1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

85 F150/Bronco Combo 4.9L - Need Help Engine Hookups

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Heavenword1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 85 F150/Bronco Combo 4.9L - Need Help Engine Hookups

I helped my son swap a F150 cab on a Bronco body. All 1985. (Had to move the entire wiring harness over, since the 4.9L was carbed, and the F150 cab was 5.0 EFI.) The process took a long time, and we're nearly back together. But I've forgotten where some of the engine vacuum tubes and such go. I took pictures and labeled, but missed a few. Can you give me a hand or a pic or two? Here are some pics:

#1 I can't remember where or how this was attached to the spash guard or fender.

#2 Some smog thing, not sure if there was a hose on the front side or not or where it came from.

#3 The vacuum tube thing in the top middle, where does it connect?

#4 The vacuum tubes on the fireall, not sure where they connect. Maybe with #3 above, not sure.

You'll see I used duct tape and sharpies to mark most of the tubes and wires, but didn't get them all. If you can clear up these mysteries or take a pic or two of your engine, that would help me a lot.

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,725 Likes on 1,395 Posts
I am a little confused, since in your post you started with a six cylinder and a FI v8, and in the pictures you are trying to hook up a carbed v8. So where did some of this stuff come from, the six or same the place the carbed v8 came from?

#1. If you can't find any holes that line up, just drill some more. If this is the FI fender, it didn't have this box.

#2. That's the charcoal canister. You should have a "hat" looking thing that slides over that big hole, where vacuum lines connect.

#3. I am not sure where that thing came from? The six cylinder, or this v8(what year)?

#4. That's the vacuum tree. You should have at least one going to the intake manifold, and another going over to the passenger side to feed the HVAC.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's what my truck looks like...

The box just bolts in and from lookin at your inner fender you already seem to have the holes..this is what the 3 bolts look like bolted in.

Now here's what my tree looks like...One of the hoses went to the back of the motor,another to a fitting below the carb,and i couldn't find where the other one directly led to...

Here's the other piece you showed..mine was located on the top of the valve cover...

And ford trucks came with many different style charcoal canisters,but the fittings should be the same..here's what mine looks like..

Now all these are from my 1980 Ford F100 w/4.9.There might be a difference between your setup and mine.But maybe this can give you some idea...

Old 08-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Heavenword1
Senior User
No, we're hooking up a carbed IL4.9 6 cyl. But we had to move a cab that had a V8 EFI wiring harness. So we had to move the wiring harness from the original IL6 Bronco body to the F150 cab.

#1. The box has bolts that come UP from it, but not down. And they aren't long enough to mount it upside down.

#3. This is an 85 6 cylinder.

Thanks for the quick answers!

Originally Posted by Franklin2
I am a little confused, since in your post you started with a six cylinder and a FI v8, and in the pictures you are trying to hook up a carbed v8. So where did some of this stuff come from, the six or same the place the carbed v8 came from?

#1. If you can't find any holes that line up, just drill some more. If this is the FI fender, it didn't have this box.

#2. That's the charcoal canister. You should have a "hat" looking thing that slides over that big hole, where vacuum lines connect.

#3. I am not sure where that thing came from? The six cylinder, or this v8(what year)?

#4. That's the vacuum tree. You should have at least one going to the intake manifold, and another going over to the passenger side to feed the HVAC.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Heavenword1
Senior User
Thanks for the info. A few reactions...

Your pics #1 & #2.
It almost looks like there is some kind of cover plate to the box that I'm missing, if I'm following this right. It doesn't have that Duraspark label showing that mine does.

Your pic #3.
Great. That is REAL helpful. Thanks!

Your pic #4.
That gives me at least one of the hook-ups. It's too dark out there now, but I'll take another look and maybe have a follow-up question on this one.

Your pic #5.
Thanks. It looks a bit different. I'm confused, in that picture, is the front of the vehicle to the left or to the right? I'm guessing left. If so, is that just some sort of drain tube that just drains down to the ground?

Thanks much for this. It gets me a lot closer. My son goes to college in 2 weeks. We need to get this running again. (And I'm ready to get my driveway back.)

Originally Posted by fordtruckman80
Here's what my truck looks like...

The box just bolts in and from lookin at your inner fender you already seem to have the holes..this is what the 3 bolts look like bolted in.

Now here's what my tree looks like...One of the hoses went to the back of the motor,another to a fitting below the carb,and i couldn't find where the other one directly led to...

Here's the other piece you showed..mine was located on the top of the valve cover...

And ford trucks came with many different style charcoal canisters,but the fittings should be the same..here's what mine looks like..

Now all these are from my 1980 Ford F100 w/4.9.There might be a difference between your setup and mine.But maybe this can give you some idea...

Old 08-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Heavenword1
Thanks for the info. A few reactions...

Your pics #1 & #2.
It almost looks like there is some kind of cover plate to the box that I'm missing, if I'm following this right. It doesn't have that Duraspark label showing that mine does.

Your pic #3.
Great. That is REAL helpful. Thanks!

Your pic #4.
That gives me at least one of the hook-ups. It's too dark out there now, but I'll take another look and maybe have a follow-up question on this one.

Your pic #5.
Thanks. It looks a bit different. I'm confused, in that picture, is the front of the vehicle to the left or to the right? I'm guessing left. If so, is that just some sort of drain tube that just drains down to the ground?

Thanks much for this. It gets me a lot closer. My son goes to college in 2 weeks. We need to get this running again. (And I'm ready to get my driveway back.)

Well,first off i think my box is just a different style and manufacturer then yours.The bolt pattern should be the same.And with pic 3,your welcome.As far as pic 4,i really couldn't get a good pic because my camera wanted to die so i had to make it quick..But i'll look out for your other pic and i'll try and get a better one..With pic 5,the front of the truck is to the left..I'll have to get back to you on what that goes to..but i know for sure it doesn't drain to the ground.However the previous owner cut my radiator overflow hose short so it doesn't go to the overflow can,just straight down to the ground.But back to topic,like i previously stated ford had different charcoal canisters on the trucks.But the hookups are basically the same however they have slight differences.That's why when you replace them you have to get the original part number and match it up to the new one.Good Luck!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Heavenword1
Thanks for the info.

Your pic #5.
I just compared your charcoal canister to mine and they actually seem the same.I just have that support in the way which makes it look different.I'll go out and get a pic from the same angle you got yours.That should clear it up...

Old 08-02-2008, 09:38 PM
rhodie
Senior User
Maybe the ignition box was was held on by studs that just broke off? Anything on the underside of that fender tends to rot and break off pretty easily. When I bolted mine back on, I put a couple of washers in between the box and the fender so air could get in there, hoping that it would work better (though I've never had any trouble with it...preventative measure).

Old 08-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Heavenword1
Senior User
Thumbs up

You're right, the studs were broken, probably a while back. We got them drilled out and attached.

And with the other help, we got the puppy to fire up today. I may not have every vacuum tube in the right spot, but it's running, which is a great sound after almost a 2 month project...

Thanks!