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4 with a SuperCab and 8FT Longbed.
Dark blue w/ grey trim
HD rearend with 4.10 gears, 7-lug wheels, 10.25" rearend
Tow package
Grey cloth interior
Power windows, mirrors, driver's seat
CD player
Keyless entry on driver's door with key fobs as well
.................................................. ..........................................
.................................................. ..........................................
If anyone has any recommendations for any of the repairs/additions/modifications I must do/would like to do please send them my way with business names/links.....Thanks

Repairs:
-Both "FORD" blue oval embelems are peeling chipping...
-Passenger side mirror is cracked...
*(I would like to get both of these fixed but if there is somewhere cheaper than Ford direct I can get genuine Ford parts I'd appreciate it.)*

-The Driver's window works intermittently and is very slow when does.

Additions:
-I want to add a cap to my long bed and one that extends up (tall) in the rearmost portion so that I may keep two motorcycles in the back side by side with it over the handlebars... (one dirt bike, one street bike) Best company??

-I want to get some form fitting high quality seat covers, I want some that look practically original that won't be loose or slide around once installed. Maybe neoprene or such, I am active and want something resistant to high use and dirt. Any good quality/priced companies??

Possible/Likely Modifications:
-Cold air intake??
-Aftermarket air filter setup??

-Dual exhaust??
-Headers?? Maybe? Worth it?
*(What is the difference between "dual" and "true dual" exhaust? I want something that sounds good but primarily increases performance.)*

Thanks!!

Old 09-24-2008, 08:14 PM
ggwash21
Senior User
I'll be the first to say it
WORTHLESS WITH OUT PICS....
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for mirrors and possibly a window motor you can find great prices and A+ conditions.
Look into a Ford ESP warranty i bought a 4yr 48k extended warranty for $1645 just the basic care. Could have got the platinum but it was spendy.

I added an access cover too mine and love it.... Fits snug and adjustable when you own it after while and needs tightening.

Volant CAI is the common one i see added looks good too..
thats my .02 hope it helps

Old 09-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by USMCAIRF18
I just bought a 2006 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4 with a SuperCab and 8FT Longbed.
Dark blue w/ grey trim
HD rearend with 4.10 gears, 7-lug wheels, 10.25" rearend
Tow package
Grey cloth interior
Power windows, mirrors, driver's seat
CD player
Keyless entry on driver's door with key fobs as well
If anyone has any recommendations for any of the repairs/additions/modifications I must do/would like to do please send them my way with business names/links.....Thanks

Repairs:
-Both "FORD" blue oval embelems are peeling chipping...
miles? if under 36,000 then you might still be under warranty. they will repair for free

-Passenger side mirror is cracked...
about $30 for the glass alone at the Ford house.

-The Driver's window works intermittently and is very slow when does.
again, you under 36,000 miles? if so, another free warranty repair...or search through the forum for a window intermittent thread I made about 2 months back. the last post is a great write-up on how to clean the window switch to cure that intermittent action

-Cold air intake??
-Aftermarket air filter setup??
both = Volant

-Dual exhaust??
Magnaflow Kit #16614...got pics of it installed on my truck...and alot of other users as well

-Headers?? Maybe? Worth it?
worthless unless you are running Forced induction with a complete 100% aftermarket exhaust. OEM exhaust is good for about 400 HP

*(What is the difference between "dual" and "true dual" exhaust? I want something that sounds good but primarily increases performance.)*
Dual exhaust and True dual are sonomous.

True dual refers to the left side of engine has it's own exit pipe in the back...and the right side of engine has it's own exit in the back. they meet somewhere in the middle with a crossover pipe to balance out the exhaust flows

SIDO (single inlet, dual outlet) refers to the "Y" shape exhaust you currently have. the left/right banks are combined at a "Y" shape from the factory. alot of people (me included) split that "Y" back out into 2 seperate exhaust pipes...but the "Y" remains. A true dual setup removes the "Y" completely.

a true dual sounds better in 99% of cases. but a good SIDO is just as good and only an exhaust fanatic will truly notice the difference between them

Thanks!!
your welcome
bold stuff

Old 09-24-2008, 09:04 PM
USMCAIRF18
Freshman User
Thanks for your reply....

What do you mean by:
"I added an access cover too mine and love it.... Fits snug and adjustable when you own it after while and needs tightening." ????

