46 Ford PU High School Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 05:01 PM
shopteacher
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
46 Ford PU High School Project

Hi,

I am an industrial arts teacher beginning a new job. I just bought a 1946 Ford pickup that's somewhat rusty but all there. The frame still looks solid. It has a V/8 flat head. I want to make a two year auto technology/auto body student restoral project out of it. It hasn't ran in 12 years or so and stopped becaused of a bad clutch.

I guess my first question is: should I keep the stock engine or update it? Are there rebuild kits for the flat head available?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-22-2008, 07:26 PM
mossyoak1992
Senior User
please leave the flathead i hate when people swap out motors and stuff like that i love to see old trucks as correct as posible and yes they do sell rebuild kits

Old 07-22-2008, 09:14 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is your truck, do what you want. Flatheads are cool, but there are a lot of other options too. We all have personal preferences. Mine is that a Ford truck/car needs a Ford engine. Plus SBCs are BORING. And congratulations on being the proud owner of a jailbar (nickname courteousy of the Aussies).

Old 07-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
Like 46 said, its your truck and do with it what you want. I have a 47 1 ton, but it has a 6 cyl that will be coming out and be replaced with wither a 390, 302 or 400. But if it would have a flat head 8 I myself would look at rebuilding it and keeping it in it. There are quite a few places around that can rebuild them properly (Jimmy Shine from SO Cal did it with his car) But with teaching a high school auto tech class, it might be better to swap in a newer motor/trans setup as most of those kids will probably never see a flathead again. Or it might be a cool teaching tool even if you didnt use it in the truck to show how the industry started out to what is used today.

With my truck, I am going to keep most of the sheet metal stock, do a few upgrades like power windows, nice interior, newer gauges. Also modern drive train like 9" Ford rear, IFS front, one of the motors previously listed and either a 6 speed stick or auto with OD(not sure yet).

Old 07-22-2008, 11:48 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaosracing
Like 46 said, its your truck and do with it what you want. I have a 47 1 ton, but it has a 6 cyl that will be coming out and be replaced with wither a 390, 302 or 400. But if it would have a flat head 8 I myself would look at rebuilding it and keeping it in it. There are quite a few places around that can rebuild them properly (Jimmy Shine from SO Cal did it with his car) But with teaching a high school auto tech class, it might be better to swap in a newer motor/trans setup as most of those kids will probably never see a flathead again. Or it might be a cool teaching tool even if you didnt use it in the truck to show how the industry started out to what is used today.

With my truck, I am going to keep most of the sheet metal stock, do a few upgrades like power windows, nice interior, newer gauges. Also modern drive train like 9" Ford rear, IFS front, one of the motors previously listed and either a 6 speed stick or auto with OD(not sure yet).
Nice idea on the teaching and engine choice. Money and time are everyone's challenges, but it would be great if a class could rebuild a flathead plus more modern OHV. Let them decide what goes in. And Shopteacher, can I enroll?

Old 07-23-2008, 01:59 AM
shopteacher
New User
brainstorming options for high school project

Thanks everyone for the variety of approaches.

I like the historical idea that rebuilding the flathead would give students the concept of how technology develops both good and bad....

I also like the idea of either updating the mill or dropping the whole body on a late model Tacoma or any mini pick up that was a roll over total.

And then the money factor is always the reality check.

I also got boxes of spare parts with the deal including aluminum heads and manifold with 3- two barrel carbs (weiand). Keeping the flathead and using these goodies could be a sexy engine compartment.

I think I have to do a tear down and assess the project before coming to conclusions.

Thanks again for the input

Old 07-23-2008, 10:02 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
The engine might be good...just something to think about before just tearing things apart for a rebuild.

As mentioned before, parts are avaiable for your flathead. If my '36 hadn't been cobbled up with a SBC, hacked up x-member and a pooorly installed '55 chevy rearend, I'd have stuck with the stock route for sure.

I look at a vehicle and where it's currently at, and what it has in it...as to wheher to modify it or keep it as is...from the sound of yours, I'd keep it as-is.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:24 AM
shopteacher
New User
The engine might be good

Mike, you may be right that the engine might be good. I am thinking about putting some penetrating oil in the sparkplug holes and let it sit it awhile and then do a compression check. I am concerned that the cylinders may have some corrosion form sitting for 12+ years. However, I was told it was running before the clutch went out.

I am leaning towards keeping the truck stock because it's not a basket case and it because my learning objectives are to teach students basic theory and repair..not customizing...

On the other hand, I am not sure about keeping it a six volt electrical system unless it all is in working order. I don't want to be nickled and dimed to death buying hard to find parts.

At this stage, I am researching for information from guys like that did that done that...

I never did an oldie restoral before...

thanks

Old 07-23-2008, 06:49 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
There's so many upgrades that can be done...12v like you mentioned, electronic ignition there's also a conversion that allows the GM HEI to work with the FH's...unsure of all years, but look into it....power brakes/etc...all things that you can do that don't take away from the "original look" of the truck, just makes it more reliable/safer to drive.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:51 AM
shopteacher
New User
Great idea! Combining old technology with new.......a great lesson in itself....I like the safety concern as well. The brakes don't work anyway and so an ideal time to look at options. I can always save the old parts .....cheers!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:10 PM
41inWV
Senior User

My '41 I installed front disc brakes and rear drums on a '79 Granada 8" rear end, power brake booster, serparate electric vacuum pump for the brakes (I'm using the Flathead manifold vacuum for the electronic distributor advance (an upgrade) and the C-4 Automatic transmission shifts (another upgrade)). When keeping the Flathead there's a LOT you can do and teach from.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:54 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds like a great project. In high school my shop teacher brought us a '38 1.5 ton to install juice brakes and replace the water pump on the old flathead. Later he sub framed it and installed a BBC in place of the flatty. While I like the idea of maybe building up the flatty, why not let the kids have a hand in it? Present them with options, small block Ford or build the flatty. If they have a bit of say in it they might be more enthusiastic to tackle the project.
Personally I think they might enjoy the SBF a bit more since it is more contemporary and they can relate better to it than the flathead. I have 2 of these trucks, and am going to have one of each, a flathead powered old school I beam truck, and a SBF powered IFS cruiser with air.
But if budget is an option, small block is the cheaper alternative, a flatty can get expensive since parts are a bit harder to find.
Good luck with the project, hope you can get the kids excited about this project.