Modular V10 (6.8l)  

V10 or 460 v8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:26 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hines182
So the '96 460 may have only made 245hp and 400 lb-ft but didn't the old ones from the late '60s early '70s make a lot more? granted they were carbeurated and old tech. but I kinda want to see how one of those would stack up against a V10 in pulling power. lol of course the V10 would smoke it in fuel mileage.
I don't have torque numbers... but pre-'73 was @365 hp (!)... after that was anywhere from 208 to 275 hp.

In 1983 the 460 was rated at 245 hp as well.

Darned emissions!

Old 02-09-2008, 05:29 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by vee10td
I've been blessed to have all those engines : 390 FE (the 390GT version...in a '68 Torino GT)
Oooooooh yeah, I had one of those too... in a '66 F-100 2wd. I won lots of street drag races as a teenager with that! *memories*

Old 02-09-2008, 06:23 PM
IHI
Senior User
Originally Posted by swann79
1996 460... 245 hp @4000 rpm, 400 ft/lb torque @2200 rpm

2000 V-10...310 hp @4250 rpm, 425 ft/lb torque @3250 rpm (2-valve)
2008 V-10...362 hp @4750 rpm, 457 ft/lb torque @3250 rpm (3-valve)

The numbers don't lie
ever spent much time on actual engine dyno's, chasis dyno's, and then on a race track?...i have, and still do, and anybody that drag races will tell you, numbers do lie, dont want to believe it, that's your business, but I've been victim of it, and have been witness to many so called high output engines, and high output wheel dynoed cars that cant fall out of a tree in real world application....sorry, but after also having being there doing that first hand, real life i will argue with anybodies posted numbers, it's not about how much, it's about how it's applied.

Again, I've seen and helped build 400hp engines that out ran 500hp engines due to drivetrain combination, if you know anybody that's been around drag racing for awhile, call them and find out from somebgody you know and trust before posting up some B.S. you read in a magazine and bore me with what some writer put on paper...big difference between real life experience, and reading/hearing about it....seems alot of interent chatter, like forums, base alot of their thoughts on garbage they read about, and have not/nor ever will deal with what they're trying to talk about personally, and that's what i'm trying to get across to you guys but aparently everybody here is so blinded by interent searches they're forgetting what i've already said, i have both engines, and we use both of these trucks daily for work purposes, yes, some of us actually USE our trucks DAILY for WORK, not show and shine specimens...not ******* anybody on that, but these trucks were built for work, plain and simple, that's what we do with them, we work them, our trucks are just tools to me that need to serve a purpose, otherwise i'da wasted the money on something more gratifying...so please, read what i'm saying and let it sink in before posting more numbers that dont mean chit...i have both trucks and both engines, the 460 is faster loaded/unloaded, towing or bobtailing than the V10 i have, WTF else do you want me to say?

Old 02-09-2008, 06:52 PM
hang10
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by IHI
If you dont like my real life answer, sorry, but I'm not going to come in here and lie about my real world results to appease all you die hard V10 guys.
I think part of the problem is, you read more into my post than what was there. Yeah, he has used my truck to pull his trailer up a grade, more than a couple times. Doesn't mean that I am saying anything about which is better. However, it would appear in this instance, mine works better than his. You may very well be right in regard to drag racing and dynos and all that. All I know is the guy at times has used my truck to pull his trailer up a grade. No, it isn't 26,000 lbs or whatever it is you claim to pull with your 460 but it is up extremely sharp grades. Those are the facts, call BS all you want, it isn't going to change the facts. I will be sure next time I see the guy, to make certain that he knows some anonymous guy on the internet thinks he is an idiot and that his 460 should be able to pull 26000 lbs with ease. I am sure that your opinion will matter as much to him, as it does to me.

Last edited by hang10; 02-09-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:09 PM
me Mickey C
Junior User
Than you Swan79, 500 people read that question & didn't reply, i was beginning to think that it was some kind of a dirty family secret that no one is supposed to talk about.

