"Ready to Run" Distributors - How are they ...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 04:28 AM
Kai
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings from Germany!!!:-X12

I plan on buying one of these "Ready to Run" billet distributors for my 289 SB Ford. I found a few different ones at different prices. Anyone has experience with one of these ? Which one is the best choice ?

Holley P/N 890-110 ($229 at JEG's)
Accel P/N 71201E ($200.95 at Summit)
MSD P/N 8352 ($285.95 at Summit)

I also searched Mallory's web site, but there's just too many different types and I just could not find one that is similar to the above listed units. Any idea which Mallory distributor qualifies as "Ready to Run" ?

I do not like the Mallory Unilites as I heard that it is expensive to replace this LED thing. or do you feel different ?

Reason for this "Ready to Run" idea is that I want things as simple as possible. I.e. no ignition box. I later would like to use the same thing on my 67 Mustang and again, I do not want to add any ignition box.

Thanx for your help and thoughts !!! :-X12

Old 12-12-2002, 08:30 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend

If you do not want to have an ignition box, are you not stuck with using a distributor with points? An MSD 6a or the stock Ford box is reliable. I would use a magnetic pickup type distributor even a stock Ford one.

Old 12-13-2002, 01:06 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not run a DUI Distributor? It is the only one I know of that doesn't use an external spark box. It is a GM-style HEI, modified for Fords. I run one in my truck, and love it.
www.performancedistributors.com

Jared

Old 12-14-2002, 02:21 PM
joetee10
Senior User

Whats up Kai? Hows the C4 runnin? If you still have the points dizzy you can buy a kit from Petronix that will allow you to use the stock dizzy. I think the kit runs around $75.00 american. If not then any of the aftermarket dizzys will work fine. Dont forget to upgrade your coil too!:-X12

Old 12-16-2002, 12:33 AM
Kai
Elder User

... Mike, thanx, ... as I said I try to stay w/o external box and that's why I am looking for an advise on the "Ready to Run" Distributors which have the box build into them already. Certainly going with a Magnetic Distributor and adding a MSD6 or similar would work.

... Jarded, thanx, ... DUI = Chevy. I'd rather stay Ford or go with one of the listed aftermarket brands.

... Joe, thanx, ... have been thinking about Pertronix. However, my stock distributor is a piece of junk and would require some work to make him look/perform good. That plus the $75 for the Pertronix + new cap/rotor ... and still it has the weaknesses of the original unit. I'd rather spend $200-300 on something 1st class.

Hope there's someone reading this who has used one of these "Ready to Run" units. Thanx.

:-X12 :-X12 :-X12 :-X12 :-X12

Old 12-23-2002, 04:06 PM
stroker393
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a Holley but Accel will work. My 500 horse stroker runs great with the "ready to run" unit that I got from Summit and installation was a breeze.

Old 12-23-2002, 09:48 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My neighbor used the R2R dizzy, MSD 6AL and MSD coil on his 67 289 mustang. It sure sold me on MSD. That engine didn't know what temperature it was at. He used to have to warm the car up before he drove it. Now he just gets in and goes. He can even get on it cold with no adverse effects even though he doesn't do this regularly as it is not good for the engine.

Old 12-25-2002, 10:54 AM
Kai
Elder User

Stroker393,

... thanx for the response. I have checked with Summit. They do not offer the Holley Ready-to-Runner Distributor, but only the ones from Accel and MSD. Wonder which partnumber of the Holley you have ?!?! Please advise.

Ratsmoker,

... the MSD unit is the one that I would really like to have, but it is also the most expensive one. I am still undecided therefore.

Merry X-Mas from Germany !!!

Old 12-25-2002, 08:43 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stay away from accel. They aren't even as good as stock in my experiences with them. Put a pertronix ignitor in your stock dizzy or get an MSD. I have heard mallory dizzys are pretty decent. I understand it is a lot of money for the setup (the reason I don't have one yet) but they are worth it. I am saving my money for the best.

Old 12-26-2002, 05:30 AM
stroker393
Senior User

My Holley # is 890-112 for the 351W; your application would require the 890-110 for the 289/302. Summit is out of stock at this time but Jeg's should be able to help you.

Old 12-26-2002, 06:53 AM
Kai
Elder User

... Ratsmoker, yes, have heard about Accel not being the best. That's why I look at MSD, Mallory or Holley. Could not find a Ready to Run in the Mallory catalog which I downloaded from the web. Understand that you always need an external ignition box. Also heard I should stay away from the Unilites, but rather take the magnetic ones.

... Stroker393, that's what I thought. P/N 890-110 for the 289/302s while the -112 is for the 351W. The info you get via the web from Holley as well a JEGs is a bit misleading. I'd therefore rather like to ask another question before buying and having it shipped to Germany (which is pretty much a point of no return as shipping back to exchange does not make sense due to high shipping cost as well as the trouble with customs). So here it is:

These Holley distributors (i.e. the 890-110 as well as the 890-112) have the electronic ignition module built in. I.e. no need for any external ignition box like the ones Holley as well as MSD (MSD-6A or similar), Mallory (HyFire VI) and some other offer ? Just a coil and a good set of wires, right ?

I understand that the Holley distributor have the HEI terminals and I therefore have to get the right ignition wires. Any suggestion ?

Finally there's always the option to go for a distributor without the built in ignition module. However, it appears that the magnetic distributors from Holley, MSD and Mallory are just a few bucks cheaper then and I have to buy a box which cost in the $150-200 range.

OK, enough questions for now. Please help me. Thanx.

Old 12-26-2002, 08:20 AM
stroker393
Senior User

That's it! I'm running the Holley dist., 820-101 lasershot 500 coil and Ford motorsport 9mm wires (M-12259-C301) blue 45deg boots which works with post type cap on the Holley (HEI). I was in your position debating on what ignition to go with and this combination has worked for me.

Old 12-26-2002, 02:48 PM
Kai
Elder User

Super, Stroker393. This was the answer I needed. Thanx again.

Greetings from Germany !!!

Old 01-01-2003, 06:03 PM
f150sleeper
Senior User

Ive got the MSD R2R dizzy and it works great I dropped it in, set the initial timing and havent touched it since. Easy to wire up too just needed a hot when the ignition is on then wire it straight to the blaster coil. Comes with all the springs and stops if you did need to adjust the mechanical advance.

1979 F150 Custom 2wd C4 302 painted ford blue, bored .040 over, flat top pistons, Edelbrock Performer cam, carb, and intake, stock heads, MSD Ready-To-Run distributor, MSD Blaster 2 coil, Edelbrock valve covers and air cleaner with K&N filter, Dynomax headers, dual exhaust with Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers, 38 gallon fuel tank(how i can drive it further than around the block) 9" rear end with 2.75 gears and open diff.

"You're only as fast as me until the light turns green"

Old 01-02-2003, 01:57 AM
Kai
Elder User

Thanx 'sleeper.

I finally ended up buying the #5755101 from Mallory (also took a Mallory coil and wires). Got a super price at Summit. They matched the $219 from Centuryperformance.com. That's almost $50 down from their catalog price. I won't have it running before later this spring, but will then inform you how it went.

Quick Reply: "Ready to Run" Distributors - How are they ...?