1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Got a new gauge!! It rocks!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:42 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't used the scroll function yet. I hope to today. I think this gauge could replace most other gauges that are needed. though For the money it takes to get a pyrometer added to this gauge I would get a stand alone gauge. I think if I had no gauges at all, I would get a double pod for either the pillar or the dash. Then fill it with a Scan gauge and a stand alone pyrometer. Then I would also add oil pressure and coolant temp to the scan gauge.

Right now I have pyro, boost, trans temp, oil pressure, coolant temp and the scan gauge. The only thing I will want to add in the future once I go to an electric pump fuel system is fuel pressure. I will add that to the scan gauge I think.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:23 PM
nelstone74
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not as cool as having a whole pile of guages but it might be cheaper

Old 06-01-2008, 04:19 PM
TerminatorEng.
Senior User
Aeroforce is also releasing a dual EGT gauge very soon. The EGT amplifier will be built into the gauge, so all you will need are thermocouplers. Whether you run twin turbo's or just want to watch EGT's at two locations, it will match the standard scan gauge.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:46 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by nelstone74
Its not as cool as having a whole pile of guages but it might be cheaper
You can have both!! Or this gauge can help you if you want the sleeper look! Put it in the right spot nobody will even know its there.

Originally Posted by TerminatorEng.
Aeroforce is also releasing a dual EGT gauge very soon. The EGT amplifier will be built into the gauge, so all you will need are thermocouplers. Whether you run twin turbo's or just want to watch EGT's at two locations, it will match the standard scan gauge.
That sounds pretty sweet too! BTW Joey, you mentioned at PSM about the chrome bezel looking nice and maybe getting yours changed. While I like it and I won't be wanting a change the chrome is very bright and catches alot of sun!! Kinda hard on the eyes when it does that!

Also just had a 45 minute drive and got the cycle readings setup. It will scroll thru 4 screens each with 2 units displayed (8 total readings). The cycle rate can be changed from very fast to very slow. It really is a great option! I love this gauge even more the more I use it!

Old 06-01-2008, 05:17 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
i already have 3 guages but this is COOL!!!! (and secretly i've wanted a 2nd EGT and boost gauge... an extra one for pre-turbo and an extra boost for pre-intercooler) i've already decided that this is my next mod

Old 06-01-2008, 08:46 PM
TerminatorEng.
Senior User
I'm waiting for the dual EGT gauge too. I really could use it.

Tim, I understand what you mean about the Chrome, but mine are on the pillar so hopefully it won't be a problem.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:51 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by TerminatorEng.

Tim, I understand what you mean about the Chrome, but mine are on the pillar so hopefully it won't be a problem.
Yeah I have the Cobalt 2's on the pillar and don't seem to get much glare off those.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Tom S
Senior User
Thosen are great gauges. I love mine.

Tom

Old 06-01-2008, 11:04 PM
sticks25
Senior User
that is sweet! i had no idea those were available. you said when the glare gets you a bit. my question is then the sun is on the guage, can you still read the digital display? im just thinking about when the sun hits the tv or you try an read a watch in the direct sun. just curious

Old 06-02-2008, 01:15 AM
kawa
Postmaster
The only down side of an "All in One" gauge is that with individual gauges indicating: EGT, Trans Temp, Coolant temp, Boost, Fuel Press, Oil Temp.
These can all be scanned in a Nano second as you are driving.

Granted the All In One gauge has other options that are useful, helpful and desirable but one would generally use these when stopped while performing various tests.

I can see using this gauge only in conjunction with the majority of the gauges that I currently have mounted. I'm not trying to spoil the moment for anyone and I'll probably end up with one of these little beauty's myself but I will also probably keep most if not all that I have mounted/installed now. JMHO

Rog

Old 06-02-2008, 05:50 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by kawa
The only down side of an "All in One" gauge is that with individual gauges indicating: EGT, Trans Temp, Coolant temp, Boost, Fuel Press, Oil Temp.
These can all be scanned in a Nano second as you are driving.

Granted the All In One gauge has other options that are useful, helpful and desirable but one would generally use these when stopped while performing various tests.

I can see using this gauge only in conjunction with the majority of the gauges that I currently have mounted. I'm not trying to spoil the moment for anyone and I'll probably end up with one of these little beauty's myself but I will also probably keep most if not all that I have mounted/installed now. JMHO

Rog
Rog I would agree. I don't plan to replace any of my gauges with this one. Main reasons for me is that for boost pressures the scan gauge won't be accurate at the top end due to the regulator in the MAP line (used to cure other issues). The pyro I would only want a separate gauge for that. As for the others they don't change fast enough to be a big issue but like you say it will take more time for you to actually get an eye ball on reading just due to the cycle. Having this gauge is much like having a movie playing on my laptop while driving. I find I don't watch the road as much as I should!

As far as sun wash on the face of the gauge. I have not noticed it to be a major issue. the display is very bright. But I do have a crew cab with dark tint so it might be more of an issue in a regular cab.