Coolant question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Alpine6
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coolant question...

LONG STORY, but question at the end.

So.. they transmission is taking a dump on me, just nursing it along till my BTS shows up.

So during my nursing period today, my f'ning water pump takes a dump on me, doesn't leave me on the side of the road. I made it back to the farm before I even noticed. Seals/bearing are shot. Fan is all wobbly.

So, of course, I can not get the fan seperated from water pump. I had to remove it all as an assembly (note to others, unloosen the alternator and set it to the side to get it all out as one piece). Took it to a shop to have them remove the fan, no problem with the right tool.

So here's my problem. What coolant do I use? I know I'm supposed to add some SCA stuff. I have an International dealer on my way to work tomorrow. How many gallans should I buy of coolant? And how many things of the additive?

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2007, 06:09 PM
dryfly
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your truck holds 8 gals of coolant.If you have the green coolant.Which I believe you do.You will need at least two bottles of SCA.Fleetgaurd Part#DCA60L.You will also want some test strips.Fleetgaurd part#CC2602.You will need to freshen up the sca level ever 15,000 mi. so they say.I'm checking mine at everyoil change now.I just went and bought a case of the sca.and 50 test stip bottle.Should be good for a while
EDIT.That eight gals.of coolant is an 8 gal50/50mix.not 8 straight gals.Just to be clear

Old 11-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Alpine6
Senior User
Thank you so much. Yes it is green.

I do greatly appreciate the help. There so much debate on coolant on the forum that I just gave up one the search.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:20 PM
dryfly
Elder User
Yea it can be cofusing.So I just am going to stick with the green and do the sca thing.Not really that much trouble anyway.Just one aside.Use the fleetgaurd strips.They are the only ones I believe that check for everthing we need.The ones car quest sells only check for P.h.levels,thats not what we are looking for.Stick with fleetgaurd at the international dealer and you be all squared away.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:05 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,962 Likes on 1,956 Posts
I switched to Rotella ELC and it seems to be working well. I bought the concentrated stuff and diluted it with distilled water.

Change your thermostat to the 203F version and the housing to the billet housing while you are at it.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Alpine6
Senior User
Just finished this little project up. Went to International, got the coolant/additive and strips. I'm going to get the Thermostat and housing eventually. Didn't have time to wait for it, as I NEED my truck for daily use.

Thanks all!
Matt

Old 11-08-2007, 01:11 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

alpine- Wally World has some antifreeze called Final Charge it is already at the 50/50 mix and it does not need the sca stuff. It is 9.95 gal, I changed mine this past weekend it looks like red kool-aid. It is good for 6 years or 600,000 miles. search for antifreeze Izzy posted about this stuff recently which is what made me do the change. My truck came with the gold stuff from the factory but I just hit 5 years old and was doing some PM an this was cheap insurance plus I aint gotta mess with it again for another 6 years or so

Old 11-08-2007, 02:10 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
I have motorcraft FW-16 which is different that what was suggested by Dryfly.
am I using the wrong stuff?

Old 11-08-2007, 05:47 PM
homesteader
Elder User
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
I switched to Rotella ELC and it seems to be working well. I bought the concentrated stuff and diluted it with distilled water.

Change your thermostat to the 203F version and the housing to the billet housing while you are at it.
Leonard where did you get your Rotella ELC concentrate from ? Switch to Rotella ELC but could only find premix it took 6 gal of ELC premix when I did my switch.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:54 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Alpine6
So here's my problem. What coolant do I use? I know I'm supposed to add some SCA stuff. I have an International dealer on my way to work tomorrow. How many gallans should I buy of coolant? And how many things of the additive?

Thanks!
Check out this thread for more details...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/665442-oh-no-how-long-before-cavitation.html?highlight=green+coolant

Old 11-09-2007, 06:35 AM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by homesteader
Leonard where did you get your Rotella ELC concentrate from ? Switch to Rotella ELC but could only find premix it took 6 gal of ELC premix when I did my switch.
I bought mine from a local distributor that I found from Shell's Rotella distributor finder:
http://www.shell.com/home/PlainPageServlet?FC=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/where_to_buy/app_wheretobuy_distributors.html

Only 6 Gal? Did you drain the block too? there are two drain plugs, one on each side of the block. The driver side plug is above the oil filter and the passenger side plug is above the starter motor. Both have 1/4" drive holes so just use a ratchet and a 1/4" extension with a universal joint on the end to loosen them.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:10 AM
homesteader
Elder User
I bought mine from a local distributor that I found from Shell's Rotella distributor finder:
http://www.shell.com/home/PlainPageServlet?FC=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/where_to_buy/app_wheretobuy_distributors.html

Only 6 Gal? Did you drain the block too? there are two drain plugs, one on each side of the block. The driver side plug is above the oil filter and the passenger side plug is above the starter motor. Both have 1/4" drive holes so just use a ratchet and a 1/4" extension with a universal joint on the end to loosen them.
Leonard yes I did drain the block,also remove the drain plug. I also flushed it with at least 20 gallons of distilled water. I couldn't get the plug above the stater out it was really tight. I made several attempts to remove the plug but no luck. I think there were at least 2 gal. of distilled water in the block. That's why I could only get 6 gal in.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:24 AM
stormyrider
Elder User
I have been using the Zerox Gold(G05 formula). This is a five year 150,000 mile coolant and meets ford,Cummins,cat & detroit diesel specs For diesel service.
A word of advice on the test strips, they have a shelf life after which they will not read acurately, so unless you have a fleet, I would not buy the bottle of 50. One of the sponsors on hear sells them in a four pack and some of the New Holland stores give to you for free.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:28 AM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by homesteader
Leonard yes I did drain the block,also remove the drain plug. I also flushed it with at least 20 gallons of distilled water. I couldn't get the plug above the stater out it was really tight. I made several attempts to remove the plug but no luck. I think there were at least 2 gal. of distilled water in the block. That's why I could only get 6 gal in.
Homesteader,

Uh oh. That means the premix has been diluted to something less than 50/50 by the 2 gallons of distilled water in the block. That's why I used the concentrate. I figured there would be distilled water stuck in the block to dilute it so all I had to do was pour in 4 gallons of concentrate and then top up with distilled water. It takes a few days for all the air to work its way to the degas bottle so you may have to add more coolant yet. That also means the premix may not be diluted very much. Maybe you should give Shell a call and see what they have to say about testing the coolant and bringing it back up to 50/50.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:46 PM
homesteader
Elder User
Homesteader,

Uh oh. That means the premix has been diluted to something less than 50/50 by the 2 gallons of distilled water in the block. That's why I used the concentrate. I figured there would be distilled water stuck in the block to dilute it so all I had to do was pour in 4 gallons of concentrate and then top up with distilled water. It takes a few days for all the air to work its way to the degas bottle so you may have to add more coolant yet. That also means the premix may not be diluted very much. Maybe you should give Shell a call and see what they have to say about testing the coolant and bringing it back up to 50/50.
Leonard thanks for the info. That is why I was trying to find the concentrate all they have here is 50/50. I will give shell a call.