Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

General Chatter, Part II

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Eric!! I spent seven years in Alaska and know better than to park near a building for the same reason ~ The ice chunks off the roof, and, BAM!! no more car!! Ha! Ha!

We have Vestas V.92 wind turbines on our wind farm. We have seven erected and sixty-five to go. The foundations are all in, so we are just flying the towers, nacels and hubs as weather allows, but have to have all seventy-two commissioned by November 15th!! That only gives us six weeks,,, It's gonna be a bit intense, but we'll get it done!

Been going to the gym twice a week since June and spending two hours on the stair-master, treadmill, bikes, and doing plennty of leg presses as well as upper body trying to get prepared for climbing those puppies!! I'm so excited!!

Old 09-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Eric C.
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better get out there and push them millrights as quick as you can. We were doing 2 a day per crew and had 7 crews just doing the commisionings. I was doing the electrical power ups and the generator alignments on the GE 1.5s. Watch out on the down towers they wired the transformers backwards on over half the ones we did over a 2 year period. Then the didn't wire the neutrals, they went back to hot leg and god was that a mess.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Funny how the wind can shut down a wind farm!! Ha! Ha!! Ha!! We had 68mph winds at the tower tops today, so we didn't get to fly anything!! But we are supposed to have a calm day tomorrow, so we are gonna fly two nacels and three hubs as well as two walk downs (inspections of completed units). As long as the wind holds, we'll keep making progress!!

We are making inspections after every time anybody touches any component just to make sure that those kinds of things don't happen. That would make for a huge set-back!!!

Old 10-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Eric C.
Elder User
I think we should trade jobs for a while, you come over here and deal with this bunch and I'll go climb all day. Nothing beteer than having one bone head tell you you don't know what you're doing and then have 2 others when you tell them not to do something they do it and then turn around and undo it. NIGERIANS, dumb as a bag of rocks. 2 hours every morning waiting on the work permits, they get 1/2 hour tea break and gone for better than 1. The list goes on and on, and on...

Old 10-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Good Lord!! How frustrating!! How much langer do you have to stay there?

Old 10-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Eric C.
Elder User
Well after dealing with all the crap, waiting for paperwork, 2 hour meetings about how to safely lift things at half the capacity of the crane, they dumped 250 gallons of oil on the deck and the ensuing investigation, Deluges of rain, can't use air tools due to the possability of sparks, waiting for them to move parts from one end to the other of the ship TWICE, and any other screwball problem, IF (notice the big if) nobody screws anything up between now and Saturday, I'll start it and run it then Tuesday, as Shania Twain says. " I'M OUT OF HERE" . I've had 4 weeks on the fun ship BONGA, owned by Shell Nigeria Exploration & Production Company which I believe 2 well place torpedos could cure.

Now that I've had a good rant, the next one is a piece of cake, 4 days in Benecia California, across from San Francisco. Pakistan is on hold for now but we'll see.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Must be nice getting paid to hang out on an exciting cruise ship...Some of us have to work for a living...LOL

Originally Posted by Eric C.
Well after dealing with all the crap, waiting for paperwork, 2 hour meetings about how to safely lift things at half the capacity of the crane, they dumped 250 gallons of oil on the deck and the ensuing investigation, Deluges of rain, can't use air tools due to the possability of sparks, waiting for them to move parts from one end to the other of the ship TWICE, and any other screwball problem, IF (notice the big if) nobody screws anything up between now and Saturday, I'll start it and run it then Tuesday, as Shania Twain says. " I'M OUT OF HERE" . I've had 4 weeks on the fun ship BONGA, owned by Shell Nigeria Exploration & Production Company which I believe 2 well place torpedos could cure.

Now that I've had a good rant, the next one is a piece of cake, 4 days in Benecia California, across from San Francisco. Pakistan is on hold for now but we'll see.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:35 AM
Eric C.
Elder User
Originally Posted by Placermike
Must be nice getting paid to hang out on an exciting cruise ship...Some of us have to work for a living...LOL
You funny man. 10 years of doing this work since I got out and been doing mechanics work since I was 8 years old and I have never been so closed to just walking away from a job in my entire life as yesterday. If the heleocopter would have come last night I would have been on it. Not much to say about the local staff other than "THEY SUCK".

Old 10-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Eric C.
... I've had 4 weeks on the fun ship BONGA, owned by Shell Nigeria Exploration & Production Company which I believe 2 well place torpedos could cure....
Ha! Ha!! Ha!!! Now that was funny!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Borrowed From Racergirl and NV Chapter

A nun, badly needing to use the restroom, walked into a local Hooters restaurant. The place was hopping with music and loud conversation and every once in a while the lights would turn off. Each time the lights would go out, the place would erupt into cheers. However, when the revelers saw the nun, the room went dead silent.

She walked up to the bartender, and asked, "May I please use the restroom?

The bartender replied, "OK, but I should warn you that there is a statue of a naked man in there wearing only a fig leaf."

"Well, in that case I'll just look the other way," said the nun.

So, the bartender showed the nun to the back of the restaurant. After a few minutes, she came back out, and the whole place stopped just long enough to give the nun a loud round of applause.

She went to the bartender and said, "Sir, I don't understand. Why did they applaud for me just because I went to the restroom?"

"Well, now they know you're one of us," said the bartender, "Would you like a drink?"

But, I still don't understand," said the puzzled nun.

"You see," laughed the bartender, "every time someone lifts the fig leaf on that statue, the lights go out."

Old 10-06-2007, 09:35 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Friends.
Just a quick note to say at this time it looks like my heart is failing do to scare tissue. I will finely be in Seattle the first part of November when Medicade kicks back in. Don't sound like there is much they can do. So I am hopeing it turns out to be someting else. Doc wants to ship me down now but without med coverage I won't go. I owe so much to so many already. I won't leave a debt like that to my Wife.

Luv Ya All and Thanks Arctic

Old 10-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
You might want to weigh the cost of waiting...Debt is far easier to deal with than not having a person at all. In any case, keep us posted as to when you will be down.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Eric C.
Elder User
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do Tricky, and all our prayers are with you no matter what your decision is. I side with mike and the debt can be handled if you're still around.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:20 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I go in for a check up once a week. Doc and EMT's are right on top of me. They are useing me for there blood pressure practice.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
http://www.king5.com/topstories/stor...1455c83f8.html

I'm kinda glad I'm not working there anymore. On the other hand, I probably won't get called back there either.

Quick Reply: General Chatter, Part II