1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Double Clutching

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Flathead 51
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double Clutching

I have a 51 ford F3 with a 4 speed, on the floor, transmission. I've never driven the truck because it didn't run when I bought it but now I'm getting close to putting it all back together and getting it out on the road. Will I have to use the "double clutch" technique or is this just a standard manual shift?

Old 04-20-2008, 07:23 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
most likely double clutching is what you'll need to do.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:35 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that would depend on your ability to drive a non syncro trans

Old 04-20-2008, 08:04 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey grind a pound for me!
Hey, don't worry, they'll make them outta rubber next year.
Is that a new coffee grinder?

Old 04-20-2008, 11:41 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,102 Likes on 819 Posts
Another Wisconsinite, where are you located? As you can see from my profile in the upper right hand side, I'm located in the SE part of the state.

I have a '49 F-2, double clutching isn't hard, your leg does get tired if you're in heavy traffic stay away from big city driving. It's more fun to drive out in the country anyways. I have gotten to a point I can drive my truck without using the clutch. It's all in the timing and getting to know when to shift.

The hardest part about driving a non-synchronized tranny is down shifting around corners. Check out my page about down shifting:

Shifting a Non-sycro Four Speed

Old 04-21-2008, 03:47 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
learn to drive a large car { tractor trailer } . im a truck driver and i'll be honest with you after so many years of floating the gears , i wouldna be able to double clutch worth a crap .

Old 04-21-2008, 06:09 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

The hardest part about driving a non-synchronized tranny is down shifting around corners. Check out my page about down shifting:

Bob, that's not the hardest part. The hardest part was remembering to duck when your truck driving dad tried to swat you for grinding.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:32 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drive that Non-Syncro for a couple years as a daily driver. Then switch to an S-10 5 speed and some decent rearend gears. You will probably like I did be totally amazed at how great that 5 speed is. After 3 years I'm still amazed everytime I drive my truck.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:30 AM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
When I was fresh out of high school, we had a "shop truck" - '51 F2 or 3. The owner of the station wouldn't put a penny into the station, and the truck was there when he got it. The equalizer shaft was out of it, and he wouldn't replace it. Sooooo....drove that truck for a year+ with NO clutch! You'd start out in granny, then go through the gears. I disagree on the hardest part - the hardest part is shifting into granny without a clutch, when you came to a stoplight. If you could get it in, you could have the motor running, and be all but stopped at idle. But, if you HAD to stop and wait, you'd have to start it in gear again.

As for double clutching, I've done it all my life. Learned on old cars, and never lost the habit. Not every single time, mind you, but more often than not...

R

Old 04-22-2008, 09:50 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
I cut my teeth on non syncro transmissions over 50 years ago and have seldom ever double clutched
once you learn to shift them if you use a clutch one push is adequate

Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Nojive55
Senior User
Luke, feather the throttle and feel the gears...

Way before anyone thought of Star Wars, I remember being in the car when Dad was teaching my older brother how to drive, (when I think about it, that alone was not too good of an idea) and he said, "I'm going to show you how to shift without using the clutch, but I don't want you ever to try it". Now why would you do that to your kids, whats the first thing we did when we got the chance? (Of course we did and we both learned it very well).

Old 04-22-2008, 12:09 PM
rcav8or
Originally Posted by Nojive55
Way before anyone thought of Star Wars, I remember being in the car when Dad was teaching my older brother how to drive, (when I think about it, that alone was not too good of an idea) and he said, "I'm going to show you how to shift without using the clutch, but I don't want you ever to try it". Now why would you do that to your kids, whats the first thing we did when we got the chance? (Of course we did and we both learned it very well).
A little bit of reverse-psychology? I'll bet he knew that if you could do that, you could drive ANY thing!! Now, did he also tell you "I don't want to catch you cleaning your room!"? When I was a kid, it was the rock quarry - "Do NOT go to the rock quarry!!!"...every time we went out the door, we'd go by the quarry, must be something LOT'S of fun there!!

rbaker - I agree, you don't have to double clutch. But I learned to do it the first time I ha to replace a clutch, and dad told me it was the way I was clutching that burned it, and he taught me to double-clutch. Just habit, like me tapping the brake light 3 or 4 times before I ever stop. Let's the guy behind me know my intentions. Habit, and I always do it without ever thinking about it. Had a friend follow me one night, and he said "your brake lights must have a short - they blink before they come on fully"...told him "Got your attention, did it??".

R

Old 04-22-2008, 12:23 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rcav8or
rbaker - I agree, you don't have to double clutch. But I learned to do it the first time I ha to replace a clutch, and dad told me it was the way I was clutching that burned it, and he taught me to double-clutch. Just habit, like me tapping the brake light 3 or 4 times before I ever stop. Let's the guy behind me know my intentions. Habit, and I always do it without ever thinking about it. Had a friend follow me one night, and he said "your brake lights must have a short - they blink before they come on fully"...told him "Got your attention, did it??".

R
clutching or double clutching has little to do with the wear on a clutch,except double clutching doe put a little more wear
slippingthe clutch or riding it makes for more wear
I have over three million miles of driving non syncro transmissions and am certified in drivetrains

Old 04-22-2008, 12:34 PM
rcav8or
Originally Posted by rbaker6336
clutching or double clutching has little to do with the wear on a clutch,except double clutching doe put a little more wear
slippingthe clutch or riding it makes for more wear
Ray - I realize that. But I was riding the clutch, causing the burn, and dad figured by emphasizing off and on, off and on, I would break myself of riding it. And it did. As I said, double clutching is not necessary, but not a bad habit if you do. Riding the clutch is...

R

Old 04-22-2008, 09:29 PM
jeffh
Elder User
It's not too bad once you get used to it. Just remember to take your time shifting.