1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

getting rid of vent windows going to 1 piece

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:05 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kit by "Sacremento Vintage Ford". Custom Classic Trucks magazine ran a article on doing the mod on the side windows. Have a great day,chuck

Old 03-11-2008, 11:07 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford
Just checked out your gallery on the solid side glass install, excellent gallery, now if I could find one as good for a 56 that would be even more excellenta. very good infor thanks
John
the 56 should be easier as the glass is straight and the door hinges aren't in the way..

Midfifty catalog
<pre>
1956 SOLID SIDE WINDOW CONVERSION Page 83, 2007
1956 SOLID SIDE KIT FOR USE WITH POWER WINDOW KITS
No lower lift channels,ALL power window kits come with lower lift channels.
Order your choice of colors,
Clear, Tinted, Smoke, Blue or Double Dark . .91726-NO . . . . .$285.00 kit
</pre>
Sam

Old 03-12-2008, 04:42 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Thanks Sam, I was on Midfiftys web site. I was checking out thier how to do's, and there is an 3 page article but it only lets you view the first page. I have delt with them in the past with pleasant results, so I'll shoot them an email to see if I can get to view the last 2 pages of the install, thanks again.

John

Old 03-12-2008, 06:15 PM
bememe
Senior User
Just some thoughts on Vintage Glass. I ordered the kit for my 60 for one piece door glass. A couple of weeks after ordering the glass showed up but the rest of the kit is backordered. So I check the fit on the glass and it is way off. After numerous calls & emails I got ahold of LC and sent pix off to him via email. Now several days later, nothing for a response. Emailed more email addresses and phone numbers, nothing. Finally got ahold of the woman who answers the phone,who sounds to be relayingmy info to LC, and am told new glass plus the rest of the kit will ship in a week. So we'll see what I get I guess. They don't seem interested in talking to their customers??? I am in no hurry for the stuff but would like some kind of response to let me know they give a crap.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:09 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by bememe
Just some thoughts on Vintage Glass. I ordered the kit for my 60 for one piece door glass. A couple of weeks after ordering the glass showed up but the rest of the kit is backordered. So I check the fit on the glass and it is way off. After numerous calls & emails I got ahold of LC and sent pix off to him via email. Now several days later, nothing for a response. Emailed more email addresses and phone numbers, nothing. Finally got ahold of the woman who answers the phone,who sounds to be relayingmy info to LC, and am told new glass plus the rest of the kit will ship in a week. So we'll see what I get I guess. They don't seem interested in talking to their customers??? I am in no hurry for the stuff but would like some kind of response to let me know they give a crap.
I went to Vintage to get my one piece glass but should have ran away. I got parts of the kit when I was there and paid the total, about 2 weeks later I got the glass with no hardware. I was in Charlotte at the auto fair and got LC's cell phone number and called him. He finally shipped all that I needed with some half a. instructions. After about a year I finally got all the parts and installed them. I like the way they look and work but If I had it to do over I might not consider Vintage. Mine are for 1948 F-1. Some time we put uo with a lot of crap for what we want. Unless we can put our hands on it we are always at someones mercy.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:37 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
With all that said, it would be of great benefit for future users to actually use the search on the forum and us kit users can just tell them to forget the kit and source everything from a glass shop. There is nothing unique or out of the ordinary in the kit. The wipers are standard issue (chrome or black), the channel is but 1 of many configurations available based on the thinkness of the glass and the outer dimension and come in a standard 6 and 8 foot lengths. They can be coiled to ship but the wipers must be kept flat/straight. The glass would have to be cut from a pattern after tweaking from a fiberboard or plexi beta sample. It could be fine fitted using the actual felts/channels and then cut to glass. The channel for the front supports is a simple tin piece that can be copied from the stock piece at the rear of the door. The only issue would be patience in forming the channel around the glass corners to avoid having the bead separating from the felt as it need to be "massaged" slowly around the corners. A tube of silicone or weatherstrip adhesive is all one would need to final glue the channel in place after all the fine fitment. The kits are a sham IMO and most all of us can do better for less. I understand that a number of glass shops are even collecting the patterns for 1 pc as they do the installs with no kits on a number of trucks. One in Denver does for sure but it is lam not tempered. Keep in mind, all the kit vendors are buying from glass house suppliers and then making a kit to go with a piece of glass.
Jon

Old 03-13-2008, 07:36 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Talking

Vintage Glass actually cut their own glass but send it out to be tempered. Best I can tell they wait until they get enough orders to send it to get it tempered. I feel like that is what took them so long to get mine to me. The kit was very easy to install but if you know what it takes I feel sure you could find a piece of chanel and bend a 90 degree piece and that is all it takes except for the felts around the glass and the dew strips. I think most people have a dislike for messing with door glass and think a kit is the easy way not knowing any thing about it.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:35 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something very important to keep in mind since you're chopping your top. You cannot cut tempered glass, so you need to ensure that you're buying laminated glass (which can be cut). The previous reply mentioned that they thought Vintage Glass cut their own and then sent it out for tempering.If that's the case and you can live with their tardyness then fine, otherwise.....

I tried to buy a kit from Mid-Fifty because they said they still had some laminated (flat) glass....When I placed my order, they no longer had any....Now I have half a kit - no glass and lacking another part. So I think I'm going to be stumbling through it on my own....

(wow!, my 2 thousandth and oneth post...)

Regards,

Old 03-13-2008, 09:54 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Well, this is why I posted my thoughts. Most vendors just have a way to let us down with the window kits because they kit them just as we would. It is one thing or another. They ship incomplete because thay can bill your CC for the whole amount then you are forced to wait. With cut lam glass and the rest of it in your hands at least you can work on the doors without all the BS Carp the vendor comes up with. The guys at glass shops can assist you in buying the correct wipers and channels too. This is all only if you can live with laminated glass. If not, then get a kit. Most users just are not happy with the stories and the instructions are of little help anyway. Most vendors order the glass in lots, send for temper and then wait for the other stuff to come in to gather into a kit all while trying to run the rest of their business so delays are the norm. The guys like VG can cut and send for temp but still must kit it up. It just seems there is a higher number of unhappy guys than there are happy guys with the kits. It is a good thing there is a choice. I got the kit from Jokers Are Us, ( John's ) but have since helped 6 other effie owners do their trucks better for less with no kit. Thank you to "Jokers are us" for helping me see the light.
Jon

Old 03-14-2008, 03:49 PM
bememe
Senior User
Now.... If only I can learn from this somehow! Thanks for the info. I thought I had seen where a few here had good luck with VG in a post here. Anyway some things ya gotta figure out the hard way. And I still might get a kit that works, we'll hafta see.