Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Theft Deterrant

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:37 PM
TxFordGuy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theft Deterrant

Thought I'd ask to see of any mods out there. I was curious to know what you guys have done for theft deterant. i have been told that all it takes to get in our trucks is a screwdriver and a good jab of the hand to break the lock and get in, and then use the screwdriver to start it. Don't know about your areas but i live in katy(which is near houston). Superdutys are one of the number one stolen vehicle by these mexican immgrants. Seems are bad as$ 4x4's are great for running from law enforcement off road going to mexico. Have any of you done anything to help being a victim. i just bought my truck and don't ever want to see it gone. Kill switches? plain alarm? thanks for any input

Old 03-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Lovin7.3
Elder User
DP tuner with "No Start" tune. Thats about it. When I leave on trips I unplug the F5 and put it in the house after I tune it to No Start.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:54 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The first time I posted this it sent some on a wild goose chase because not all Super Duty Powerstrokes have this solenoid mounted on the passenger side fender well. IIRC only 99, 00 and 01. The 02 & 03 have solenoid built into starter. The connection just pulls right off.

Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2008, 09:04 PM
PowerStroker?
Senior User
I'm looking at LoJack systems myself. 200$ for one plus install. They also give you a 2500$ guarantee that they'll get your truck back within 30 days. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but that's one route you can go, but if they're running to Mexico then that won't help much I don't think. Best protection from truck theft: A watchful eye and a good gun. Short of that I'd look into LoJack or some sort of electric disconnect switch to shut off electric from the batteries so that the whole truck is dead unless you hit the switch. You could mount it in an obscure location and they likely won't find it and turn the truck on. That's just my .02

Old 03-03-2008, 04:11 AM
AustinS
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run a starter disable solenoid with my remote start. It automatically disables the starter passively in one minute or instantly when I lock the doors with the key fob.

There's also a plate that can be installed behind the exterior door handle that prevents it from being popped out by a screwdriver. Follow this link for the info: http://www.jimmijammer.com/Ford%20Su...ial103002.html

Austin

Old 03-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I pull relay number 303 out of the fuse box and that's it. Truck will not start no matter what trick they try.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Ball valve in fuel line, pre-pump.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Islander1
Freshman User
EziTrak

http://www.ezitrak.com.au/eziTrak2008/index.html

Nuthing beats EziTrak.

Its not the cheapest system - theres lots of cheaper systems available - if you want cheap buy something else - Lo Jack springs to mind - but if you want the BEST then EziTrak is the answer.

I've been using one for the last couple years and you can't beat it

It is all the things it does that Lo Jack etc doesnt that makes the difference.

Disable the engine from your modile phone, after the trucks stolen if you like, or track your vehicle via moving maps on your mobile phone/ laptop etc.

Have your vehicle ring you if it is driven "overspeed" (that you set the advise speed).

Download a complete "black box" track log of where a vehicles been, put one in your wifes vehicle - is she having an affair or not?...you'll know if you can track her vehhicle real time or after the fact.

Theres Lo Jacks and theres Ezi Traks - the two shouldn't be confused - they are as different as chalk and cheese.

Even track your truck if it's towed away.

Read the website if you want the best otherwise buy something cheap.

Cheers

Old 03-03-2008, 09:20 AM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw
I pull relay number 303 out of the fuse box and that's it. Truck will not start no matter what trick they try.
To go even further with Scott's idea, find the ground wire for relay 303. Cut the ground and reattach it with two leads of wire into the cab and put a toggle switch on it. Piece-of-mind for less than $10.

Personally, I use my Diesel Turbo Lifesaver, its has an anti-theft toggle switch that I mounted in a custom location.
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=29

Old 03-03-2008, 09:22 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
There are some door lock back plates that are supposed to make it harder to steal. I thought I had saved it to my favorites here at work but it must be at home. I will check at lunch.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Mike F250
Laughing Gas

Don't mean to offend anyone but, I'd focus on a disable function rather than a tracking product. A few years back the salesman I was working with to get a GMC Jimmy had pictures of his truck as his screen saver. The police were able to track it very quickly but, they found it ready for parts distribution. He got his truck back once it was re-assembled

Old 03-03-2008, 09:43 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
tracking systems aren't as good as a disabling system. GM has onstar and a salesman was trying to get my faether in law to buy one after they stole his f250. he laughed and told him, I know where my truck is at, but a lot of good that does me.

then he spoke to the county sheriff and even he said. "there are a lot of places they won't go to recover a vehicle because of the gangs that have them." they are too scared to do so for their safety and their families.

i installed a kill switch along with my viper alarm and really bright flashing LED. they could still do a smash and grab, but they aren't getting the truck.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by empiretc

i installed a kill switch along with my viper alarm and really bright flashing LED. .
Hey David can I install a kill switch on my truck with my stock fob system or would I have to do an alarm as well?

Old 03-03-2008, 11:58 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
yeah, just do like Chris said:

"find the ground wire for relay 303. Cut the ground and reattach it with two leads of wire into the cab and put a toggle switch on it."

I did something similar to this. So i have the kill switch i added, the alarm that already has a kill switch, the extremely bright flashing LED. I also put a valve in the fuel line when I did the hutch mod. Talk about overkill huh? 99% of the time, I don't use more than just the alarm. When I am leaving the truck somewhere, though, I use them all.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by empiretc
Talk about overkill huh? 99% of the time, I don't use more than just the alarm. When I am leaving the truck somewhere, though, I use them all.
Thanks. Well I understand why...you live in a part of the country where these types of trucks disappear often. Overkill is better than a truck that goes missing into Mexico, never to be seen again.

Quick Reply: Theft Deterrant