Now guys i do enjoy stirring the pot every once in a while but i didn't mean to start a war. When this started i told ya'll that i wanted a truck that was easy to work on ( you don't have to be a tech to put a wrench on it ) that i could afford the parts & had enough ***** to tow #10,000. After reading all the posts i think the verdict is in mostly because of one guy ( IHI ) who owns both trucks & has been working them side by side for years. The operative word here is "working", most guys who own these heavy duty trucks don't work them they just drive them around town. It's like all the lawyers, doctors & accountants that buy big harleys just because they can but that doesn't make them a harley guy. It's an ego thing.

I don't mind driving an older truck as long as it is clean & dependable, hell look at what I'am driving now, it's not my only truck it's my "Work Truck". I will begin the search for a 96 or 97 with a 460, Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion

Old 02-09-2008, 08:10 PM
IHI
Senior User
Originally Posted by hang10
I am sure that your opinion will matter as much to him, as it does to me.
Agreed and when you talk to him, have him to a compression check on his 460, cuz obviously something is seriously wrong if your V10 has that much more he has to borrow your truck to tow up a hill, i mean "incline" LOL towmatoe/towmotto:P

Old 02-09-2008, 08:36 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by IHI
ever spent much time on actual engine dyno's, chasis dyno's, and then on a race track?...i have, and still do, and anybody that drag races will tell you, numbers do lie, dont want to believe it, that's your business, but I've been victim of it, and have been witness to many so called high output engines, and high output wheel dynoed cars that cant fall out of a tree in real world application....sorry, but after also having being there doing that first hand, real life i will argue with anybodies posted numbers, it's not about how much, it's about how it's applied.

Again, I've seen and helped build 400hp engines that out ran 500hp engines due to drivetrain combination, if you know anybody that's been around drag racing for awhile, call them and find out from somebgody you know and trust before posting up some B.S. you read in a magazine and bore me with what some writer put on paper...big difference between real life experience, and reading/hearing about it....seems alot of interent chatter, like forums, base alot of their thoughts on garbage they read about, and have not/nor ever will deal with what they're trying to talk about personally, and that's what i'm trying to get across to you guys but aparently everybody here is so blinded by interent searches they're forgetting what i've already said, i have both engines, and we use both of these trucks daily for work purposes, yes, some of us actually USE our trucks DAILY for WORK, not show and shine specimens...not ******* anybody on that, but these trucks were built for work, plain and simple, that's what we do with them, we work them, our trucks are just tools to me that need to serve a purpose, otherwise i'da wasted the money on something more gratifying...so please, read what i'm saying and let it sink in before posting more numbers that dont mean chit...i have both trucks and both engines, the 460 is faster loaded/unloaded, towing or bobtailing than the V10 i have, WTF else do you want me to say?
Please... we're not talking about drag racing here. Ever tried to tow 10,000 lbs with a drag car?

You're entitled to your opinion... go ahead and keep it. Believe me, I've worked trucks in my few years walking this earth, you don't have to lecture me about mall crawlers. I've also put them to use during play in the mountains, and I can definitely tell a difference between two motors. If a 460 works better for you, that's fine. It's not like we're comparing a V-10 vs. a V-6 or anything... I won't deny that the 460 is a fine motor. My experience comes from the seat of a truck, not on a damn dyno or computer. Quite frankly, you are one of maybe 2 or 3 people that I've heard claim the 460 will outperform a V-10 in a Super Duty. I've heard at least 10 times that many claim otherwise.

Any time you're in my area, you are welcome to come try to keep up with me pulling my TT up a mountain pass. Don't worry, I'll slow down enough to keep you in my rearview mirror so you won't get lost

You're welcome Mickey C, I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:49 PM
hang10
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by IHI
Agreed and when you talk to him, have him to a compression check on his 460, cuz obviously something is seriously wrong if your V10 has that much more he has to borrow your truck to tow up a hill, i mean "incline" LOL towmatoe/towmotto:P
No, I won't tell him to do that. I will ask him why he needed mine to pull his trailer up the grade. A hill is a small incline (tomahto), a grade is a steep, long incline (tomato), in these cases, unpaved. I get your point though. 8500 lbs (potato) 11,000 lbs (potahto), 26,000 lbs (pure bull crapollaoh).