I have Pics in my Gallery...Thanks (good point!)

Old 09-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

What do you mean by:
"I added an access cover too mine and love it.... Fits snug and adjustable when you own it after while and needs tightening."QUOTE]
most likely he has a soft cover for his bed. after a while in the sun, they tend to stretch and sag in the middle. the good ones can be adjusted back to being tight...for awhile anyways.

I suggest you look into the Bak Flip. It's a black hard aluminum cover that comes in 3 pieces...maybe 4 for the 8ft bed. It can hold 500 lbs ontop of it as well. When you need the bed space, it folds up into lockable sections and/or removes in minutes.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:01 AM
USMCAIRF18
Freshman User
Tylus,
First of all, thanks so much for all your input....
It has 37,000 miles and so is out of warranty for the FORD embelems and mirror and window...ill check out your old post

I've seen Volant mentioned by quite a few people including multiple times in posts by yourself...is there a specific reason why? why over K&N? or others? curious...

Is that magnaflow kit you recommended for true duals with two separate exit pipes to the back or for one that starts after the "Y"??
If I was to do a "true" dual setup, would the two pipes have to meet? if so to balance the exhaust flows would that be in a single cat or just a separate can? wouldn't that defeat purpose of duals and essentially be a "Y" in itself?

Where with the current stock "Y" is that catalytic converter? before or after the "Y"?? Also, for your SIDO setup is it making it dual by putting another "Y" right off the existing "Y" just facing opposite direction to get duals coming out back??

Oh yea, I want a full cap rather than a hard cover (foldable or not) because being in the military I plan on having both bikes in the back and traveling with them in there and possibly keeping them in there for extended periods of time along with other stuff stored in there...you prefer a certain make of caps?

Thanks again!!

Old 09-25-2008, 04:11 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Tylus,
First of all, thanks so much for all your input....
It has 37,000 miles and so is out of warranty for the FORD embelems and mirror and window...ill check out your old post
I would pull it up for you myself, but as anybody who frequents FTE can see, I post alot....and the older threads are hard for me to find.

edit: nevermind. it was really easy to find. Power Window Switch Bad Thread post #20 by Smokey Bear is what you want specifically. Hopefully it's not the window regulator itself

I've seen Volant mentioned by quite a few people including multiple times in posts by yourself...is there a specific reason why? why over K&N? or others? curious...
it looks good
it works without causing CEL's
K&N had it's day...there's lots of reasons. For me, the quality, fit/finish are excellent. My only complaint is the mounting screws. I had to customize them slightly. Otherwise, my truck sounds like a 4 barrel big block. me like

Is that magnaflow kit you recommended for true duals with two separate exit pipes to the back or for one that starts after the "Y"??
Magnaflow kit #16614 is a single inlet muffler with dual outlet pipes. So it maintains the stock "Y" pipe where the left/right engine banks are joined up

If I was to do a "true" dual setup, would the two pipes have to meet? if so to balance the exhaust flows would that be in a single cat or just a separate can? wouldn't that defeat purpose of duals and essentially be a "Y" in itself?
Where with the current stock "Y" is that catalytic converter? before or after the "Y"?? Also, for your SIDO setup is it making it dual by putting another "Y" right off the existing "Y" just facing opposite direction to get duals coming out back??

yes, you hit the nail on the head. each engine bank needs access to the other side. this balances out the exhaust flows and the crossover pipe creates a scavenging affect on the other side.

Your factory exhaust has 2 cats. then the pipes merge into 1 pipe. If you want true duals, just cut that "Y" section off. You don't need to mess with your cats at all. Leave at least a 1" buffer between your OEM pipe after the cats and anything new. That way you'll stay legal, and your cats will remain under the 7/8 yr emissions warranty.

Oh yea, I want a full cap rather than a hard cover (foldable or not) because being in the military I plan on having both bikes in the back and traveling with them in there and possibly keeping them in there for extended periods of time along with other stuff stored in there...you prefer a certain make of caps?
I personally hate bed covers myself. They restrict my veiw too much. And I've learned the hard way to not store anything valuable in my vehicles while deployed (I'm a E6 in Navy myself). A storage unit isn't overly expensive, and your stuff is much better protected IMO.

