New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!

Vacuum Advance/carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:49 AM
joeytunes
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacuum Advance/carburetor

Hi,

I joined this site on my friends behalf, he doesn't have a computer, so I'm trying to find out for him certain things he wants to do to his truck. He has a 1986 F150 XL 300ci with a 4 speed.

He is in the process of restoring and making some minor modifications to it, he recently replaced the heads, piston rings, bearings, rear main seal, timing chain.

What he wants to do now is replace the electrical advance distributor and carburetor with vacuum advance set up. I have done these conversions before but not on a Ford. He wants to keep it a basically stock set up, so the question...

stock vacuum distributor for the 300?
carburetor, vacuum set up, no electrical plugs?
power source, keep the ECU or new connections?

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Joe "joeytunes" Panzarella

Old 11-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome!

It's great your helping out your friend and to get the help you need you want to use the tech forums. Just click on the Forums tab at the upper left and scroll over the list. There is one for his year of truck and another for the 300. Try 'em out and Good Luck!

Old 11-26-2007, 03:30 PM
PerfDistIgnition
FTE Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeytunes
Hi,

I joined this site on my friends behalf, he doesn't have a computer, so I'm trying to find out for him certain things he wants to do to his truck. He has a 1986 F150 XL 300ci with a 4 speed.

He is in the process of restoring and making some minor modifications to it, he recently replaced the heads, piston rings, bearings, rear main seal, timing chain.

What he wants to do now is replace the electrical advance distributor and carburetor with vacuum advance set up. I have done these conversions before but not on a Ford. He wants to keep it a basically stock set up, so the question...

stock vacuum distributor for the 300?
carburetor, vacuum set up, no electrical plugs?
power source, keep the ECU or new connections?

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Joe "joeytunes" Panzarella
If you decide to get a new distributor, consider our custom curved Duraspark Distributor built with our new Full Length Oil Impregnated Bronze Bushing. The full length bushing improves timing stability and spark scatter. If stock appearance is not an issue, take a look at our one piece D.U.I. Distributor. Whether you choose the Duraspark or the D.U.I., we curve each on a distributor machine based on your engine combination. Please see them at:

http://www.performancedistributors.com/forddistributor.htm

Also, there is now an excellent installation article on the D.U.I. Distributor on the Ford-Trucks.com site at:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/358/article/DUI_Ignition_Installation_In_A_Ford_351W_V8.html