Old 02-09-2008, 09:04 PM
IHI
Senior User
Originally Posted by swann79
Please... we're not talking about drag racing here. Ever tried to tow 10,000 lbs with a drag car?
i realise that, but when these keyboard wizards start posting numbers, i have no time for it, the dyno comparison was to basically say, go ahead, post what ford truck magazine, hot rod, rv living, whatever literature you want to read says...numbers are just numbers, advertised numbers are usually tainted, just cuz a magazine says it's making X amount of power does'nt mean a dang thing if it isn't use it properly...THAT is what i was getting at, trying to imply i was talking about towing with a drag car, is just proof of the internet wizard mentality i'm talking about. lots of hear say, but no real world world...i deal with real world and get a kick of of stuff like this, entertainment value, just like magazines.....sure hope none of the number posters ever picks up a national enquirer and reads it, they'd think the sky is falling, post up some quotes and argue about it, but dont have the real life experience of seeing if the sky is falling...it'sprinted on paper/on the web, it must be true LOL.

Hang 10: now why would i lie about the tonage we pull? is it overweight-yes, does packing a few extra ton per trip cut out 1-2 trips overall and save me time and money-yes. If i had a scanner i would scan my scale tickets for you, tell me again about your buddies experineces...i'm not talking about my buddy towing 23-26K of material, I'm talking about ME...not my uncles, cousin, brothers best freind that i heard about from my mom, this is stuff I DO.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:29 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whoa cool it guys. Geez I think both motors are great no question about it. The 460 is a great motor. Its old school big block ford power at its finest. Its about as tough as nails. Its a great truck motor due to its low end torque. With a cam an some performance mods its really a performer no doubt about it. The V-10 is great too in a different way. It has two extra cylinders to make the extra power. The 460 has to rely on its big bore long stroke to get its power. Remeber a superduty is a heavier truck then the old bodystyle Fords 93-97. And rear end ratios could make a difference too. The 460 ha a big following in the performance circles. A bored out 460 to a 514 then you really got some horsepower there.
Ok Im going to go out on a limb an say the new V-10 3 valve motor would toally blow away any 460 or previous V-10 or anybody elses gas motor that currently offered in a pickup. Its awesome. Ive driven one an all I got to say. Hemi hemi. Vortec, Vortec gone. Hey its all Ford V-10 or 460. Thats what counts.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:38 PM
hang10
Posting Guru
I guess you got my point. Why would I lie about a guy using my truck to pull his trailer up a grade? I never said his truck couldn't do it. I never said the V10 was way better, or even a little better than a 460. I said he has a 460, has asked in the past if he could use mine to pull the trailer up the grade to his truck. I naturally assumed his wouldn't do it. I didn't ask him why, if his truck was sick, if he was just saving gas, wear and tear, or if he liked the smell of mine better. That was it. You took it from there.

You may pull 26K, that's fine for you. I wouldn't with any pick up. That's me. At work, we have anything from F250s, to 750s. It gets 18K and above, I check out a 550/650 etc. I don't claim to know the capabilities of a 460, I don't and never have owned one. By the same token, I don't think a V10 is the absolute in truck motors. Mine does what I need it to do, that's all I know and all I care about. I don't much get into the "my truck's bigger than yours" routine. Mine is plenty big for what it needs to do and apparently, for what others need it to do as well. Simple, over and done. Bye.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:47 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
If you really wanna stir the fire just get in an arguement about a 460 vs 454. Talk abouit heated it gets real nasty in a hurry. Maybe he didnt have a low enough first gear or something who noes. I guess its just the idea that somebody tries to implicate that a 460 is lacking something in power which is not the case. I know the 460 like the back off my hand. We have had one in an industrial application not a truck. Have about three off them at the moment an havent had a bit off trouble with any off them period. Ive pulled loads with a V 10 handles it fine. A 460 will do the same. All in all both are fine. Ill try to get some horsepower numbers up for the 460 as well as the V-10 then we can make a comparison for curiosity sake

Old 02-09-2008, 10:14 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
A guy would have to be pretty drunk (or stupid) to think a stock 460 can do anything better than a stock V10, 2v or 3v, all things being equal.

