Notices

What 2 do about bad Detail??

Old 10-14-2007, 05:45 PM
FordF350Baby
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What 2 do about bad Detail??

As I posted before, I had my truck detailed by a detail shop that really, really, messed my paint up. Keep in mind, from the truck cab forward, the paint is 1 1/2 years old, the bed paint is about 4 months old. So I had my detail done as always, but i had this one done primarily to remove the over spray from the paint shop. The paint shop that painted my truck the 2nd time to take all the bedside dents out, said they would get it off, but they didnt do anything so i gave up on them and had what i thought was a detail shop, remove the overspray and wax the truck. What i got was way worse than what I had before, its a nightmare. My paint is so clouded, and swirled, its disgusting they could do this to someones brand new paint. I have never off roaded with this truck, I just tow and stay on the roads, and to see my paint destroyed like this just from being detailed, words cant express how mad i am. Heres a bunch of pictures of what i am talking about, and maybe u guys can give me some suggestions how to try and get this cured....

See the swirls? And the cloudy white?

AAgain, what could of caused this?? Them overheading my paint with a buffer and then you can see everywhere the path of the buffer went...Keep in mind, this paint was like glass before they touched it, sure it had some car wash brush marks, but that was it, not this tho...

Last edited by FordF350Baby; 10-14-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:23 PM
pbeering
Elder User
Perform the following inside on cool paint:

1. Wash and dry
2. Using a foam polishing pad and ultra fine grit polish (3M Perfect it III or equivalent), re-polish the truck. (slower speed polisher setting with small amounts of polish, one panel at a time)
3. Wash the polish residue off (with a pressure washer) and dry
4. Glaze with a wheel mark remover with a new foam pad (3M Perfect it III glaze for dark colors or equivalent)
5. Remove all glaze residue with a soft cloth
6. Carefully apply a good wax (we only use Carnuba but there are a lot of options). Be sure to use a new applicator and apply one panel at a time (use straght strokes, not circles)
7. Remove the wax with a soft buffing cloth. Clean the cracks with a clean and soft toothbrush.

There are a number of multi-stage polish/glaze/finish combinations. Many written about here (some in response to your first thread).

There are some who advocate the machine applied waxes. Those are fine and in the hands of a good operator can produce mirrors too. We are purists about hand application of the finish coat, in part for marketing reasons, but there are many ways to accomplish the task at hand.

See: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...Detailing_Sys/

Old 10-15-2007, 12:01 AM
FordF350Baby
Posting Guru
wow pbeering that was very detailed. But I dont think theres any chance in hell I could perform those steps without causing more damage. But I still want some of your professional knowledge. Is what they did to my paint very bad? Is the paint damaged? Can it be recovered still? And what sort of allagation should I use to get my money back from these amatures?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:13 AM
pbeering
Elder User
I think you can heal this. Ideally I'd love to see it at our shop where we'd have you fixed up, but I suspect a pilgrimage to Indianapolis is more than this requires.

You might be able to skip the polishing steps and buff on some wheel mark remover (or have it done) and then finish with a good wax job applied as I suggested.

The wounds are mostly on the paint surface. Unfortunately the darker the surface, the more that shows (why my personal fleet is white)

They appear to have done a marginal job on the finish coat. Unfortunately one of the realities of polishing, (a necessary evil to remove the overspray that started this saga), is that when the wax wears off due to time, washing, etc. you see the swirls. (a black vehicle should be waxed 3-4 times a year)

Old 10-15-2007, 10:12 AM
FordF350Baby
Posting Guru
ya damn i know, it sucks, but black is just so badass, and i went into the black paint job knowing that it would require extreme care and plenty of wax jobs, which i do. I have been waxing 3-4 times a year, and it has always look picture perfect until the overspray haunted the glossy finish, and then this recent detail has real screwed it up, its so dissapointing, I cant even describe the frustration. I feel like i get tossed around so badly with everything i do, the body shop that we have given over $12,000 too with all our vehciles for paint jobs ect just shamelessly oversprayed their own product, so quite frankly i trace this whole ordeal back to them, other wise this detail shop would not of had to focused on the overspray and just been able to give it their routine wax job.

Last edited by FordF350Baby; 10-15-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:47 PM
randomhero1172
Posting Guru
nice tires BTW - ATR Scorpians. had 2 sets of em and they are great in EVERY condition. They even dig deep when going through mud. Good luck with the paint

Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 AM
FordF350Baby
Posting Guru
Thanks Rando. I did get them to fix the bad detail, it looks great. The detail shop is still blaiming the paint job for the bad detail, and he said he had to use something called "Final Glaze" to get the paint to shine, and he said that was something the body shop should have applied after it came out of the booth. Anyway ya those tires are the ****, there great in snow, and all around, and for speeding. Next tire set i am getting them again but going up he next sze to 285's instead of the 265's

Old 10-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Firemut30
Senior User
Isn't it sad no one takes blame for crappy work!! My wife took my truck to have the inside detailed, ya know how you just think of spilling something in these trucks and you get a stain, well my wife went a step further and dumped a 32oz dr Pepper on my seat. The detail shop did a crappy job on it, so we bought some upholstery cleaner and did it ourselves(my wife).