1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

what code reader do you all have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 01:10 PM
goodwrench
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what code reader do you all have?

i am looking to get one that will work on my 99 2.5 ranger. And working on others vehicles would be nice... What code readers can do is also confusing. I have read some read codes, some can read sensor output, some can read codes from other parts of the car?? Anybody fill me in?? What would be a good one to invest in?? i have also read that there are some that can work from a laptop, which i have, any input on this type??

later!! chris

Old 09-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
ELM 328 (as I remember) microchip and OBD-II scaning program on notebook. I can read and clean codes and see OBD-II data, like engine load, sensors reading ore MPG...

Old 09-16-2007, 02:39 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Well a code reader is different than a scantool.

A code reader can do just that & maybe erase codes, it's less costly .

A scantool is more expensive, but can do more, like read PID's from engine sensors, so thats a big help in diagnostic work.

Both of the above are portable, small & easy to use.

There are scan tools that'll work on OBD-1, OBD-2 & will, or are able to be reprogrammed for the new CAN network diagnostics, but these more versatile scan tools are more expensive & you'll need the specific hook up cables for the different brands of OBD-1 cars you have.

In 05, Santa bought me a Actron CP-9150 scantool kit, that covers all the families of Ford, GM & Chrysler vehicles, from 85, to present, with the hookup cables needed to connect to the OBD-1 vehicles, as well as the OBD-2 cable & it has lghter & battery hook up power connectors for under hood or in cabin driving work, as well as an extra long diagnostic cables, so if the diagnostic hook up connector is under hood, as it was on OBD-1 vehicles, you can run the cables into the cab, while someone drives the vehicle & you monitor the vehicles PID's while underway.

So long, say 8 ft., hook up cables are nice.

The laptop software driven tools are nice too, if you like lots of graphic displays, but they are larger heavier & less managable to work with underhood & some don't have cables long enough for you to get out of the drivers seat with it.
Also most laptop models won't cover pre OBD-2 models, so if you have older computer vehicles, be sure to inquire about the softwares coverage & if they offer the vehicle computer hook up cables, many, or most just dont cover OBD-1 vehicles.

Many of all the above don't cover the ABS, Chassis, or Transmission computers & can't retrieve codes from them.

Some code readers & scan tools can't read manufacturer specific engine computer codes either, they just read the generic P0 codes.

Some won't cover foreign OBD-1, or you must have a different model to scan them.

So imo you need a tool that'll at least read the maufacturer specific codes of the vehicles you have to work on.

You'll also want one able to read, or be reprogrammed to read the CAN diagnostics, on newer vehicles.

The Actron CP-9145 & CP-9150 scantools will.

So generally thats it, depends on what year & range you want to cover & in what depth you want to be able to do your diagnostics & how much money you want to spend.

My CP-9150 kit cost Santa about $250 in Nov 05, but I've seen it for less than $190 on E-Bay. So I imagine it would cost maybe $150 now, to get a decent scantool, that'll read PID's & manufacturer specific codes & cover OBD-2 & CAN vehicles, 95 & up, & maybe a little more. if you want to cover all OBD-1 US made vehicles back to about 85.

Just some thoughts for pondring.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Good post pawpaw.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:38 PM
customstringer
Elder User
Paw Paw really covered it all. Actrons are the most commonly available scanners. All types from big to small. I did alot of research in terms of most features for the buck and decided to get the Equus Innova 3030. Reasons were that it will read OBDII and CAN, plus erase codes One big difference is it comes with both a paper manual as well as a CD, plus an internet connection for updates. At one point available for under $60 bucks with free shipping on Amazon.