The only explanation is he has a poor running 2v with 3:73's. I drove a 99 with the 3:73's and it was a dog. The 99 I owned with 4:30's was completely different.

It is funny to see guys get so defensive when they are on the wrong side of the obvious.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:38 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Oh gosh maybe some more gas on the fire I hope not. Them 460s no slouches by far. The manual trannies they had in the late eighties in to the nineties were high speeded at best. Definilty more high speeded then the old 4 speeds off years ago. The old granny lows were lower then the newer generation 5 speeds. That would make a difference to. A big difference in getting loads moving. 460s with a few performance mods. High performance cam. Bump the timing some. Open the exhaust upa bit probaly hang with any V-10 excluding the new 3v V-10. Like I said them 460s are great right out off the box but with a few upgrades there very very powerful. Not saying the V 10 couldnt be better or pull loads better is just way the motor is designed. The 460 will produce a bit more torque at lower RPMs then the V 10. Just by the desighn off the engine. Big bore long stroke. Thats coducive to low end power. The V 10 has the two extra cylionders to get its power. It has more off a power band in the upper RPM ranges. I think this modualr vs pushrod debate is still going on in this thread. You know trucks arnt meant to drag race but put the V-10 up against the 460 in the old bopdystyle Ford. That would be a good race. Mod the 460 like I just said an the 460 would proably win. But the V-10 would probably pull better with heavy loads. I would rather have a V 10 today. There definitly more fuel efficient then the old 460s.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:22 AM
IHI
Senior User
Originally Posted by super 6.8
A guy would have to be pretty drunk (or stupid) to think a stock 460 can do anything better than a stock V10, 2v or 3v, all things being equal.

The only explanation is he has a poor running 2v with 3:73's. I drove a 99 with the 3:73's and it was a dog. The 99 I owned with 4:30's was completely different.
Know the funny part?? both are completely stock, both in extended cab long box chasis, both have 3.73 gearing, both have same sized tires...how much more stock configured do ya want for an apples to apples comparison?? If i went and changed gearing in the V10 to optimize it then i'd have to optimize/regear the F250 w/ 460 and I'm sure, no i know based on my drag racing/towing experience, there is a huge DUHHH factor when you regear...raise overall gear ratio and it has no choice but to work more effeicently, thanks for the cup of obvious captain gray matter, your my new hero

here are the two trucks i'm comparing so you can see configuration wise they are identical, yeah different yrs, but i assure you they scale the same weight as they sit in these pictures, but this is about as unbiased of a test you can get, both automatics, both 4x4...everything pretty much identical except engine.

and lets not forget ORIGINIAL question:
"After 2 years i have decided that i know absolutly nothing about diesels & that i should have bought a v10 or 460. So now i am looking for another truck but what should i buy? what year was the last 460 built? Which engine is best for towing? How many RPMs are you turning at 70 mph? Which is the most reliable? Which is the easiest to repair? I know that these are a lot of questions but i want to get it right this time. thanks for the input"

They both tow just fine, they both turn identical rpm's at 70mph, they are both very reliable, the 460 is by far easier/cheaper to repair since the engine is not under the dashboard/parts are stocked everywhere on the shelf. To me is sounds like you want something you can diagnoise/repair pretty easily, old school, since you dont want to learn about the diesel, the 460 is old school, it works, and works great. The v10 does also, but with my trucks the 460 wins, faster/stronger in every sense, maybe if i took and regeared the V10 it'd be better off, then i could install headers, exhaust, chip/tune it, and it'd be much better than the 460....but in stock form as theswe trucks sit, exact in every way, the v 10 aint got anything on the 460.

Oh, if you want to talk mpg. the BEST hwy milage i've EVER gotten with my V10- 11mpg, it was very very close to 12mph, but not quite there. In town it's constantly 8-10mpg depending on what we're doing. The 460 I've only ever kept track on a few occasions, we used it to go to chicago to pick up a plow for it, and criusing down the interstate it averaged 12-14mpg. 14mpg on dino fuel-12mpg dumbazzed ethonal blend.

guess I'll bow down to you V10 gods, i'm just a lucky guy with a freak 460 i guess or a lemon v10.

Quick Reply: V10 or 460 v8?