1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

slamming a 65. PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:39 AM
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey man cool thread. i know you said you were going with the 4 inch drop beams and bag that setup. well did you know you can bolt an 03-07 crown vic front suspension into this truck and drop it about 5-6 inches and it will ride like a new crown vic. if i am not mistaken you can buy the bags for this setup just about anywhere. no fabbing needed. this is the direction i am going with my 66 f100 shorty. should be pretty cool when i finish the front and rear. good luck with the build man that truck is gonna be way low.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:27 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
User Tgowers used a 71 lincoln clip on his truck. I know it's not a slick but you could probably contact him and he could give you some info maybe. He has a lot of pics in his gallery. Heres his truck.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Blue Bomber
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice truck
keep us updated!!!!

Old 06-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Brandonwillis90
Junior User
Originally Posted by 663006
hey man cool thread. i know you said you were going with the 4 inch drop beams and bag that setup. well did you know you can bolt an 03-07 crown vic front suspension into this truck and drop it about 5-6 inches and it will ride like a new crown vic. if i am not mistaken you can buy the bags for this setup just about anywhere. no fabbing needed. this is the direction i am going with my 66 f100 shorty. should be pretty cool when i finish the front and rear. good luck with the build man that truck is gonna be way low.
thanks for the tip, i appreciate it. But i wont ever do a basic bolt in kit with no fab, just not my style. as far as the bag mounts and things go. Bolting in a new crossmember is cool. I wish i would have gone IFS. But its ok, the truck is turning out still.

but if i ever bag a I beam truck again. I will go IFS. because doing this with beams is a pain in my dick.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:12 AM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Hmmm still no gallery. I hate work computers. On the 03 on CV front clip they use a modified strut style spring/shock setup that resembles a coil over. I haven't seen confirmation that air ride is available in stock form. It looks like Air Ride Technologies "Shockwaves" may work. Need to do more research.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:46 AM
DrifterInc
New User
The 03+ CV has upper and lower arms... all that is needed for air ride is to make the cups for the bag to sit on. I don't know of a company that makes them right now, but I have talk to suicide doors and they'll make them for me... sometimes it helps to be involved in the scene for decades...

side note if 03+ has the mounts, shock waves will work... but there a poor excuse for air ride... stick with Slam Bags...

Old 06-17-2008, 12:58 PM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
I know it has UCA and LCA but the spring and shock assembly is a modified strut assembly. The bottom of the strut clamps (i think) into the middle of the LCA. The top mounts much like a coilover shock assembly. The spring has a small diameter and passes through the UCA. You can't just through in some cups for the airbags because the crossmember is forged aluminum wich means you can only get away with drilling and tapping on it, no welding allowed. BTW welcome to FTE feel free to correct me if I'm wrong I'm going on pictures I've seen of the setup here on FTE.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:43 PM
DrifterInc
New User
You are right, you can't weld the cups to the cross member, But they can bolt up to it.

Spring Fling 2008 -- SoCalCustoms.com

thats a sample truck, look close at the pass. side in the first pictue under the hood...

Being the owner of MiniStyle - Custom wheels, new trucks, hot women and had a chance to talked to the owner of that truck, at the time the cups were just resting in the pocket, but you can create a sandwich setup and a round lip to secure the cup...

I also am going off pictures... as I haven't found a full clip in the chicago area yet...

Old 06-17-2008, 04:30 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's another pic of that truck, you can see the spring cups in there.

Not trying to hijack the thread.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Marz-68
Senior User
Nice work Brandon!!
This truck was my first choice (uni body big window) but I got a good deal on my 68 bump truck so I went with it. Im also one of those people that cant leave anything stock wich is why the only thing stock on my truck is the cab,front fenders and the hood.
Keep up the good work ill be dropping in to see the progress soon.

Marcelino

Old 06-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Brandonwillis90
Junior User
Originally Posted by DrifterInc
The 03+ CV has upper and lower arms... all that is needed for air ride is to make the cups for the bag to sit on. I don't know of a company that makes them right now, but I have talk to suicide doors and they'll make them for me... sometimes it helps to be involved in the scene for decades...

side note if 03+ has the mounts, shock waves will work... but there a poor excuse for air ride... stick with Slam Bags...
shock waves are crap dont kid anyone. They are old technology. Slam bags are the best you can get hands down.

AND, if you want someoen to build you the cups. Id be happy to do it!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Brandonwillis90
Junior User
Originally Posted by jsutton
Here's another pic of that truck, you can see the spring cups in there.

Not trying to hijack the thread.

hell yes super dope

Old 06-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Johannes
New User
Your truck is looking awsome! and i think it will improve along the way
i was wundering if you have any more pic´s on your front susp. modification. I´m soon about to air ride my 65 f100 to and your build is a big inspiration!

(sorry about my english, im swedish)

Old 06-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Brandonwillis90
Junior User
Originally Posted by Johannes
Your truck is looking awsome! and i think it will improve along the way
i was wundering if you have any more pic´s on your front susp. modification. I´m soon about to air ride my 65 f100 to and your build is a big inspiration!

(sorry about my english, im swedish)
your english was fine.
my supension in the front was the biggest task ever. I dont recommend bagging a I beam truck using the Ibeams.

because in order to get the truck to lay out. i had to buy drop beams $595, tie rod relocators $45, Disk brake spindles(for the swap from drums) $200, all new brake parts for disk brakes(bearings, seals, calipers, rotors, lines) $235.

so thats a **** load of money just for the front suspension parts. that doesnt even include the bags
slams are $75 a peice, Plus 2 bag mounts, which for assembeled i sell for 20 bucks, plus about 4 feet of tube(at 5.75 a foot) 4 1/2 inch valves at 21.95 a peice, aboiut 50-70 bucks in fittings, and 10 bucks in air line.

bagging a truck is expensive. i have nearly 3500 into PARTs alone on this truck. because of the extensive modifaction

Old 06-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Johannes
New User
thanks for the response, and sorry for hi-jacking your thread.
i´ve already got the 2" drop beams, and its converted to discbrakes. So it would´nt cost me that much and the air ride i can get pretty cheap to but i im in lack of ideas how to rebuild the front end in a nice functional way. Pic's would be awsome =)

Quick Reply: slamming a 65. PICS!