Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is my turbo going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:27 PM
02f250fx4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my turbo going bad?

Today coming home from work my truck made a n awful screaching noise. You can only hear it at low speeds. It only does it once in a while, it seems to be only when you get the rpms ups. I thought it was the belt, but the belt looks to be good, got another one I will put on tomorrow just to make sure. I drove it to the store to night and nothing happened. Went to move the truck tonight and it did it again. Could this be my turbo going out? If so should I stop driving it immediatley until I can get the turbo rebuilt? Thanks

Oh yea, 02 f250 fx4

Old 09-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Quick test.

Rev the engine in your driveway. If you can get it to screach, it's the belt.

The turbo won't spool up until your engine is under load. Revving the engine in the driveway doesn't put a load on it, so that's how you can separate the noises.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:33 AM
Powerstrokedlariat
Postmaster
You could always remove the fan belt as well to completely rule it out.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:19 PM
02f250fx4
Junior User
I can't get it to duplicate it in P or N just when I was driving it. It only did it a couple times yesterday and nothing today. I did notice though that my boost will usually run up to about 22 psi and today I would be lucky to get it past 15psi.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:40 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a similar thing happen monday noise seemed to go up and down with turbo whistle when I would get on it some would go away then come back at lower throttle

after it warmed up bout 2 mi abruptly stopped and hasn't come back

Old 09-05-2007, 09:12 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
I just spent an hour replacing my "belt tensioner assembly" cause after my fuel leak incident last week and the subsequent degreasing of the motor I appearantly washed all the lube out of the smooth wheel. Stupid parts house could order the two pulley wheels for $33 each, and take two days for delivery, or I could get the whole assembly for $79 immediatley. loosen belt spin belt tensioner wheels and make sure they have no drag, and are smooth. If not Orielleys has the assembly in stock. But like Curtis said if it doesnt do it in P or N then it may be the thrust bearing in the turbo.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:57 AM
02f250fx4
Junior User
I will check the tensioner pulley just to be sure. Stupid question what is the thrust bearing? Could I get the wicked wheel and that cure the problem or am I looking at having to get the whole turbo rebuilt? If I have to get the turbo rebuilt am I better off getting a aftermarket turbo like a garret ball bearing? Thanks for all the help

Old 09-06-2007, 01:35 AM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
You should check your turbo bearing at your earliest opportunity. Remove the rubber boot that attaches to the turbo inlet. Grab hold of the nut on the center of the compressor wheel with your thumb and first two fingers. Test the end and side play by pushing and pulling on the nut, and by trying to move the nut left and right and up and down. The nut shouldn't move more than a few thousandths of an inch in any direction, and for sure, you shouldn't be able to force the wheel so that it touches the case.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:03 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
I just spent an hour replacing my "belt tensioner assembly" cause after my fuel leak incident last week and the subsequent degreasing of the motor I appearantly washed all the lube out of the smooth wheel. Stupid parts house could order the two pulley wheels for $33 each, and take two days for delivery, or I could get the whole assembly for $79 immediatley. loosen belt spin belt tensioner wheels and make sure they have no drag, and are smooth. If not Orielleys has the assembly in stock. But like Curtis said if it doesnt do it in P or N then it may be the thrust bearing in the turbo.
think that was my problem top idler bearing is still intact but sounds like separators is broke
didn't make any noise idling or reving and is still quite but on my way to get a new one

Old 09-06-2007, 10:08 AM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you have the 6.0 right? if so it could possbily be the turbo they kill those things off quick, well in my expierences they have

Old 09-06-2007, 10:16 AM
k2vailkid
Senior User
Originally Posted by 02f250fx4
Today coming home from work my truck made a n awful screaching noise. You can only hear it at low speeds. It only does it once in a while, it seems to be only when you get the rpms ups. I thought it was the belt, but the belt looks to be good, got another one I will put on tomorrow just to make sure. I drove it to the store to night and nothing happened. Went to move the truck tonight and it did it again. Could this be my turbo going out? If so should I stop driving it immediatley until I can get the turbo rebuilt? Thanks

Oh yea, 02 f250 fx4
My turbo turned out to be the issue and I shared those symptoms. My WW had been hitting the inside of the compressor housing, and once I got the turbo off the truck, all the fins on the exhaust turbine were jagged and weak. Still can't figure out why... Eugene's troubleshooting method is the way to start. I would eliminate the turbo shaft play issue (it's easy), hoping it's not the case. I'm thinking the belt pulley would be the next easiest step.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:19 PM
02f250fx4
Junior User
I did pull the intake off before heading to work and it appears that the housing is slightly lighter in color than the rest of the housing, almost like the wheel has slightly been brushing the inside. The wheel seems to have a little play and if I remeber correctly I can force the wheel to touch the side of the housing. The fins are not pitted but appear to have a lighter color than the rest of the wheel on the fins leading edges. I will try to figure out how to post some pics. Since it appears that I have to much play, how can I tell if the housing is still good and what do I need to get to fixs this problem. It is my daily driver and need to get it fixed ASAP. On a side note it only made the noise once on the way home from work this morning and nothing tonight on the way to work. Thank you for your help. Hopefully I won't have to get a whole new turbo.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:21 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
If u get a new turbo, go stage 3 haha.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:10 PM
02f250fx4
Junior User
Talking

Originally Posted by mikeismadness
you have the 6.0 right? if so it could possbily be the turbo they kill those things off quick, well in my expierences they have
Now what 02 do you know of that has a 6.0. I wanted the dependable 7.3

Old 09-06-2007, 09:57 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 02f250fx4
Now what 02 do you know of that has a 6.0. I wanted the dependable 7.3
haha, my bad, i forgot 01 wasnt the last year for the 7.3

Quick Reply: Is my turbo going bad?