Sponsored by: Moser

Everyone Must Read

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:17 PM
CarbedNotch
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone Must Read

I've been studying alternative fuels and hydrogen is the best by far. We should develop hydrogen into our old big trucks and travel free of charge. Free of foreign oil free of charge. Let us free this country from its stangle hold please everyone let us develop hydrogen and forget the law of perpetual motion because its Removed by Admin

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-06-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:27 PM
mudslingur
Senior User
Amen to that
I can't even drive my truck no more.Gas here is 3 bucks a gallon. i wish I could make gas,but the only kind i make comes out of my (u get the picture)Mabye one day well be able to run our trucks more often.mabye not for free,but atleast cheaper.

I forgot whats hydrogen,my teacher ain't that smart so I don't know exactly what it is.
Sorry

Last edited by mudslingur; 01-05-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Hydrogen is a flammable gas that can be derived from water. There was a Mythbusters episode where through the use of electrolysis, hydrogen was pulled from water with the intent of creating enough to power a car. The problem was that they couldn't produce enough of it to do the job.

Hydrogen produces great power, but is also hard to control (e.g. hydrogen bombs of the 40's and 50's). The byproduct of burning hydrogen is simply steam, which is back to just air and water again.

Mercedes-Benz and Ford have both been working on viable hydrogen powerplants for years, but have yet to come up with a stable, reliable, consumer friendly ($$$) model.

I did watch a program that had a small research team that paired the use of both hydrogen cells and high storage capacitors to power a small go-kart vehicle. The little thing ran like a bat out of hell, and was reliable too. Now, if they can get their technology moved to the mass market, I think we may be onto something.....barring big-oil completely putting every roadblock possible in their way, which we all know will be a given.

Anyway, the moment that a hydrogen powerplant is available to the market, I'll already be doing my homework for a retrofit into my Ranger.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
There is a guy introducing his Compressed air vehicle to the road next week.
It goes 200 km's on a full tank

Watch for it !

Old 01-05-2008, 11:40 PM
dirtjumper01
Senior User
Yea, Spending $40 to get a quarter tank of gas just isn't worth it.

Imagine filling both tanks: 320

Old 01-05-2008, 11:41 PM
dirtjumper01
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mil1ion
There is a guy introducing his Compressed air vehicle to the road next week.
It goes 200 km's on a full tank

Watch for it !
Is there a website I can check out for this?

Old 01-05-2008, 11:49 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
What is the BTU content of hyrdogen compared to diesel or gasoline? In my opinion hybrid diesels that are set up to run on biodiesel is where we need to head.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:16 AM
crescentwrencher
Elder User
"imagine filling both tanks:320 (barf)"

Ha, ive got four.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:18 AM
crescentwrencher
Elder User
ethanol seems pretty easy, you dont have to use corn you know. theres a bunch of people ive heard of that make it for less than 1$ a gallon, but the set up is a bit spendy

Old 01-06-2008, 03:03 AM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
I just read an article written by (Strangely Enough) Jay Leno, BMW gave him a Flex Fuel 7 series that had a hybrid motor that could run on both gasoline AND hydrogen.
It needed stronger pistons to handle the increased temperature, different mixtures for the hydrogen, but it seemed like a basic gas engine using hydrogen as fuel. I thought it was exciting as hell..

I can easily see someone making kits for these engines 15 years in the future that allow them to run off of Hydrogen. Might need a recast block for strength, but we've got aluminum Clevelands out there, so there are enough talented people that they could do it.

Last edited by ErrorS; 01-06-2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:24 AM
StealthWyvern
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-06-2008, 03:32 AM
F250army45d
Elder User
Well the problem with the oil industry is that we trade it all instead of keeping are own oil within the U.S.A yes it would not cover every need we have but would cut the reliance on foreign oil and trade cost. But legal moonshine would burn with a modified carb! And that would create more jobs for farmers and all that so what the hell are we waiting on?

Old 01-06-2008, 08:41 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
All right. You have a couple of misconceptions there.

Originally Posted by Behemoth
Hydrogen is a flammable gas that can be derived from water. There was a Mythbusters episode where through the use of electrolysis, hydrogen was pulled from water with the intent of creating enough to power a car. The problem was that they couldn't produce enough of it to do the job.
I do not find this surprising. It takes a trememdous amount of energy to get H2 from H2O. Trust me, if it was cheaper to do than producing oil, we would be doing it now.

BTW, all internal combustion engines already run on hydrogen. Just has a little carbon mixed in with it.

Originally Posted by Behemoth
Hydrogen produces great power, but is also hard to control (e.g. hydrogen bombs of the 40's and 50's). The byproduct of burning hydrogen is simply steam, which is back to just air and water again.

Ummmmm, unless you're splitting the atom, you're not doing anything close to a hydrogen bomb with an internal combustion engine. The Hindenburgh might have been a better comparison.

And, in an internal combusion engine running in our atmosphere, the byproducts will not be ONLY steam. Being as our atmosphere is nitrogen rich, you will also have oxides of nitrogen (component of smog) comming out the tailpipe.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:42 PM
jim4
Junior User
Everyone forgets that Hydrogen is a class A flamable. (Regular gas is class C). Remember the Hindenburg, right Hydrogen. Could you imagine new drivers, old drivers, and the lot with a class A bomb on our streets. It will never happen. Steam is the way to go. You can make it cheap and new technology has improved to the point that it is really safe. Boiliers do not blow up any more. Back in the late 1800's Stanley steamer cars went over 100mph, before gas engine in cars existed. Just a thought.

Steam runs our subs, ships, factories, farms it is an old and reliable power source. I say combine small amounts of any fuel with sun (battery power) to heat the water to super steam and away we go.

JIM

Old 01-06-2008, 04:00 PM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
Gasoline is class B, it's a combustible.
Hydrogen is class A ONLY because it's compressed, the main danger being that it outputs a lot of pressure when there is a hole, which can be dangerous (ever pop the top off a small CO2 or propane tank? that's why) or if it's really tightly packed, it expanding enough with a temperature change to cause an explosion, but not necessarily a fire explosion.
I have a CO2 tank I use for plants in my aquarium, it's a class A gas. I'd hardly consider my tiny 5lb CO2 tank more dangerous than a tank of gas.

Hydrogen on its own is no more dangerous than gasoline.. it's containing it that might be more dangerous. A the same time they wont try sticking thin steel or plastic tanks underneath our vehicles, they're going to be made out of some really strong materials.

these tanks are so well insulated they'll keep a can of beer cold for a month.

Here, from BMW's site:

"The other tradeoffs include trunk space, which is cut in half to accommodate the hydrogen tank, and the odd nature of liquid hydrogen overall. The liquid form is uncommon because it has to be kept at cryogenic temperatures to prevent its evaporation. Storage facilities require big-time refrigeration. The Hydrogen 7 uses a superinsulated storage tank. Its 1-inch-thick insulation is equivalent to 17 meters of Styrofoam, according to BMW. It could keep coffee hot for three months. Unfortunately, liquid hydrogen's requirements are greater. When the car isn't using the fuel, it builds pressure. When that pressure gets up to 87 psi — after roughly one day unused — it starts to "boil off," to vent harmlessly, mixed with oxygen by a catalytic converter to create water vapor. The problem is that it can boil off half your fuel in eight days."

Some of these tanks are indeed super high pressure, anywhere from 250PSI to 10,000PSI for a tank of Hydrogen. However, I'm pretty sure they'll lower this before they'll sell consumer cars. BMW implies the PSI of their Hydrogen car is much lower than 250, 100PSI or so doesn't scare me, that's close enough to my tire pressure.

Quick Reply: Everyone Must Read