Sponsored by:

Fabtech Coil Over Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 01:21 AM
wantaford
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fabtech Coil Over Conversion

Looking at the Fabtech Coil Over Conversion Lift Kit. ( http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/ap...excursion.html ) They offer this kit in a 6" Lift for the Excursion. The only reason I am intrested in this kit is for the Coil Over Suspension Conversion. I want better ride quality, better handling and with some teaking - a tighter turning radius. I hate leaf springs!!!

Anyway......

I am having a tough sell of a 6" lift to my wife who primarily uses the vehicle. So here is my thought. I have inquired with Fabtech on my idea and they have shot me down. My idea is to have some (shorter) custom coils made locally that would give me a lift of around 2 - 4". Which I can get my Mrs. to buy off on. Having springs that are cut/made shorter will that effect the suspension travel to where I would have problems? I have drawn some drawings and made some models and I don't see it being a problem - but I may be missing something! Does anybody see a problem with this.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:24 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
why dont u just get a four inch from fabtech? After i put my fabtech four inch on, ill never go back to stock suspension. It rides awesome now

Old 10-31-2007, 10:06 AM
wantaford
Tuned
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
why dont u just get a four inch from fabtech? After i put my fabtech four inch on, ill never go back to stock suspension. It rides awesome now
Isn't the the Fabtech 4" a Leaf Spring setup? I am after a coilover setup. I really don't want much of any lift, just a enough to squeeze some bigger tires in. My wife is having a fit about this so the lower I can keep it to the ground - the better. I am really after a ride and handling improvement which I believe a coil over set up will accomplish.

I would go and find an '05 and newer F-250/350 parts truck and swap suspension systems but I think that would cost more and be a lot more work and I don't want the mess around the house - my HOA would have a hay day!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:12 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
I thought fabtech made a four inch coil over kit?

Old 10-31-2007, 04:01 PM
wantaford
Tuned
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
I thought fabtech made a four inch coil over kit?
Not that I have seen, for Superduties they offer a 6" or a 8" Coilover. For Excursions they offer a 6" only (don't know what the difference is). I would love to be wrong - the Mrs. could go for a 4" lift kit.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:33 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wantaford
Isn't the the Fabtech 4" a Leaf Spring setup? I am after a coilover setup. I really don't want much of any lift, just a enough to squeeze some bigger tires in. My wife is having a fit about this so the lower I can keep it to the ground - the better. I am really after a ride and handling improvement which I believe a coil over set up will accomplish.

I would go and find an '05 and newer F-250/350 parts truck and swap suspension systems but I think that would cost more and be a lot more work and I don't want the mess around the house - my HOA would have a hay day!
Thats something I would want to do, put the front suspension from an F250/350 on the Excursion. I wonder how hard this would be.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:57 PM
wantaford
Tuned
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion
Thats something I would want to do, put the front suspension from an F250/350 on the Excursion. I wonder how hard this would be.
I have seen it done on this forum. "7.3 Ex" has done it. He made it look pretty easy.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:00 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wantaford
I have seen it done on this forum. "7.3 Ex" has done it. He made it look pretty easy.
Did it improve the handling, ride and turning circle for him and how did he do it.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:07 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Does he post here it would be great if he could give us all the details.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:33 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Ya i have seen what he has done to his truck. Its awesome. He took the front suspension off of a 06 superduty and put it on his 2001 ex. He also has a cummins turbo diesel in it with 35's

Old 10-31-2007, 10:17 PM
200Proof
Senior User
Full Traction Suspension make a 4" 4-link coil over conversion.

http://www.full-traction.com/detail....TID=394&NOTES=

Old 10-31-2007, 11:46 PM
2xtremexj
Senior User
Seems to me you have a couple different options.

1. Get the full traction set up with your favorite coil overs.

2. Get all of the components from Fabtech except for the coil overs (and get the shorter rear leaves). And then source your own coil over like you would with the full traction kit.

I would be surprised if you gained that much turning circle? I would be very curious to see the difference.

Coil overs are wonderful and infinitely adjustable and all but a good set of leaves can be very good also and significantly less expensive.

Just some thoughts,
Michael

Old 11-01-2007, 12:19 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
How good are coil on the trails? I have heard that they can hold up to abuse, but i jsut want to ask ppl on FTE since i believe u guys more

Old 11-01-2007, 01:26 AM
wantaford
Tuned
Originally Posted by 200Proof
Full Traction Suspension make a 4" 4-link coil over conversion.

http://www.full-traction.com/detail....TID=394&NOTES=
I checked out that Full Traction Suspension page - looks like what I am looking for. Wonder what it costs???

Thanks for the tip!

Old 11-01-2007, 09:16 AM
V10raisinCane
New User
You can also look into SkyKing Coilovers. They make about every size you can think of, and if you, or any one you know has any fabricating skills, you can easliy make, or even buy the control arms, and set everything up. That is the way I would do it. Offroad makes a huge difference between coils and leaf springs, ride quality, flex, everything just gets a little better.

Quick Reply: Fabtech Coil Over Conversion