Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Fuel filter location

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:25 PM
V8Limited
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter location

I was going to change out the fuel filter today on my Explorer but I could not find where is was.Does anyone know where Ford decided to put it on the '06-up models? And is it pretty easy to do or should I let the dealer do it? I know how to change them I just don't like getting gasoline all over me.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:41 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
dont know abou the 06, but the 02-03 is on the passenber side, under the front door area. its only a few inches from the running board, muffler, and drive shaft. there is a tin cover over it and the filter is up toward the floor board.-- not easy to remove.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:59 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will need a fuel line disconnect tool to get the filter off. Also, you should relieve the pressure before disconnecting the line.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Milisivana
Junior User
Might be a stupid question - but after relieving the pressure (taking off the gas cap) and attempting to remove the wire(s) to the fuel filter, do you have to pinch the wires so fuel does not leak/flow out from anywhere?

Old 03-31-2008, 03:42 PM
vicv
Senior User
Popping the gas cap won't relieve the pressure in the fuel line. Start the engine, then trip the fuel pump cut-off, the engine will stall. Still need to bleed the fuel rail, there's a schrader vale on it. Cover it with rags, don't do it if engine is hot. Fuel will STILL leak out of the filter, be ready for it, keep your mouth closed.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Milisivana
Junior User
Originally Posted by vicv
Popping the gas cap won't relieve the pressure in the fuel line. Start the engine, then trip the fuel pump cut-off, the engine will stall. Still need to bleed the fuel rail, there's a schrader vale on it. Cover it with rags, don't do it if engine is hot. Fuel will STILL leak out of the filter, be ready for it, keep your mouth closed.
Gotcha - where is the "fuel pump cut-off"?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:00 PM
Bikeitswift
Senior User
Its been said, but I repeat...You need the special tools! I'd let a shop (not the $$$$dealer)do it. You can also remove the fuse that controls the fuel pump (look in your manual at the fuse log), then start the engine and let it run out of gas....but let a shop do it, you are only going to save about $40.00, and it can be a real pill!!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Milisivana
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bikeitswift
Its been said, but I repeat...You need the special tools! I'd let a shop (not the $$$$dealer)do it. You can also remove the fuse that controls the fuel pump (look in your manual at the fuse log), then start the engine and let it run out of gas....but let a shop do it, you are only going to save about $40.00, and it can be a real pill!!
I have the tool - I got it at a yard sale for $1.00. haha

I bought the filter already too for $20

Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 AM
vicv
Senior User
On my 97 the cut-off is under/behind the glove box, your owner's manula will show you where yours is. Or, like Bikeitswift said, you can remove the fuse for the fuel pump and run te engine until it dies. You will still get gas from the filter when you remove it, I always get wet.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:44 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Dont know why you all are saying dodge the dealer. At least at my dealership we have a flat half hour charge for replacing the fuel filter. Thats about the 40 bucks one person mentioned paying a local garage to do it. In fact some dealers use a FOMOCO reduced labor rate for service related items with menu pricing. Never hurts to call the dealer and get the price list there first.

Ive seen plenty of MONKEYS break fuel lines and the special connectors at local garages and in driveways at home so you dont necessarily save money going there. 300 bucks for a new fuel line isnt a great deal for a fuel filter service.. IMHO.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Mikeymoe
New User
the fuel filter is located on the passanger side of the vehicle, near the Cat Converter.
there is a heat shield held in plce by three 13 MM bolts, two in the frame and one on the crossmember. remove these bolts and heat shield, and you will see two 10MM nuts- this is an additional shield. remove these nuts and Voila! there is the filter.
Pull the fuel pump relay ( consult owners manual) start the vehicle for the 3-5 seconds it takes to purge the fuel line pressure.
the fuel lines are held in place either by plastic clips, which are squeezed and pushed out of the way, or you may need a fuel line disconnect tool, which is slipped onto the fuel line and "pushed" into the fuel fitting, this will release the spring holding the fuel line in place.
Pay attention to how the filter bracket is mounted. ask me how i know.
if you have no so strong mechanical ability, PLEASE bring it somewhere and pay to have it replaced. My disconnect tools could or would not get the job done.
this simple replacement should have taken maybe 2 hours tops- (8 hours total labor time) i had to cut the fuel outlet line at the filter and fabricated my own tool to get the spring to release the fuel line. it was 15 minutes to re bolt everything back up.
i suspect this was the original filter ( '04 explorer 81K on the odometer) hence the hard time

Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I know on the earlier (02'-04') the fuel filters for the 4.0l and 4.6l are in different locations and require a different fuel filter. The filter is easier to get at on the 4.0l models, not so much on the 4.6l models.

Also do not screw with the fuel pump inertia switch, there is no reason for it. If you want to try and relieve pressure and remove excess fuel pull the fuel pump fuse and start the vehicle. It will run out of fuel and shut off. Purging the system at the fuel rail shrader valve is also an option. After changing dozens of filters I have come to the conclusion you do not need to pull the fuse and try to run the system dry or purge it. The fuel filter itself is what holds the most fuel.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:07 PM
ahall8
Junior User
I know this is after the fact, but might help someone in the future. I wrote a little how to for the fuel filter on my 02 explorer fuel filter.

How to Change Explorer Fuel Filter

Maybe that will save someone a few minutes?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:05 PM
85_Blue
Senior User
I completely agree that this is not a job for anyone who....

1. doesnt have basic FORD mechanical aptitude (not just some oil & plugs exp)
2. lots of patience, this is a PITA job, especially when working on your back

Everyone pretty much said the same thing here about "how to" but only one person mentioned the time issue. It is not a 20minute filter change unless you have done it before and can really get underneath the vehicle. Exhaust is hot!! and you will touch that pipe.

Just my $1 of exp,
85_Blue