Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Stroke Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:55 PM
TN_F250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stroke Issues

Alright ya値l, I値l try to make this a short one. Coming home last night I decided to test the truck out at WOT on a back road, which I have never done to this point after all of my mods. From a dead stop without powerbraking I found two things/issues:
  • Shifting from 1 to 2 is lousy at best. There is a huge hesitation then a snap into second.
  • After performing these drag strip type antics, the truck now runs at about 75% which concerns me. I didn稚 hear a pop or any strange sound that would lead me to believe anything is catastrophic.
Symptoms are:
    I知 still a novice when it comes to the PSD; however, I致e done some generic troubleshooting; i.e. inspect and retighten boots, check map line and boost line for leaks, etc. I need to check the system for leaks elsewhere and suppose I should do this by some sort of pvc rig? Also, I知 going to check the turbo for shaft play this evening. I am praying that the turbo isn稚 trying to take one because the holidays are already hard enough without a 1500 dollar hair dryer. And finally, I'm going to change the fuel filter as I haven't changed it since I bought it this past Spring.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

One more little wrench in things, could an electrical issue be causing any of these symptoms?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:11 PM
    TN_F250
    Junior User
    I know this code is probably hard to decipher, but I am kind of paniced and don't know where to start looking.

One more thing I noticed was the hissing from the 6637 got much louder like the intake fell off. It didn't. I tightened it down too.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 PM
    miller_feed
    Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
    I didn't see in your mods that you have the OBA. Truck will start to defuel at 22# boost. And your hair dryer does not like over 25# boost.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:21 PM
    TN_F250
    Junior User
    Originally Posted by miller_feed
    I didn't see in your mods that you have the OBA. Truck will start to defuel at 22# boost. And your hair dryer does not like over 25# boost.
    Guess I need to fix that. Good call. I have one.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:24 PM
    TN_F250
    Junior User
    Originally Posted by miller_feed
    And your hair dryer does not like over 25# boost.
    I know about the 25# deal, but just two days ago it would pull that much harder as it pasted 25#. Now it falls fat on its face at 22-25 and barely reached 26.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:34 PM
    Izzy351
    Post Fiend
    Sounds like a boost leak to me. You can build a boost leak tester out of a few $$$ worth of parts from HD or Lowes (PVC coupler & cap, air hose nipple, other misc parts). Can't find the thread right now, but someone will chime in with it, I'm sure.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:36 PM
    miller_feed
    Hook it, I'll pull it.

To me it sounds like a boost leak. Could be the up-pipes from the manifold or any of the boots on IC pipes or spider.

I am sure one of our pros will chime in on this.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:43 PM
    F250_
    Hotshot
    Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
    Third vote here for a boost leak. I can't find that thread with the homemade boost tester, either right now.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:33 PM
    ron's power stroke
    Post Fiend
    boost leak detector.....3" PVC coupling with a plug for one end.. a pressure gauge regulator from the air compressor rack..drill, tap and build...plugs in where the ccv is in the air intake tube

Old 12-05-2007, 05:38 PM
    nhill2090
    Posting Guru
    Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    also, you need to check your intercooler boots ... since you said low boost and smoke through the RPM range

check the on each side of the intercooler and the two up top above the intake manifold, and even the 2 boots on teh intake manifold itself

it wont hurt to check those

Old 12-05-2007, 07:24 PM
    bdrummonds
    Post Fiend
    Me thinks your HPOP might not be keeping up with the oil demand that the PCM is calling for. it will set a code for a while and then when the PCM see's that the ICP has stabilized the SES light will go out.

Even though the SES light is not on the code should still be stored. check for codes.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:25 PM
    TN_F250
    Junior User
    Originally Posted by ron's power stoke
    boost leak detector.....3" PVC coupling with a plug for one end.. a pressure gauge regulator from the air compressor rack..drill, tap and build...plugs in where the ccv is in the air intake tube
    Thanks. I'll take care of that this weekend. Would it be a smart idea to buy new boots? The truck is almost eight years old.

Originally Posted by nhill2090
    also, you need to check your intercooler boots ... since you said low boost and smoke through the RPM range
    Good call. It looks like the cold side boot on the intercooler has slipped about a quarter inch from full seat. I tightened it up. Thanks.

Would a boost leak cause the SES light to flash like it did?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:31 PM
    TN_F250
    Junior User
    Originally Posted by bdrummonds
    Me thinks your HPOP might not be keeping up with the oil demand that the PCM is calling for. it will set a code for a while and then when the PCM see's that the ICP has stabilized the SES light will go out.
    This is the first time the SES light has gone off. I've had the DP Tuner for about a month and have been pretty hard on it from cruising speed. Although, come to think of it, I tried to put my foot through the floor board this time. Could be BD, could be.

Originally Posted by bdrummonds
    Even though the SES light is not on the code should still be stored. check for codes.
    Now the newbie really shines through...how do I check for codes?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:51 PM
    bdrummonds
    Post Fiend
    Now the newbie really shines through...how do I check for codes?
    You are going to need a code reader. The ones from auto zone or anyother big box auto store dont work. Auto Enginuity is an option but its $300 to $400. How close is Mike(Tenn01PSD) to you? if he is close then yall get together and have a 6 pack or two (but no driving) and check that puppy out.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:05 PM
    nhill2090
    Posting Guru
    Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    Originally Posted by TN_F250
    Thanks. I'll take care of that this weekend. Would it be a smart idea to buy new boots? The truck is almost eight years old.
    it wouldnt hurt to buy new boots...it will run you close to $120-150 for 6 new boots and 12 new clamps, its worth it...i will be buying new ones soon

it could also help to take them off, degrease them and the intercooler tube real good, then spray hair spray inside of the boots before you put them back on. this helps them stay in place better

Originally Posted by TN_F250
    Good call. It looks like the cold side boot on the intercooler has slipped about a quarter inch from full seat. I tightened it up. Thanks.
    i figured that might be your problem once you said smoke through the RPM band. did it fix your problem

the SES light is probably semi-normal, i would have to agree its probably because your HPOP cant keep up seeing as you have an OBA and would make the overboost light nearly impossible

Quick Reply: Stroke Issues