Thanks again!!
bold stuff again

Old 09-25-2008, 06:15 AM
USMCAIRF18
Freshman User
Thanks Tylus...What is your rate? Where are you stationed? I am at the academy right now and am looking to graduate USMC out of here with a commission in May. Can't wait to get into the fleet!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:55 AM
metal83
Junior User
Originally Posted by ggwash21
I'll be the first to say it
WORTHLESS WITH OUT PICS....
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for mirrors and possibly a window motor you can find great prices and A+ conditions.
Look into a Ford ESP warranty i bought a 4yr 48k extended warranty for $1645 just the basic care. Could have got the platinum but it was spendy.

I added an access cover too mine and love it.... Fits snug and adjustable when you own it after while and needs tightening.

Volant CAI is the common one i see added looks good too..
thats my .02 hope it helps
Wow, you spent a lot for your warranty!! You can get a Premium Care Ford ESP for a much longer period for much less through Ford Extended Service Plans.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:10 AM
ggwash21
Senior User
Originally Posted by metal83
Wow, you spent a lot for your warranty!! You can get a Premium Care Ford ESP for a much longer period for much less through Ford Extended Service Plans.
My truck has more then 36k on it. It wont give me one... My truck has 53800 on it.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:37 AM
metal83
Junior User
Originally Posted by ggwash21
My truck has more then 36k on it. It wont give me one... My truck has 53800 on it.
Ahh i see, sorry.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:28 AM
USMCAIRF18
Freshman User
Tylus,
Are there any real objections you have to a Flowmaster exhaust over MagnaFlow? just curious once again...

Also, neither seem to have kits for true duals so to speak (cat-back systems) where cut off "Y" after cats and just put in a x-pipe and than (2) straight pipes back to exit... Am I wrong? Missing something?

Old 09-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Tylus,
Are there any real objections you have to a Flowmaster exhaust over MagnaFlow? just curious once again...

Also, neither seem to have kits for true duals so to speak (cat-back systems) where cut off "Y" after cats and just put in a x-pipe and than (2) straight pipes back to exit... Am I wrong? Missing something?
yes and no on the Flowmaster. Do you want loud and obnoxious, or somewhat loud and mellow?

I have a Flowmaster Super 40 on my Dodge Durango with 5.7 Hemi right now. And the Maggie #16614 on my 5.4 F-150. I've also had a flowmaster on one of the 302's in my signature.

The Flowmaster is godawfully loud. And it does sound ferocious. But it gets annoying with a quickness. Especially on the highway in the drone zone. roughly 1800 rpm to about 2500 rpm (60-80 mph in o/d). I also hate driving about 40 mph because the tranny is deciding between 3rd and 4th gears...so it hovers about 2000 rpm.

I personally like my Maggie kit because it's loud when you get on the gas...and that's it. At idle and 75 mph, you can hear it...but not really. The exhaust makes itself known when you stomp the gas. My 4 yr old can sleep in the truck without any problems.

It really comes down to preferences. I'm not into loud exhausts anymore. Once upon a time, I thought a 383 stroker with headers and open collectors was fun. Now I get a headache and wonder what I was thinking. You get old

If you want a loud truck, get the flowmaster. hands down it is the loudest on the market. oh yeah, nobody makes a true dual kit. you will need to get a shop to custom make it. Just buy 2 mufflers offline (cheapest usually) and then tell the shop what you want. It's very easy on our trucks. Make sure to tell them you want a crossover pipe...aka "H" pipe. Don't get a "x" pipe. they are too damn raspy.

E-6 Nuclear Machinest Mate (Submarines)

Old 09-25-2008, 05:46 PM
ggwash21
Senior User
ok i feel left out now..... 0331 machine gunner E-5 98-04 15th meu.....

Semper Fi ..

Old 09-25-2008, 09:37 PM
98greensi
Senior User
i put on a american thunder kit, with the super 40, it's not that bad i've heard alot louder, the only really bad drone is from 80-95kms 40-55mph (I think) at a 100kms or 60 it starts to get quite again and at 110+ it's quite i went on a 4000kms road trip to B.C. from ontario and it wasent bad, but i'm 26 and like to hear my vechicles. i worn you though cold starts are f-ing loud the only part that kind bothers me.... i feel sorry for the nieghbors sometimes.... but i love the sound of my flowmaster

Edit: My truck is a 05 Screw 5.4